JLSleather

Square card processing, sites

WHO uses this card processor, or has a "square" web site?  Got info on catalogs 'n' stuff?  We want to add another method on top of what we have, may be this one.

3 hours ago, JLSleather said:

WHO uses this card processor, or has a "square" web site?  Got info on catalogs 'n' stuff?  We want to add another method on top of what we have, may be this one.

Did you forget the link Jeff?

Apparently I did.  I have a BUNCH of links to sites by the folk 'round here.... but .. musta got either deleted or moved.

Don't know why folks round here don't mention their sites.. SO easy to put in your signature under your posts... and I believe at one time we had a thread running with links, but can't find that either.

AND some the sites I had bookmarks for... don't exist any more.  Guess some folks decided not to keep their site?

What I'm CURRENTLY interested in, though.... is the card processing.  Used Paypal for a jillion years (and still do) but had a few lately who didn't want to use Paypal.  I don't know why exactly, but didn't figure it was my "thing" to spend a lot of time talking them into using it (even with a credit card) so I dind't bother.  So, next thing is what to use IN ADDITION to Paypal.  

Idea is to use the card processing for MY site - not create another.  A bit daunting thinking about entering SO many options into a Square "catalog"..... 

IME..Much easier to open a merchant account with your bank, accept all cards, saves giving commission to all the card processors, paypal and the other middlemen.

:dunno: I swear it's like pulling teeth to get a straight simple answer on this site.  Ask about what type of edger to use, and get a story about what a guy did when he was 7.  Ask a question about holster construction, and get a lecture about how a guy could get hurt if he falls down. :head_hurts_kr:

Never mind.  I got plenty to do... guess I'll go do some of it. 

I swear it's like pulling teeth to get a straight simple answer on this site. Ask about what type of edger to use, and get a story about what a guy did when he was 7. Ask a question about holster construction, and get a lecture about how a guy could get hurt if he falls down.

Never mind. I got plenty to do... guess I'll go do some of it.

Could have added something about cute girls, maybe even named one or two,, how there should be no videos, and how handmade shouldn't mean might cost more money, and not hanging around with some kinds of people..but that wouldn't have been relevant to card processing on websites, nor anything else, nor would it have been a simple straight answer...but that's forums for ya. :) .. F 12952 XDR-45284-TI-2C Edited by mikesc
grammar,context

3 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Apparently I did.  I have a BUNCH of links to sites by the folk 'round here.... but .. musta got either deleted or moved.

Don't know why folks round here don't mention their sites.. SO easy to put in your signature under your posts... and I believe at one time we had a thread running with links, but can't find that either.

AND some the sites I had bookmarks for... don't exist any more.  Guess some folks decided not to keep their site?

What I'm CURRENTLY interested in, though.... is the card processing.  Used Paypal for a jillion years (and still do) but had a few lately who didn't want to use Paypal.  I don't know why exactly, but didn't figure it was my "thing" to spend a lot of time talking them into using it (even with a credit card) so I dind't bother.  So, next thing is what to use IN ADDITION to Paypal.  

Idea is to use the card processing for MY site - not create another.  A bit daunting thinking about entering SO many options into a Square "catalog"..... 

I had the same problem on my site(not leather related). People complaining why did they have to sign up for PayPal just to pay by credit card. They(PayPal) have a guest checkout function but have made it difficult to find/do. And if your credit card is from certain countries, they won't allow it at all.

I added Braintree and now I get way less emails and calls, and more transactions.

Braintree were so successful in competing with PayPal that PayPal bought them. Which also means that you can use your PayPal login to get into Braintree, 1 less username password to remember.

The most awkward thing about Paypal's "guest" option not being shown to some countries, is, it comes and goes..some countries will see it for a while, and then it will disappear, for a few months, or a year, or more, and then it might come back, or not. That and paypal allowing chargebacks for up to 360 days ( despite them saying they only allow for 180 ) , and potentially freezing funds* because the site is selling more than paypal thinks they should. Any non bank "processor" is extra cost and complications, if you are running a registered business.The cost of a bank merchant account is deductible, with better rates than a processor.I'd rather lose sales than sell via any non bank processor. Banks are cheaper than processors ( including paypal et al ) for micro payments too, for any definition of micro payments. You can also go and meet your bank staff "face to face" if any problems arise.

*I know of many businesses ( some of them in leather and "fashion" ) who have had their funds "frozen" by paypal, because they started making more money per month than paypal thought they should.

