Mocivnik

Tippmann boss thread?

I've been using ever since 150D waxed thread that I got from ebay, but as I've bought the tippmann now, I probably have to use unwaxed thread.

Which brand should I use, what size?
I'll be making mostly belts, holsters and knife sheaths.

My Tippmann Boss likes 346 waxed thread, . . . for belts, holsters, and knife sheaths.

I have others on the shelf, . . . they mostly gather dust.

May God bless,

Dwight

But isn't it forbidden to use waxed thread on tippmann? Doesn't it glue up parts and you have several hours of work to clean it up?

I prefer waxed thread anyway. I always use this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Sewing-Waxed-Thread-150D-1mm-Nylon-Hand-Stitching-Cord-for-Leather-Craft-DIY/173821144361?epid=17029957303&hash=item28788c2d29:g:hD0AAOSwyUpcfNuE

Is this one proper to use on tippmann?

Nahh, . . . that's an old wives tale, . . . 

Somewhere after I've done a half dozen holsters, . . . or maybe 3 belts, . . . there will be a stack of the wax on the upper left of the machine where it goes thru that little port, . . . paper towel wipes it off.

Same for the lanyard above the needle, . . . and sometimes on the top of the needle.

Worst part is your fingers are around that super sharp needle, . . . and it can lace you good if you are not careful.

I tried non waxed, . . . think I threw the spool away, . . . don't know what happened to it, . . . I DID NOT LIKE IT.

May God bless,

Dwight

Here are the thread sizes I use:

Again, . . . the 346 is my favorite.

May God bless,

Dwight

Size 277 / Tex 277 / Govt. 4-Cord Heavyweight thread used for hand and machine sewing. Typical uses include horse saddles and tack, knife sheaths, holsters, tarpaulins, banners, boat and pool covers. Its stitches are a focal point.
Size 346 / Tex 350 / Govt. 5-Cord Heavyweight thread used for hand and machine sewing. Typical uses include canvas tarpaulins, saddles, horse tack, shoe repair, conveyer belts, holsters, and sheaths. Its stitches are a focal point.
Size 415 / Tex 410 / Govt. 6-Cord

Heavyweight thread used for hand and machine sewing. It is also a survival pack staple. Typical uses include canvas tarpaulins, saddles, horse tack, shoe repair, conveyor belts, holsters, and sheaths. Its stitches are a focal point.

Great! Thanks, that helps a lot.

Is this the thread you're talking about? #346-Heavy ? Will take all 3 colors, hope it will work fine.

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/polyester-machine-thread

What about that thread I've mentioned before? I have several spools of that, is it still useful on Tippmann or should I use it just for hand sewing?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Sewing-Waxed-Thread-150D-1mm-Nylon-Hand-Stitching-Cord-for-Leather-Craft-DIY/173821144361?epid=17029957303&hash=item28788c2d29:g:hD0AAOSwyUpcfNuE

Edited by Mocivnik

And what needles to use with tippmann? Any special required? For 346 thread?

10 hours ago, Dwight said:

Here are the thread sizes I use:

Again, . . . the 346 is my favorite.

May God bless,

Dwight

Size 277 / Tex 277 / Govt. 4-Cord Heavyweight thread used for hand and machine sewing. Typical uses include horse saddles and tack, knife sheaths, holsters, tarpaulins, banners, boat and pool covers. Its stitches are a focal point.
Size 346 / Tex 350 / Govt. 5-Cord Heavyweight thread used for hand and machine sewing. Typical uses include canvas tarpaulins, saddles, horse tack, shoe repair, conveyer belts, holsters, and sheaths. Its stitches are a focal point.
Size 415 / Tex 410 / Govt. 6-Cord

Heavyweight thread used for hand and machine sewing. It is also a survival pack staple. Typical uses include canvas tarpaulins, saddles, horse tack, shoe repair, conveyor belts, holsters, and sheaths. Its stitches are a focal point.

Do you have any pictures of your work perhaps? From close look?

Here is one of my favorite holsters, . . . 346 thread.

May God bless,

Dwight

shield 1.JPG

Looks decent, will buy that one from Tandy. I hope the one from the link is OK.

I think Dwight said he used waxed thread not polyester from Tandy?? or maybe i missed out on something??

25 minutes ago, jimi said:

I think Dwight said he used waxed thread not polyester from Tandy?? or maybe i missed out on something??

yeah, but I cannot find which one he meant. None of them above doesn't have thread size written.

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/category/threads

Some of the stuff I've gotten from Tandy has a wax coating on it, . . . the latest stuff does not, . . . and I don't know if it's polyester or what, . . . it is what they sold me.  

It has a coating that sometimes acts like wax, . . . I just assumed that is what it is, . . . but I'm not a chemist.  

The holster in the picture was sewn with Tandy  346 white thread, . . . then dyed when I dipped the holster in the British tan dye.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

OK, Sorry mocivnik. i did miss something :lol:.

Since you are in the EU we have a very nice waxed linen thread here from Hoogen. You can get it from some of the shoe machinery suppliers. It is not the cheapest. They use it for the Out sole stitcher machines like the Frobana/Gritzner and it comes in size 4 and 5 normally. Colours are Natural,brown and black i think. Also there are large bobbins of linen thread available the only thing you would have to do would be to wax it. Here are some pictures of some linen thread i have been using for sandal making used in a Frobana. And the thinner 18/3 linen thread can be used in a machine. Beware of some sellers as they will tell you it is ok for machine use but many are not, they have to be round and not erratic in thickness like some are.

20190814_124442.jpg.dfea87f20f021e748d623dee18c3adbc.jpg20190814_124615.jpg.d64b986ecf42beeb137eba1f3a93c261.jpg

this is the comparison between nylon bonded 270 and Hoogen nº5

20190814_124638.jpg.6d57ebea203335422e80ba69009ddb0f.jpg20190814_124649.jpg.13af8260d264f0cae14b4d2091659f78.jpg

Here are the two sizes: 20/6 nº4 and 20/8 nº 5 (6 fach and 8 fach)

20190814_124706.jpg.51d54bea48efff323b6541dc57d59d8f.jpg

Here are two older ones which were used for Rafflenbeul´s Matador machine which was like the Froban/Gritzner.

20190814_124823.jpg.2da167fb764d963a13d84efd7672dbc0.jpg20190814_124808.jpg.dff7e77730a7f091180ba5f537aac55a.jpg20190814_124844.jpg.eef92a1a98ab07a4e38bd89edb1e0c2d.jpg

Here is the comparison with the 18/3 linen thread and the bonded nylon 270.

20190814_124858.jpg.bd220dbdff0b43b247fd244a3bfaa26c.jpg

Forgot to mention there is a twist to this story... the left - Z and the right - S.

Probably a dumb question but why the two twists and why does it matter?  Just curious!

As far as i know a lot of the shoe machines use the S twist, double needle machines and S twist is used seemingly in hand sewing, for normal machines, which is the majority, they use Z twist. you can see in the picture the bonded nylon is Z twist. If you use a S twist in your machine it could loosen or unravel or get Knotted or just give you tension problems. Maybe just a case of trying it out if you get the chance and see what the difference is.