Fcapela

Should I buy this Singer 29k

Very new to leather craft and was wondering if this would be a good starter. What do I need to make this  a good working machine. Thanks for any help

7CBF3DCE-3E3F-4D86-8ABB-73E8D4EFB384.png

Not a good starter unless you want to repair boots or sew patches onto clothing etc.

The 29-4 is needle feed and makes a pretty good mark in the top leather. It will handle size 92 thread but prefers 69.

This machine would probably have some pertinent very worn parts which are either hard to find replacements or impossible availability, unless you can or have someone who can make the parts.

If you are really wanting one of these I have a refurbished 29-4 on a pedestal table with a Servo Motor. I would sell for $1000 plus shipping. If you are close to me you could pick it up.

The one I have will stitch through 4 oz. leather all day long, not much more than that and at 5 to 6 stitches per inch. I can send you a photo if you wish.

Ferg

Thanks Ferg

The guy is selling that one for one hundred and was hoping it would be enough to get my feet wet and grow with. Not looking to spend tons of cash since I’m still building up a tool set. Guess I’ll put sewing machine on back burner for now.

It depends on what you want to make, The 29 can make quite nice stitches but you need to be able to follow a scribed line to keep straight sewing lines, Many people use them as starters myself included, Its much like any other manual machine in that you need one hand to drive it anf the other to control the leather and the bobbin is very small so needs changing often

At that price you cannot go wrong , but do take some leather and test it before buying and at that price you will always be able to resell in needed, I guess for many leathers 4-6mm will be the maximuminum thickness it will sew preferably 3-4mm chrome

I don't know if you checked it out yet but if it works... 100% buy immediately.

That is a great price for a machine that isn't good for starting, but that will be hard to find when you're ready for it for that price (or even 6x that price often). 

You don't know you want it yet, but you do.

If you ever sell it... remember me ;)

Edited by ensitmike

I would offer only this advice for someone casually looking to by a used sewing machine for what is currently their hobby: Never buy a machine unless you can sew some leather on it first.  It looks to me from the picture that this machine is offered as 'head' only. No motor, no controls, no table. At the very least you'd have to sink another 300/400 in to this to make it usable, and even then, as Ferg said, there's no guarantee that the head doesn't have critically worn parts. This is why Ferg wants 1K for his. It's all set up and ready to go. Save some money and get yourself something you know is going to work for you. There's an old saying that has served me well.... "Buy once, cry once." :)

8 hours ago, TonyRV2 said:

...offered as 'head' only. No motor, no controls, no table. At the very least you'd have to sink another 300/400 in to this to make it usable, and even then, as Ferg said, there's no guarantee that the head doesn't have critically worn parts. … Save some money and get yourself something you know is going to work for you. There's an old saying that has served me well.... "Buy once, cry once." :)

The 29K and other cobblers may be a bit of a special case, while many of them have been run on a treadle or later by electric motor they have also been hand powered many times. Some people may be happy just using the head loose (or temporarily/permanently attached to any common table or bench), hand cranking it.
But I agree, if you are going to pay anywhere near what a working condition machine costs, you need to see that it actually is a working machine, or pay a suitable price for what has to be assumed to be a project in need of much work and parts. And you need to know the limitations of the machine, so you don't spend money on a machine just to find out it can't do any of the jobs you want to do... 

The 29K can be a great machine, for a few very specific jobs. Few of these jobs are related to leathercraft where you make new items, most are repairs or other work on shoes, biker vests etc.

Thanks for all the feed back I was gonna buy it to do wallet interiors and tool rolls knife sheaths. Hand cranking wouldn’t be an issue if I could find one. Didn’t get it yet. 

Hand cranking on this particular machine (one of the very early 29´s) will not be too much fun since you do not have a front hand wheel.

I would not necessarily buy this machine because of the parts situation but It may depend on whats available on your local market and your budget. However if it produces stitches of 4mm or longer its a good score. Personally I would recommend a Singer 29K with 50, 60 or 70 subclass. Best would be a 70´s subclass (like 29K71) because the higher the subclass number the more likely it is to get parts for it . Especially gear box parts which are critical - even 50´s, 60´s subclass are critical when it comes to gear box parts.

Download a manual and read it or print it an take it with you when you check out the machine. You at least should know how to adjust the stitch length and how to thread it. Make sure the shuttle hook and the long leave spring on the backside are present

Edited by Constabulary