Here is a bag I just finished. The pattern came from Diesel Punk on Etsy. The leather is Acadia tan crazyhorse and Wickett and Craig bridle in Fiebings golden brown pro dye. The thread is cigar 1mm from that guy that had us do some beta testing.  The hardware is solid brass from The Buckle Guy. 

I used a lot of tools on this, more than anything I would say the hole punches and strap end punches from Wuta came in super handy. 

I also used a pair of sinabroks hole punches for most of the stitching in 1.5mm and a borrowed 1.5mm single hole from @koreric75 

It was a lot of work and no I didn't burnish any edges. I just didn't feel it needed it butting up against the crazyhorse. 

Anyway, enjoy.0F1B2F0F-BBE7-4DA2-BDC5-254C82E4DA6B.jpeg6C0F4791-426C-474E-A5BB-713674FFC769.jpeg3D226268-E2F4-4B90-9517-9E289AFDB4EC.jpeg I will post more pictures in the replies.

5D16700B-70FE-404B-85D2-CC22FCCDF390.jpegB0F9FF0B-9E5F-4240-AC58-559BD7F38DA1.jpegA42E4D52-0B8B-4CDD-8300-975D096C0479.jpeg31240FCA-F023-4858-BE18-A2BEFB12C78E.jpeg265E4352-7FC2-408D-8D6D-C7513457125D.jpeg

That's a great looking bag !! on my list of things to make after I get more comfortable as I've only made wallets/card holders as of now.

What's the inside look like ? did you add a liner or any pockets ?

2 minutes ago, Enanez84 said:

That's a great looking bag !! on my list of things to make after I get more comfortable as I've only made wallets/card holders as of now.

What's the inside look like ? did you add a liner or any pockets ?

No lining. I'm not much on those, plus I'm probably not near good enough to make one up. The pattern did come with an inside pocket. I'll need to resize those and post them. I see a lot of first timers on Facebook that started with Tony's patterns. He also posts an assembly video with each build. Give it a shot. It doesn't take a lot of tools to do his stuff.

That is a seriously good job. I like the closure so much, I think I can see myself borrowing that idea! :notworthy:

Neat.  I've left edges unpainted and unburnished before because I felt it matched the item that way, and have received a lot of static over it.  I wouldn't change the items tho, so keep your artistic license despite the naysayers.  :)

YinTx

That's a nice looking bag Mutt!  How many hours do you figure you have in it?  I also like the closure method.

What’s with the extra holes/stitches in the picture of the pocket?

Gary

1 hour ago, garypl said:

That's a nice looking bag Mutt!  How many hours do you figure you have in it?  I also like the closure method.

What’s with the extra holes/stitches in the picture of the pocket?

Gary

The loops for the closures are incorporated into the inside pocket. That part was kind of a booger to get it to look right.

A note on the closure itself. It is kind of tough to fasten it back closed. The original design has English points on the closure. But there were so many round points in the design that I wanted to keep those round. I may have to cut English points on this one. And maybe next time make those loops out if 4oZ to make them a little more flexible. 

Concerning the carry strap I found it a little busy for my taste compared to overall construction and I was going to simplify it. But, I couldn't work it out without cutting and staining more veg tan. After finishing the strap I really like it and it didn't take that long. 

I'm guessing I have about 25 hours in this bag. I may decide to sell it and plan on asking about $425.00.

That may seem high, but it was a bit of an undertaking.

@bikermutt07 this is a super bag for carrying a laptop around in! I really like how all the elements come together. Although I would have burnished, I completely agree with @YinTx that it's the maker's decision, and in this bag the unburnished edges adds to the overall look. What was the most challenging part of the build?

4 hours ago, Riem said:

@bikermutt07 this is a super bag for carrying a laptop around in! I really like how all the elements come together. Although I would have burnished, I completely agree with @YinTx that it's the maker's decision, and in this bag the unburnished edges adds to the overall look. What was the most challenging part of the build?

Assembly was kind of awkward. I couldn't really glue it together like normal. I did find making a knot in the stitching every so often helped with keeping the stitches tight. 

Also taping the pattern to the leather oversized burnt up a bit of left overs. The process goes like this. Cut out the patterns large. Tape to the leather, then punch the holes, then cut the final dimensions through the paper pattern. It winds up being a tad wasteful. And, it was hard to get a rythum going. But, things started moving a little faster about half way through.

