Fcapela

Does mail order leather usually look like this

Yes quite normal, just unroll and lay on a flat surface , or roll the opposite way and that will straighten it out, most people in limited work area's keep leather rolled up, but not to tightly

My orders from Le Prevo always come rolled up. It would be impractical to send it flat.

I keep it rolled up and only unroll it just before I need it. Usually it just flattens out itself, sometimes it needs a bit of dampening to encourage it

Edited by fredk

Yes, as above. But a warning. Wherever you store it when you have it, protect it from bright sunlight as this can bleach or otherwise discolour the leather

You may not have a large workshop & bench. If you plan on using it, unroll it and lay it out on your floor last thing at night, then it will be pretty flat and ready for use the next morning

All of the above is true.  I would add one thing to it.  I have found on some rolls that the inner end of the roll can sometimes be folded over on itself.  When that happens there is a bad crease.  For that reason alone it is worth unrolling and then re-rolling the other way.  

Yes and protected....normally in plastic. These were brought home by us, that´s why they are in paper, also to stop the oil tanned staining the goat.

20190813_111513.thumb.jpg.614973cae8f5c38fe93088661119f673.jpg20190813_111750.thumb.jpg.0fbc88bf0683e58a4391077751c77253.jpg

I would worry about "moistening" the leather. It could stain it... unless we are referring to casing the leather for a project.

On 8/14/2019 at 3:38 PM, zuludog said:

But a warning. Wherever you store it when you have it, protect it from bright sunlight as this can bleach or otherwise discolour the leather

keeping the veg natural leather in the room without direct bright sunlight will also cause oxidation