I just finished up this rough out IWB for a 5" 1911. It was the first time I'd made this type of holster for a 1911 and I took pictures at the main steps along the way. It's built from 8 oz. HO and dyed with Fiebings brown pro oil. Top coat is M&G cut 50/50 with water. 

Step #1 - draw it. 

001.thumb.jpg.877c4a2abffdb2bf768cb9537a6d7d75.jpg

Step #2 - parts cut out, stitch lines laid out, T-nuts set in cover piece, straps formed, glued surfaces roughed up, edges that won't be able to be finished later slicked. 

007.thumb.jpg.a39cdeaa4d8516537e048bc351bfe45d.jpg009.thumb.jpg.9ebba468d967a45c1c7445f3967b0e6b.jpg

Step #3 - dip dyed and dried.

010.thumb.jpg.5933e774993be1851afc8d040c148b68.jpg

Step #4 - glue and stitch reinforcement, glue main body, sand edges, stitch main body, edge and slick.

012.thumb.jpg.5e85d4ecd88ffcfc8dc508d22f253106.jpg013.thumb.jpg.83e66690b838a34a5341f3d5e11c1453.jpg014.thumb.jpg.a3f7557ef8b1589a7161d17b0bf71df4.jpg

Step #5 - wet mold and install snaps on straps. 

015.thumb.jpg.043cf0ec59096f3532a38744a2645fd5.jpg016.thumb.jpg.44658cd843c5794e771d3362a6e2f94a.jpg

And, Step #6 - top coat and dry, final touch all edges and done!

019.thumb.jpg.13536b55d8738a6e0bfe5786d84c9e2b.jpg022.thumb.jpg.892414c7d1bda94c572449e8d7c6a649.jpg020.thumb.jpg.60bee426907ee269a0a218a616d40efb.jpg

Josh, that's a very nice picture tutorial.  Good pics too. You make a fine product.

It's funny. I just made my first rough-out pocket holster, in Fiebing's Mahogany. Has a very similar look to yours.

Just wanted to mention that I found a tool which works great for roughing up the leather prior to gluing.

It's a Tandy tool and it costs $20 but it is worth it. It speeds up the process and it is very accurate and easy to control. It does a great job too.

You can get right up to the line. Glad I got it... wanted to share that with everyone. It's three times better than using an awl.

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/craftool-pro-detail-rougher

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

Thanks! and thanks for the link to the Tandy tool, it does look like a nice tool!

All the best, Josh

Maybe I woulda turnt the loops backard so theys ruffout too?  But I always like seein yer werk, so :thumbsup:

What size that thread? Looks more stout than i usually use, but i like that look.

Thanks Jeff! That's a valid point on the rough-out loops. I like to mix up smooth and rough-out but all one way or all the other does make for a smooth looking job! Thread size is 277 top and bottom. I use it almost exclusively when I machine sew. I keep a little waxed 207 for hand sewing when I can't find a way around it and have a spool of 138 for light weight projects. I'm lazy enough that I've stitched up 2 pieces of 4 oz with the 277 to avoid changing thread, but then I like a hefty looking thread :) 

I need to mark my pattern to adjust the stitch line closer from the trigger guard down. It gets a little wide by the end of the barrel. It's a personal holster and being an IWB I'm sure it won't ever be a problem, but it doesn't have that  super close, pretty looking stitch line you always have. Always something to do better on!

All the best, Josh

I usually use 277, but thought that looked heavier.  Must be the color contrast.  Now that i thought it was heavier, i gotta try it heavier.  Think i got some 346 round here sumares.

I got stuck on 346 about 15 years ago . . . if I do something in 277, . . . looks like I used my wife's sewing thread, . . . I'm so used to the heavier look.

Got a spool of 4 something, . . . REALLY BIG, . . . gonna do a white stitch black belt with that one of these days, . . . just for kicks and giggles.

I'ma lika dat holster there Josh, . . . always have been kinda partial to roughout, . . . although I don't do very many of em.

May God bless,

Dwight

Great work, Josh...as always. Saw this rig when it landed on FB...wasn't expecting the pictorial on this side of things...appreciate the extra insight into your process!

I've thought about trying some 346 myself, when I need to re-order thread I'll have to get some. Do you guys use the same size needle on your machines as you would for the 277, or do you have to go up a size? I'm currently using #25 needles for the 277.

Thanks Dwight and Chis! 

Hope it's a great day everybody! 

I have found 26 works best for me with 346

1 hour ago, Treed said:

I have found 26 works best for me with 346

:thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you !!!! 

On 8/13/2019 at 5:15 PM, dakotawolf said:

Thanks for sharing!

On 8/13/2019 at 5:19 PM, chuck123wapati said:

Thank you !!!! 

You're welcome!

On 8/14/2019 at 7:13 AM, noobleather said:

Great looking holster!

Thank you!

Have a great day folks! 

Looking good.  

I need to try that style one of these days.  Did some rough out IWB's a while back roughly patterned on the Summer Special that turned out well.  But I do mine as flat backs.  Currently working out a pattern for a AIWB Sidecar holster in leather though.  So much to do.

FYI, I hand stitch with 346.  It's a really nice contrast on brown.  

Thanks Chief!

I've been slow so I'm building some things for myself that have been on the back burner for a while. I've been using a Summer Special for all my IWB for some time and wanted to give this style a try. A week isn't much of a trial period, but so far I like it a lot! I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's "better" than a Summer Special, but it does seem slightly narrower and slightly more rigid. With having to straddle belt loops I don't have as much freedom to position it exactly where I want, but it hits pretty close to 3:00, if I didn't have a belt loop in the way I'd slide it an 1" or 2" forward. but, all in all, so far I'm very happy with it.

You'll have to post your AIWB Sidecar when you get it worked out so I know what one is! I get the AIWB, but got lost on the Sidecar part! 

All the best!

Josh

I wear an IWB every day and I'm so used to the smooth side against me, seems like that rough out would be a bit chappy?  It is beautiful though.  Even with the smooth side in, I have to wear a tee shirt so it isn't against my skin.  Just wondering out loud...

Very nice work and great pictorial!

Thanks Doug!

I always wear an undershirt myself so it's not an issue for me. If a person didn't wear an undershirt the rough out could be a problem. Although using 8 oz leather the backside is quite smooth as it's been thinned down however the tannery does it. It also tends to smooth up with use making the "rough" side only slightly more textured than the grain side. 

All the best, 

Josh

13 hours ago, Josh Ashman said:

Thanks Chief!

I've been slow so I'm building some things for myself that have been on the back burner for a while. I've been using a Summer Special for all my IWB for some time and wanted to give this style a try. A week isn't much of a trial period, but so far I like it a lot! I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's "better" than a Summer Special, but it does seem slightly narrower and slightly more rigid. With having to straddle belt loops I don't have as much freedom to position it exactly where I want, but it hits pretty close to 3:00, if I didn't have a belt loop in the way I'd slide it an 1" or 2" forward. but, all in all, so far I'm very happy with it.

You'll have to post your AIWB Sidecar when you get it worked out so I know what one is! I get the AIWB, but got lost on the Sidecar part! 

All the best!

Josh

The sidecar part is an onboard mag holder.  For RH draw, looking down at it, the gun would be on the right with the mag to the left of your midline.  It's a large holster.  My first try wore surprisingly well.  But I got some good feedback from some folks that wear them and made some changes.  Took the gun cant from forward to neutral.  Took the mag cant from neutral to canted to the left.  Had to rework the adjustment holes too since it rode a bit too close to the belt for a really good grip.  Ordered some clips and gear dedicated for this style.  I'm not sure I have ever seen one in leather, so why not.  And I'm working with the P365 for this one.  I probably should have picked a bigger gun.  That small gun means I need more holster below the gun in order to get any upward adjustment.

I finished stitching the mag holder side tonight.  I'll mold the gun side and finish stitching tomorrow.  If it comes out OK I'll post some pics.  You can blame this deviant holster on my starting an instagram page.  They love them over there.  

Edited by chiefjason

Great post, Josh. It's always enlightening to see how other people do things.

I make a similar design, and I haven't ever tried sewing the mouthband first... I'll have to give it a shot!

I usually sew the forward wing, spread the assembly open and then glue & stitch the mouthband, and then close it all up and sew the rear wing. It can be a bit of a wrestling match, so I'll have to see if your way is less of a battle. :)

36 minutes ago, BHPshooter said:

Great post, Josh. It's always enlightening to see how other people do things.

I make a similar design, and I haven't ever tried sewing the mouthband first... I'll have to give it a shot!

I usually sew the forward wing, spread the assembly open and then glue & stitch the mouthband, and then close it all up and sew the rear wing. It can be a bit of a wrestling match, so I'll have to see if your way is less of a battle. :)

Thanks BHP! It is always nice to see how others do it! I have to wrestle with it a little the way I do it too, maybe I'll have to give you way a try as well! 

Just FYI, I guess I'm up to about 5 weeks of daily wear with this guy and it's one of my favorite holsters! No desire to switch it out of daily wear.

All the best,

Josh

Awesome mini tutorial Josh !! Been wanting to make an IWB for my Commander, Thanks for the inspiration !!