Edited by mikesc

I can only go by my own experience of running a website from 2003 to 2017 and this is what i found out

Many people love paypal and wont have a bad word against them from a customer point of view, whilst others hate the idea of these massive companies, dont trust giving them their information and data and hence avoid them at all costs. Horror stories from many business owners having problems with paypal holding back money and suddenly stoping you trading

In the UK its fair to say the majority of e-commerce companies offer two payment options, Paypal and a seperate credit card provider (shop around as different rates for different providers and some have better software)

On our own sales we averaged 80% credit card orders either direct or via site and 20% via paypal either using paypal services or card via paypal service (Guest), all of which seems to indicate offered a choice many prefer not to use paypal in the UK buying workwear of all types from Nurses to Roustabouts 

We still accept Visa and MC mostly for US clients but discourage it as it does cost us a percentage, etc. Never used Paypal and probably won't. Since we are in Canada our preferred method is e-transfer. Funds are transfer directly from the clients account directly to ours by email. No cost to us.

kgg

Jeff, FYI Square cancelled my account because I had a firearms "related" company. Apparently holsters and training are sins.

The other Jeff

1 hour ago, alpha2 said:

Jeff, FYI Square cancelled my account because I had a firearms "related" company. Apparently holsters and training are sins.

The other Jeff

What the..~@!@#!   Actual, useful info relevant to the question asked?@  On THIS site?!@#!   Say it aint so ...

Did you have their SITE, or just the processing?  I'm not interested in their "squareup" site - was just looking for an alternative payment method - fast and easy - to ADD to my stuff for those few who don't like paypal.  I've had some who commented they didn't really care for that, but used it anyway.  And I"ve had some who insisted on paying another way.

I've used PayPal for years, never had a problem.  BUT... it's worth having another option.  Not debating yae or nae on one, just adding another for those who don't want to use it. But I forgot about all the "fun" of entering a "catalog" of items. :rolleyes2:

I am looking at options as well right now.  At the moment I am considering Shopify.  Take a look at that, it may fit your needs.  They have POS hardware and card readers for mobile devices.

I use Square as a credit card processor for those who don't want to use PayPal.  I've had no problems, but I discourage the use of cards.  Much of my business is face to face, with people that are somewhat local, and they still write checks.  A fair percentage hands me a wad of cash when paying.  But I digress, Square has been painless for me to date.  They may not have the cheapest rate, but there is no monthly fee, unlike back when I had processing services through my bank.

28 minutes ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

I use Square as a credit card processor for those who don't want to use PayPal.  I've had no problems, but I discourage the use of cards.  Much of my business is face to face, with people that are somewhat local, and they still write checks.  A fair percentage hands me a wad of cash when paying.  But I digress, Square has been painless for me to date.  They may not have the cheapest rate, but there is no monthly fee, unlike back when I had processing services through my bank.

:o  You know people who still write checks?@!  Old school ;)  Gal at the post office sometimes ask me if I need stamps.  Always same answer -- wouldnt know what ta do with em!  These days, everything is a click away (almost).

I signed the square thingie, but I admit I do NOT object to cash ...

THANKS, S-

SO, WHO has a 'square' web site?

I use Square for card processing. I also use Paypal. Never had a problem with either. I do face to face sells quite often. I take about 90% of my money in card payments of some sort. 

I do not have a Square shop. But that is just me. I have friends who do, never heard them complain. Hope it helps. But at least it was to the point. 

Go well   

8 hours ago, bullmoosepaddles said:

I have friends who do, never heard them complain. Hope it helps. But at least it was to the point. 

:cheers:

I find cash works purdy gud in person.

23 hours ago, JLSleather said:

:o  You know people who still write checks?@!  Old school ;)  Gal at the post office sometimes ask me if I need stamps.  Always same answer -- wouldnt know what ta do with em!  These days, everything is a click away (almost).

I signed the square thingie, but I admit I do NOT object to cash ...

THANKS, S-

Heck, i know people who have never had a credit card!  I have to admit, there's times I still write the odd check.  Some of my suppliers are Amish and don't take credit cards.

15 hours ago, JLSleather said:

:cheers:

I find cash works purdy gud in person.

But I don't seem to know any one who carries cash. So "lectric" money is better than no money. 

We have at least one pub in England that does not take cash at all its by card or no beer, the local banks are disappearing from many small villages and towns and its getting hard for shops to get rid of the cash for paying in or getting change. The debit card is now king

Even debit/credit card is old skool now. In some areas of Belfast you can only pay for on-street parking or in car parks using a 'smart phone' and I've heard that at least two 'posh' restaurants are the same, pay with your 'smart phone'

My son takes cash or bank transfer for payment. He's had customers arrive with no cash and they have done a bank transfer right there using their ipad thingies

On 8/11/2019 at 3:00 PM, Mattsbagger said:

Did you forget the link Jeff?

Where da link?

5 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Where da link?

I miss read the the post. Have no info on Square  other than my wife says she wants one just to say to people. “ I take cards.” Lol

On 8/12/2019 at 5:40 PM, JLSleather said:

SO, WHO has a 'square' web site?

I just recently setup a Squarespace web site, and now found out they're not actually part of "square", so the sales processing accounts are separate. I'm now using square for offline sales, and paypal and stripe for the squarespace site.

And for anyone that wants a laugh, here's my link at a site that looks like a kid made it :P

https://www.drleatherworks.com/