Alexmc89

Better way to seal knife sheath?

Hey everyone, 

I recently started leather work about four months ago. I have been reading a lot of forums trying to learn as much as I can and  I have started making pancake style knife sheaths. I made one for my brother in law-This is the third one I have made, so I still have a lot to improve on and learn. I Used eco-flow Cova color acrylic paint on the flag. I sealed it with two coats of Fiebings tan Kote. He rubbed up against something pretty good while working and scratched it up. I was wondering if there’s a better product to seal leather up with, more so with acrylic paint? I just want to fix this on my end as well as I can so my work will last as long as it can. I know leather is going to scratch easy, so should I just warn them to be careful while wearing them?

Thanks 

8CFE2643-A28D-4DE4-9C17-1AD921265806.jpeg

0139566C-0763-47C7-B907-770C71356525.jpeg

Tan Kote is not a final finish sealer. Its just another top coating. 

For sealing after work, some thinned coats of Resolene or Super Sheene. At least 3 coats of either, thinned with water 1:1.

For further protection of the paintwork put on two or three coats of 'Pledge with Future Shine' or whatever it is currently called**. Its on the supermarkets shelves as a floor 'polish' but its actually a water thin acrylic varnish

** the makers keep changing its name

Thank you very much. I’m still trying to learn all differences between super sheen, tan Kote, wyosheen, resolene, etc. Put the pledge on after the resolene or super sheen I suppose? 

yes