HI Folks - I have a Singer 96-16 industrial machine and I am in need of some sewing machine repair help - any one out there have experience with this machine or know someone who does repairs to this type of machine?

Thanks Paula

I have a 1936 Singer 96-40.  What kind of repairs does your machine need?

CD in Oklahoma

FYI - The parts manual for it is at http://parts.singerco.com/IPpartCharts/96-3_10_12_16.pdf

Edited by cdthayer
added parts manual link

I once owned a Singer 96k40, which was a tailoring machine similar to the 31-15. Both use Class 15 side load bobbins and have bottom feed only. The 96 is lighter duty than the 31 series.

Thanks so much CD and Wiz   - I am in Oregon and looking to find a service tech  even out of state I suppose.  The service folks around here don't work on these older industrial machines. I have the parts manual but need some help with diagnosis or someone  to chat with about the mechanical problems. 

I'm having trouble with the thread shredding.  I have checked that the #69 thread is correct for this machine as well as the #100 universal needle. It had been working great but  I had been hearing the thread catch on the shuttle as it was pulled up.  We found the shuttle shaft loose and repaired that as per a local technician.  WE also changed the timing and that solved most of the problem.  But it is still shredding the thread if I sew for about 1 minute.  I'm finding that I need to make the top tension very tight to get the stitches to look good. This seems to be WAY too tight.  I will adjust the bobbin tension today to see if I can keep the stitches balanced while trying to reduce the drag on the tension discs.  I'm thinking heat?

It's so frustrating because this machine has been a real champ up until now.  :-(

Are you using a 16x257 needle in it?

CD in Oklahoma 

Hi CD - I'm using a schmetz 100 universal - but I think I'll try a couple of different needles - even the leather needle might work better for the blankets.  I'll get back to you

30 minutes ago, gunnerdiego said:

Hi CD - I'm using a schmetz 100 universal - but I think I'll try a couple of different needles - even the leather needle might work better for the blankets.  I'll get back to you

I normally use a #18/110 needle with #69 (T70) thread when sewing leather or webbing. It is less stressful on the thread going through the eye. Try this before wasting more effort troubleshooting the thread shredding problem.

You can get away with a #16 needle and #69 thread in cloth because there's less friction.

Thanks so much Wiz - I'll put that in and see how it goes - I've tried so many things that I can't remember what I've done!!  LOL  Better start a "problem/fix" log!! CRS has set in!

1 hour ago, gunnerdiego said:

schmetz 100 universal

That sounds like a 15x1 (or 130/705) needle. I've never tried one in my 96-40.

CD in Oklahoma

thanks CD  - I haven't had the chance to try the 18 yet as per Wiz.  I'll let you guys know when I have a chance to run it.  Paula

Have you checked the thread guides to see if any of them have excessive wear where the thread has run thru them? I have a 95-10 that shredded the thread, made all new guides from stainless steel rod and it cured that problem.

On 8/15/2019 at 11:56 AM, Wizcrafts said:

schmetz 100 universal

That is a domestic/household sewing machine needle. It should not be used in an industrial sewing machine except in an emergency until you can buy the correct needle system. I think that your machine may use System 16x231 (DBx1) needles. They are very common in straight stitch machines. If not, perhaps DBx5 or 134. All of these needles have totally round shanks.

I have noticed that too high a top tension does contribute to shredding the thread.  So I would look at using a larger needle size to see if you can reduce the top tension, and if you still can't get it down low enough, reduce the bobbin tension.  And of course as Wiz says, get the right needle system.

Tom