DanDSilva

Small pieces of sole leather?

Hello,

I'm looking into making a leather buckler.  I figure veg-tan in the 12+oz range would be the best starting place, but I'd rather not pay for an entire sole bend when I'm only going to be using a few feet.  Is there anywhere, preferably Stateside, that'll sell thirds or quarters of a bend or anything like that?

try montana leather in billings mt

Brettun's Village up in Maine will sell  you a piece of a size you want:

The "I Only Want a Piece of Leather" Page <https://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/piece_form/>

12 hours ago, DanDSilva said:

Hello,

I'm looking into making a leather buckler.  I figure veg-tan in the 12+oz range would be the best starting place, but I'd rather not pay for an entire sole bend when I'm only going to be using a few feet.  Is there anywhere, preferably Stateside, that'll sell thirds or quarters of a bend or anything like that?

I recall seeing what you are after at Springfield Leather.  Give them a shout and ask.  They typically will sell most leathers by the square foot.  There are exceptions, but mostly they will cut.

Would Tandy bellies work?

Thank you.  I'll check out Montana, Brettuns and Springfield today.

From what I've seen of Tandy bellies, they're a little too thin even at their thickest, and too narrow.  I've long wondered whether there'd be any way to make piecing and lamination work, but the historical example I'm looking at appears to be a single piece in a single layer 5mm thick.

If you are looking for two pieces of Sole Bend large enough to cut two shoe soles, Lisa Sorrell is the place to go.

Ferg

That was some craftsman in those days, not just making it but adding strength by design, yet we think of 13 century BC as quite simple folk

On 8/13/2019 at 9:15 PM, DanDSilva said:

Thank you.  But I'm not actually looking to make shoe soles.  What I'm considering is a shield; one like this, but roughly half the diameter; that's why I call it a buckler.

http://bronze-age-swords.com/Clonbrin_shield.htm

Would a 13" diameter be enough?  You can buy strips of soling leather that are approx 13" wide and about 18" long.

I read that bucklers are up to 45 cm or 17 inch diameter.  13" is, of course, smaller, but might be big enough for your purpose.

If that can work for you then let me know.