Marietje

Tie down weekender bag a backpack

Been a while since I have posted anything but I certainly was busy and made two weekender bags, both fully hand-stitched as I don't have a machine. Lot of work, sore hands, but worth it :)
The first one was more of a tryout of some furnish leather I still had laying around. It was way too thin for any straps, so I lined them with black pigskin and folded the edges over to get a black accent.
Stitched over it to reduce stretching. Did not put tie down on this one yet, as I did not know how with the side pockets being in the way.
Someone liked the bag a lot, so it was sold before it was even finished (which made me quite proud).
I did not ask much for it, but the money I got gave me the chance to buy some nice new leather and make a bag for myself, using the experience of the first bag.
Still made some mistakes and have some not so nice stitches (lost focus at some point), but happy with the overal result.
I've used 4oz tan color veg leather for the bag and 5oz black for the bottom and straps. Also made a shoulder-strap lined with black pigskin to prevent stretching.
As I had some leather left I also made a backpack. The black at the back is an outside pocket.
Patterns are from DieselpunkRo and for the weekend bags I modified the patterns myself.

Let me hear what you think and if you have any tips or modifications I should take into account next time.

Weekendtas 1.jpg

Weekendtas 2.jpg

Rugzak.jpg

I really like that backpack, Awesome work.

Great Great Stuff.

Absolutely brilliant in my opinion, heel mooi

Nice

Love the aesthetics!  The design, hardware, colors, all look great.  I would like to know if there are any interior pockets in the weekender.  Great stuff!

This looks great, Marietje - wel gedaan! And as for losing focus at some point - completely understandable given the amount of stitching involved... Still, it came together in a very nice and wholesome way. Veel leuk!

16 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Love the aesthetics!  The design, hardware, colors, all look great.  I would like to know if there are any interior pockets in the weekender.  Great stuff!

No interior pockets in this one, only an outside pocket. Want to add interior pockets if I make another one and probably line it too

thank you all and especially thanks to the answers in Dutch :)

Both designs look great.  I like the second bag design alot.  i like how small the bag shrinks to for storage. Well done. 

Did you sew those by hand?  If not, what machine and setup did you use?

That bag is so... awesome!

Vikefan

Really nice work, I especially like the second weekender bag. 

Are the straps that go from the bottom of the bag up to the handles along the sides the same width and the two tone with black trim is just creating an optical illusion of being narrower on the first one or are they in fact different widths?

Really good work there Marietje. I've been thinking about a gym bag and that looks just right. Done a few of Tonys designs. Will look at the weekender again. On the backpack, another good build but I'm thinking you won't be able to use the extra space of the turnover at the top without making the straps a bit longer or am I seeing it wrong? Well done.