Ablenumbersix

Is Hermann oak harness branded on the back?

I bought some harness leather that was supposed to be Hermann oak, however it's not branded on the back like the tooling leather I've had in the past. Working with it, it seems to be very nice harness leather, but I'd like to know all the same. I've had issues like this with the seller in the past, mostly due to inadequate communication.

I have used hundreds of sides of Hermann Oak harness leather, both black and russet, and have never seen one stamped or branded.  I too, have wondered at times when buying from a distributor instead of direct from HO, whether I really got HO.  The only way to know for sure is to buy from the tannery.  Sometimes it's hard to swing their minimum, although on harness its only 5 or 6 sides, but at least you know that you are in fact getting what you paid for!

Thank you big Sioux. That's makes me feel better about it at least. Like I said, it's nice leather regardless, but if I pay for hermann oak and sell it as hermann oak, I want to make sure it is in fact hermann oak. 

i dont' know.

Which is pointless and not at all helpful.  I'll keep it short so I don't waste lots of time for either of us.  But I never replied to something to say "i don't know"... so figured it was my turn.

(in fact, the person who replied was exactly the person I expected to reply ;) )

Edited by JLSleather

3 hours ago, JLSleather said:

in fact, the person who replied was exactly the person I expected to reply ;) )

Uh oh, that means I'm becoming too predictable in my old age!:o

maybe. or maybe just means people can rely on you to share pertinent, useful info without posting in every freakin' thread that gets started :o

:cheers:

4 hours ago, JLSleather said:

maybe. or maybe just means people can rely on you to share pertinent, useful info without posting in every freakin' thread that gets started :o

:cheers:

I'll take that as a compliment.:)

On 8/15/2019 at 10:04 PM, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

I'll take that as a compliment.:)

as you well should.

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

as you well should.

And thank you.  A guy (gal) needs that every once in awhile.  This business can leave a person feeling beat up sometimes.