Maker77

Leather Weight for Turks Head Knot

I know many people are going to say it “depends” but I am curious about what you do. I have the Turks Head knot down but struggle with finding the right weight of leather lace. I first tried some thin soft deer lace but it kept wanting to scrunch up on itself the more leads that was needed. So then I went with a thick Latigo lace but it just seemed way to bulky. What do you do?

Using that soft deer lace is not a good idea. If you're just starting out, try buying some lace from Tandy.  When you're sure you want to stick with this craft, then invest into buying kangaroo lace either from y-knotlace.com, or purchase closer to your location. 

Kangaroo is going to be your best bet for knots and braiding.

Paracord to practice with as you can untie, unbraid it several times using it over & over to learn can buy it anywhere cheep.  After learning you will find the thin light stuff easier to use. Like KnotHead said though when your ready to braid or tie knots Kangaroo lace is a great option.