Here are a few pictures of how the loops are incorporated....B70188FB-FC17-4BDA-B1B9-8F8CA247FC3E.jpegSo, this is the front of the bag body. The loops are secured inside the inside pocket.F3DD6190-E256-449E-878B-06EF3B2D15F8.jpegF93E35CA-00AA-416E-87FC-294CD9E11DAC.jpeg

Very nice Mr. Mutt! That one should stand the test of time. Really like the rugged look.  I know what you mean about wasting the leather. Really bothered me, until the time the entire piece becomes a waste because there was no wiggle room left. 

18 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

That is a seriously good job. I like the closure so much, I think I can see myself borrowing that idea! :notworthy:

Was thinking the same thing!  :whistle:

Nice job!

Thanks everyone, I produce so little annually I'm usually afraid to share because I feel like my chops may have slipped. It's nice to know I'm still doing ok at this stuff.

Edited by bikermutt07

5 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Assembly was kind of awkward. I couldn't really glue it together like normal. I did find making a knot in the stitching every so often helped with keeping the stitches tight. 

Also taping the pattern to the leather oversized burnt up a bit of left overs. The process goes like this. Cut out the patterns large. Tape to the leather, then punch the holes, then cut the final dimensions through the paper pattern. It winds up being a tad wasteful. And, it was hard to get a rythum going. But, things started moving a little faster about half way through.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I can see through possibility of the waste that you mention - makes working with a bought pattern less appealing, but there's truth too in what @blue duck said about overcutting providing some wiggle room. Hmmm, good insights.

Another tip that came in handy from @koreric75 was to not try and template the strap goods. Just run them through the strap cutter. Measure to length on your taped up pages and then use the template ends for punching out the appropriate holes.

This worked out great.

Also, I took a lot from Nigel's Vimeo page on using squares and straight edges.

Looks great mutt. I'm halfway through Tonys Motoko3 laptop bag which looks to be very similar. I didn't like the waste either but I printed mine on card so now the patterns are templates so not so much waste next time. I'm also thinking that a lot of it could be done on the machine. Punching all those holes took forever. I think Tony says 12 hour build but I think it's more like your 25 hours. My only criticism of the Motoko3 is just a single row of stitches on the back end of the front flap and the single rivet holding the straps both of which are taking all the weight when using the carry handle.

On 8/17/2019 at 1:21 AM, bikermutt07 said:

The pattern did come with an inside pocket. I'll need to resize those and post them. I see a lot of first timers on Facebook that started with Tony's patterns. He also posts an assembly video with each build. Give it a shot. It doesn't take a lot of tools to do his stuff.

That's a lovely bag.  I dream of doing it one day.  Where can I get that pattern.  I have some leather, which I am not sure how to use.  At least I will learn some thing.

Regards

Sangrati

6 hours ago, Sangrati said:

That's a lovely bag.  I dream of doing it one day.  Where can I get that pattern.  I have some leather, which I am not sure how to use.  At least I will learn some thing.

Regards

Sangrati

Subscribe to "niteKore" on youtube. He also has a channel on Etsy under "DieselpunkRo". Minimal tools needed on a lot of Tonys designs.

Decided to drop in this morning before running out the door, and Glad I did!  That is a great item you created my friend and don't take any less that what you have decided to price it at!  I can recall when you were starting out and that is a testament to a willingness to your dedication to take on new things and make them great!  As I was sitting here admiring the work I was reflecting back on items that I had made and wanted to make, and I think that when I decided to try and make money out of producing leather items that I NEEDED to sell instead of doing it for fun it lost its fun appeal!  Keep it fun and create things that make you happy! 

Looks awesome Mutt. I'm working through my first bag right now, it's the messenger bag from Leodis' packet. I got Acadia's Ruby premium pull-up for my bag. First time with their leather. It is beautiful stuff but scratches a bit easier than I'd like to see., wishin' I'd have went with the Crazyhorse after seeing yours.

Any reason you went with punched holes over slanted ones? Your stitching is so damned nice I thought you'd have went traditional. Don't get me wrong, the round holes look great on this, just curious is all.

Looks great other Matt! I have used his patterns before too. Instead of punching round holes I used my diamond awl and punched each hole individually. Lol That took a few minutes.