After seeing @vikefan  do a recent post about his pancake sheath (link below) I realised I also needed one for carrying my pocket knife on my belt... So I tried to emulate his design, but my prototype didn't work so well (I'm sure it was me, not his design that was lacking.) I ended up with this effort:

Riem's pancake knife sheath

Made from 3.5mm vegtan scraps, dyed with a local alcohol based dye, hand stitched with a 1mm black nylon woven thread I found locally (apparently used to sew soles to shoes, but what do I know).

Good looking design.  Nice work!

4 hours ago, hawgrider said:

Good looking design.  Nice work!

Thanks for the appreciation!

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 2:13 AM, Riem said:

my prototype didn't work so well 

Nice and solid, stitching is even and straight, dye job is ... black! :lol: Looks pretty good to me.

7 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

Nice and solid, stitching is even and straight, dye job is ... black! :lol: Looks pretty good to me.

Thank you for the feedback!

Looks nice, what SPI/stitching chisel brand did you use?  Stitching is really clean, I'm impressed.

5 hours ago, MarkCdub said:

Looks nice, what SPI/stitching chisel brand did you use?  Stitching is really clean, I'm impressed.

Many thanks for the compliments. I used an overstitch wheel with 4.5 mm spacing and a diamond awl. I own only one stitching chisel - Ivan tools - but I rarely use it nowadays.

Baie nice Riem. Het jy die leer nat gevorm? En sit die mes stewig in sy sakkie?

Haai Wreford, baie dankie vir die kompliment! Die leer is net gedeeltelik nat gevorm. Ek het eers die skede heeltemal klaar gemaak en toe liggies aan die binnekant met 'n spuitbottel natgemaak (nadat die kleursel goed droog was). Daarna het ek die mes in kleefplastiek toegedraai en oornag in die skede gelaat. En die mes sit lekker knus, maar nie so stewig dat mens sukkel om dit uit te kry nie. Ek dra graag 'n knipmes - mens weet nooit wanneer jy 'n stukkie weerstandige biltong raakloop nie... :-)

Ns: Dink jy ek moet bostaande vertaal of gaan dit te veel verduideliking vra? B)B)B):rolleyes:

Vertaal verseker

So in the above Afrikaans language exchange between Wreford and I he asked if I wet formed the sheath and if it retains the pocket knife well? In my reply I explained that I first completed the construction and dye before I lightly sprayed the inside of the sheath, wrapped the knife in cling wrap plastic, stuck it into the sheath and allowed it to dry overnight. I added that the knife fits snugly - not so that it's difficult to draw, especially when I'm "confronted" with a piece of biltong that needs carving up for a snack... :unsure:

I don't know... I think it looks really nice to me!  Stitching is even and looks great!

Keep in mind, we are all artists.. and have our own interpretations on the designs we come up with.

I like it!  It looks functional and very professional.

Vikefan

I like it alot, so ive been away for a little while. What size punches are you using? Also what is the belt is 2" wide.

I don't see anything wrong with it! Good job.

Riem

If you have access to a food vacuum machine, another way to do that holster would be to wet the leather, wrap the knife in cling film, then place a piece of wood inside the plastic bag then the knife in the centre of it and place the leather over the knife in the correct position, You then start the vacuum machine and at the same time press around the knife until you have the required fit. then leave it sealed in the vacuum for about 12 hours and then release the vacuum and let the leather fully dry out. when dry lay it over the back panel and sew etc. you will have a very tight fitting holster and the back piece will be flat against your body

https://www.aldi.co.uk/vacuum-food-sealer/p/096408298075500?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_NKN_tKb5QIVQuDtCh1JUw8AEAQYBSABEgJDAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by chrisash

Apologies friends - I missed a couple of the later comments and feedback.

On 10/11/2019 at 9:11 AM, Vikefan said:

... I think it looks really nice to me!  Stitching is even and looks great!

Keep in mind, we are all artists.. and have our own interpretations on the designs we come up with.

I like it!  It looks functional and very professional. 

Vikefan

@Vikefan

thanks for the compliments. Really appreciate it!

On 10/14/2019 at 3:49 AM, Goblin210 said:

What size punches are you using? Also what is the belt is 2" wide. 

@Goblin210

Thanks for the comment! I didn't use punches at all, only an overstitch wheel and a diamond awl. It is meant to be worn on a 38 mm wide  belt.

On 10/14/2019 at 10:13 AM, toxo said:

I don't see anything wrong with it! Good job. 

@toxo

Thank you very much!

On 10/14/2019 at 1:37 PM, chrisash said:

If you have access to a food vacuum machine, another way to do that holster would be to wet the leather, wrap the knife in cling film, then place a piece of wood inside the plastic bag then the knife in the centre of it and place the leather over the knife in the correct position, You then start the vacuum machine and at the same time press around the knife until you have the required fit. then leave it sealed in the vacuum for about 12 hours and then release the vacuum and let the leather fully dry out. when dry lay it over the back panel and sew etc. you will have a very tight fitting holster and the back piece will be flat against your body 

https://www.aldi.co.uk/vacuum-food-sealer/p/096408298075500?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_NKN_tKb5QIVQuDtCh1JUw8AEAQYBSABEgJDAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

@chrisash

Thanks for the tip - will do so if I make another of these. Not sure if the wife will consent, but hey, live and learn! :-)

Made a 'lil brother pancake sheath for the red Swiss army knife I usually have in my pocket. 'Lil brother to the larger sheath I posted about in August, so I'm showing them together. The new sheath is a bit of a chance I'm taking on a 1 - 1.2 mm vegtan kip leather I purchased recently. Not sure if it will be durable enough for longer term carry. Stitched up with a red 0.5mm TSA (three strand acrylic) Chinese "upholstery" thread. Feedback welcome.

Front view:

20200107_123751-01.jpeg.3a6803335fd993b2518bde46f90605df.jpeg

Back view:

20200107_123823-01.thumb.jpeg.62e26ad3dca9e463ac54d4051d221e9d.jpeg