fredk

Tandy On-line Library - Special Price

I just got an email from Tandy telling me that everything in the Tandy Library is  Free

Who would have thought?

45 minutes ago, fredk said:

I just got an email from Tandy telling me that everything in the Tandy Library is  Free

Who would have thought?

I got it yesterday :D

I feel like I'm back using dial up internet trying to navigate that site.... hopefully I can get a page to load before I leave work lol

3 hours ago, Enanez84 said:

I feel like I'm back using dial up internet trying to navigate that site.... hopefully I can get a page to load before I leave work lol

Early morning is the best time...around 6 or 7am, practically no lag. Apparently a lot of leather craftsmen like to sleep in. :)

17 hours ago, Northmount said:

Yes, 984 files!  Now how to index all the items so I can find them!

Tom

:)

I was modest - I downloaded only part of the books that I did not buy earlier, and a couple of dozen doodle pages.

I guess I need to stop being shy :)

8 hours ago, ABHandmade said:

I guess I need to stop being shy

I am a hoarder!  Books, magazines, etc.  Used to have stacks of woodworking magazines.  Scanned them all and built a database to be able to find articles on any subject.  Freed up a lot of shelf space.  Now I should be able to dispose of some of my leatherworking print books.  Time to build another database!

Did you see the Doodle Pages "Doing Hair With a Glovers Needle by D. Somerfield Ferweda (Series 8D Page 1)"?  Thought you might be interested in this one.  I need to redo my horse head again and see if this technique works for me.

Tom

9 minutes ago, Northmount said:

Did you see the Doodle Pages "Doing Hair With a Glovers Needle by D. Somerfield Ferweda (Series 8D Page 1)"?  Thought you might be interested in this one.

Apparently, I did not pay attention to this page. Now I tried to go to leathercraftlibrary - and to no avail :(
Apparently, the site simply could not stand the influx of visitors :)

I'll try to do it later. Thank you for drawing my attention - I will definitely look at this page.

Andrey.

8 minutes ago, ABHandmade said:

Apparently, the site simply could not stand the influx of visitors

Yes, really slow this morning.  It took forever to login and get my list of downloads up so I could finish downloading some files that were still outstanding.

Seems to be going well right now.

Tom

Was notified by a friend of this the first day they did it. stayed up till 4am that day, about 12 hours of "purchasing" on their site. and a few more hours after i woke up. then about 5 hours of d/ling from the site onto my flash drive. well worth it. only a few things i did not get, mostly in the doodles section. might go back to grab them. it is a great way to honor Al Stohlman.

anyone figure out how to get the videos though? i dont have internet at home, and the closest cell service is 40 minutes away.

On 8/16/2019 at 2:16 PM, Ragingstallion said:

anyone figure out how to get the videos though?

I can view them but can't download them.

Tom

Same here Tom. I figure they don't want anyone downloading them then reposting them somewhere else for free once this ends.

Todd

Their videos are protected / streamed in a player by the Brightcove system, they can be downloaded ( not easily , but after seeing someone mention it further up the thread my curiosity was peaked )..so I downloaded what I think is the first one ( about 10 minutes long , a bi-fold wallet with ID window )..took a bit of experimentation to get the stream isolated. Basically the Brightcove system "scinds" the original video and incorporated audio file into much smaller shards than it is originally, in doing so it creates m3u8 files ( one per shard ) , and the player downloads the corresponding video file for each shard ( each in sequence ), These are played seamlessly, in sequence in the player..But if you download them outside of the player, you would have to join them all together yourself sequentially ( so I got I think just under a 100 ts files and the same number of m3u8 files for that 1st video* ) that can be done, but manually it would take a long time to rebuild the ten minutes of video, and a linear video editor ( linux has some free ones, the windows and mac ones that can work with ts files are I think all "pay for it" software ) , or you could write code to put them into sequence automatically..in doing so you'd be basically writing a player..As an exercise it might be "fun" ( except I have more important things to do ) but also, why re-invent the wheel ? Just to keep them on a hard drive somewhere..? I'm not interested by them, so I didn't bother keeping the files that make up that wallet video ( deleted it / them ) after working out how it was being done , and how it could be re-built.

A far simpler way is to record the stream ( video / audio system output before it gets to the screen and speakers ) which is what screen recorders are actually doing ( more or less* ) even the ones that can include the mouse movements like some of the software used to make instructional videos etc..or those which are included in other software

But why bother? if you want to see the videos , they are giving the access to watch them free. Seems somewhat churlish ( not saying anyone here would, nor was ) to me to take advantage of that. Kind of like recording a movie from someone's TV after they invited you round to watch it. Or recording one of Nigel's "subscription" videos ( which I think are on Vimeo ) ..or making a copy of the keys when someone loans you their car..or cam-cording the screen in a movie theatre. Posting them elsewhere would not be right, so they protect themselves as much as they can against that, you can't "share" what isn't your own creation or IP..and even if technically it is possible, it would be wrong. Watch the ones that interest you while the access is free, if they make them "pay to watch" again, you could , I presume, pay to watch specific ones again..How much was it to watch a video there before they made them free ? I've never bought from Tandy, ( not so much as a needle ) so I don't know.

* This and other things mentioned are more complex than "more or less", but this isn't a programmers site, nor a video / audio software site..this is one of the best known.
https://forum.doom9.org/
for anyone interested :)
and some background to it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom9

Edited by mikesc

With the mad rush over the Tandy Library website is running at a decent speed again. At least it was for me yesterday

Copy of the video would be copyright infringement, the talk has been about how to safeguard people designs on this forum, and then suddenly video's that have been protected by Tandy seem to be fair game,

Thanks for sharing the info Fredk....:spoton: