Sangrati..what would be in it for those who are already in business if they did this

What I meant is those who are capable could help on the platform to those who are not so apt at the art and not let them release goods until they meet the standard.

They would help for what reason..what would it benefit them ? you should also be aware that some of us in already in business here, are already in contact via email etc directly, and already help each other out with sourcing etc where we can.This here ( Johanna's place ), is  already "the platform" where " those who are capable could ( actually already do ) help on "the platform" to those who are not so apt at the art"..you are talking about a commercial  "market place" form of a guild..as already exists in Germany and some other countries..I'm not at all sure,no, belay that.. in fact I'd be definitely against anyone telling anyone that "they could not release goods until they meet the standard"..in the USA that is called "restraint of trade".Nope , no way, no how, nope, nope, nope, niet , nein, non, leh...

JLS..I did n't bother posting re

who would be interested in video(s) aimed at increasing production/profit?

Because

1)Brian works in a different field from me..what is relevant to his "mass production" ( or at least large scale production is not relevant to what I do )..so I would not be a subscriber..But, from pure curiosity ( depending on the subject ) I might be interested in an individual video(s)..Never hurts to learn something new if one has the time..I've never actually see any of Brian's videos he has posted here, because unless I'm on youtube, I block youtube and Google ..But his "how to threads" are superb :)..so, if he were to make videos, I would be pretty certain that they would be worthwhile to many..How many depends on how many here are hobbyists, ( I suspect as Jeff said recently that it is the vast majority ) and how many of them would have the time and funds to invest in what is necessary to move into true production of the kind of things Brian makes..or things in which those techniques might be useful.

2)Personally, given the huge level of skill and experience and creativity he has, and the fact that he is a very good teacher (as is evidenced by his "how tos" )..If he were in the USA or Europe ( rather than the expensive to get to Australia ) I'd have suggested to him privately long a go that he thinks about opening a school ( even if only for a few weeks per year ) with small groups of students who would visit him in Australia ( stay for however long the courses were* )..They would pay him ( the rip off "courses being run out of Italy seem to do very well, and are IMO very expensive for the little that they teach, and as many of their teachers are not experienced enough themselves, they often teach badly ) ..That I would see as viable..I've run similar things in the UK , Malta, and France related to teaching people how to to draw, paint and sculpt better. But it is far easier to run classes when accommodation is easy to find close to them, they do not require long distance expensive flights to get to, there are not possible visa and passport questions..But above ll it is easier to run classes when one is not also running a very high quality luxury goods production business , with clients and commitments to service, at the same time..

From the rates that people such as Nigel and some of those who run shoemaking courses ( another skill that Brian has "coming out of his ears", could probably make fantastic shoes in his sleep ;) ) people do not want to pay enough per video to make it worthwhile  ..at least I wouldn't get out of bed for what I see videos being charged for..Whereas courses where people actually have to show up and you show them and guide them..that is a "different kettle of fish" ( "ball game" if you are left side of the pond) ..hobbyists are prepared to go hungry to pay to learn from someone who is really good..

It also removes the potential problem of videos being copied and "shared", likewise PDF files ( although they, PDF files  are easier to secure against casual copying and "sharing" than videos )..see my comment a day or so ago in the Tandy "free" thread re videos...The other factor with videos, which you have mentioned a few times Jeff , and which I agree totally with you on, ( came outta left field there huh ;) )  is that almost the first thing that happens when someone who really knows what they are doing, makes a video, every youtube wannabee , makes a video of what they just saw ( like it was their idea ) throws it up on youtube for the "fame" and / or the ad money ( without a large number of subscribers only Google gets paid for the ads that roll, but some still think they are going to live on 10cts per 1000 views ) ..and the world gets  a snowball effect of videos about "how to "whatever,  done badly, by people who have no idea, but who just watched someone who did know.

If Brian is ever interested in going down the "in person courses" route, the nuts and bolts of how it could be done, and what could be included, what the marketing would need to be, what the rates might be, etc etc..Should best be ( IMO ) discussed privately*..not in open forum, where, as has happened, almost instantly someone jumps in to try and organise the leatherworkers world second coming..or the latest Etsy off the back of other people's skills and talent. 

Is the daughter of the woman that was run down cute ? ;)

ps..my gross profit is 9 or 10 times what the materials and time to make "whatever " costs me..net..( everything taken out, materials, roof over head, vehicles,  machines, energy  insurance, income tax etc etc, is around 7.5 to 8 times what ever was "cost"..sometimes materials don't even cost 5% or even 1% of final price..( productivity etc is already "optimised" ) Could make more..would have to get up earlier, I do not really do mornings...Also have to leave time for doing other things, not my only business, and family comes first too.

Management accountants..in French we say "des compteurs de haricots"..

Gonna go unpack my new laser, arrived today..I'll look in later to see how I might make it more productive..or something.

My apologies Brian :)..sort of hi-jacked your thread a little there..But I think it was more relevant than a second Etsy or a commercial guild.

Edited by mikesc
typos etc, clarity.

44 minutes ago, mikesc said:

But, from pure curiosity ( depending on the subject ) I might be interested in an individual video(s)..Never hurts to learn something new if one has the time..I've never actually see any of Brian's videos he has posted here, because unless I'm on youtube, I block youtube and Google ..But his "how to threads" are superb :).

Exactly where I"m at with it.

4 hours ago, mikesc said:

This here ( Johanna's place ), is  already "the platform" where " those who are capable could ( actually already do ) help on "the platform" to those who are not so apt at the art"

Effin' A.

16 hours ago, chrisash said:

But what about those large lumps and armoured parts on the tail

Mostly that goes into key tags and wristbands but its too beautiful to just throw away.

Here's a few for you

DSC03573_resize.JPG

DSC03679.JPG

IMGP1282_resize.JPG

IMGP1156_resize.JPG

DSC05498_resize.JPG

DSC07587IFB.JPG

IMGP4120_resize.jpg

Wow, your design skills are fantastic as well as your leather skills , those items are a great showcase of your skills

Brian, considering that working with leather is just a hobby for me, the value of my opinion is not very great. But I’ll put in my 2 cents anyway ...
You have at least 2 great talents - the ability to make beautiful leather things and the ability to visually and in an accessible form to show the process and the nuances. You have a huge arsenal of methods, devices and know-how that make the process of creating great leather things predictable (in terms of an excellent end result) and, as I understand it, cost-effective. I think that for many for whom leatherworking is a means of earning, your videos will be useful.

44 minutes ago, chrisash said:

Wow, your design skills are fantastic as well as your leather skills , those items are a great showcase of your skills

Thanks you ...I sort of felt after all the high references from @mikesc  about me above I better throw something in here.:wub:

So much that you have said Mike would appear to be true. I will get back tomorrow to touch on these thoughts a little more. It is almost like I need to write a book of my past and experiences to date and finding the time to explain myself better is always a challenge. I wish I had the way with words that you and JLS at times seem to have in abundance.

5 minutes ago, ABHandmade said:

Brian, considering that working with leather is just a hobby for me, the value of my opinion is not very great. But I’ll put in my 2 cents anyway ...
You have at least 2 great talents - the ability to make beautiful leather things and the ability to visually and in an accessible form to show the process and the nuances. You have a huge arsenal of methods, devices and know-how that make the process of creating great leather things predictable (in terms of an excellent end result) and, as I understand it, cost-effective. I think that for many for whom leatherworking is a means of earning, your videos will be useful.

Coming from people like yourself with your own awesome talent ....I am soooo happy that you say this. I hope to be able to work out a way to be able to share my knowledge and generally if I want something I find a way to get it.:wave:

OK, Make the video! Please?

Back up the boat for a second, one ROOT issue I see ALL the time - "crafters" seem to have no concept of the cost of the goods they make.  

• How was that leather you ordered?  "Good... better'n some.  Not as good as that one thing".. this is not quantifiable, and not useful from a cost /benefit standpoint. 

And many seem to have no idea what their goods are actually worth.

• They see an item for sale, lessay fer $100.  So with virtually no regard for comparison of quality, longevity, or skill, they decide that $100 is "market value" (which they heard somewhere once) and mark their version of it at $100.

And it shouldn't need to be said, but it always does.  You need to THINK.  Think about TIME, INCIDENTALS, and BULLSpIT.

INCIDENTALS?  LIke my printer quit today without warning.  Not a major issue, but I have a few things to do that require the printer.  Dead in the water... empty sails.  it's realy the time, AND, 

I recently had a ZOO of an experience with a retailer.  I ordered some stuff, not even a large qty of stuff.  ANd I got one item the sales gal didn't have sufficient information on (not her fault, but still it's an issue) and one item NOT EVEN what I asked for, and one the right item but CLEARLY substandard quality and unacceptable.  Now, give em some credit, they made good on those problems (or, rather, are in the process of doing so). But that's a business owner, probably the manager, and several of their employees, and myself, all spending WAY too much time on something this small.  So the loss is TIME, but maybe it's in "incidentals"...

TIME.  In addtion to the above, there's a reverse side of the coin.  There has to be some knowledge of WHY you use time the way you do.  What's right for one may not be for another.  But I often see the SAME people talking about comparison shopping for HOURS to save $20, and going on about sharpening their very cosmetic tools, then insisting that their time is valuable - it's "money".  Again, each his own, but if I'm making $60/hour, WHY would I want to sharpen a blade for half an hour ($30) when I can pay someone $20 to get it back ALREADY sharp, and use that 1/2 hour for something else.  Money in the bank, I would think.

And.. the BULLSpIT:  You know, I'm gonna skip this section. YOU know it, I know it, the person DOING it knows it.  Recognize it.  Call it what it is, act accordingly.

COUPLE quick stories since I'm killing this time waiting on printer stuff anyway...

One sweet pea of a crafter got mad at ME cuz I pointed out that sewing around a piece of leather and calling it a 'hand made guitar strap' doesn't make it worth $100 -- no matter how many times you get on instagram and say "hand sewn".  It's just not.

Lighter, but still relevant, side .... Gal walks in the butcher shop, says she needs hamburger. 

• Butcher "that'll be $4"
  • Gal : "WHAT?  $4 fer hamburger?  The guy across the street sells it to me for $3/lb!". 
  • Butcher: "then go across the street and buy it."
  • Gal "I can't, they're out right now".
  • Butcher:  Oh, well they're charging TOO MUCH then.. When WE"RE out it's only TWO dollars.

So, how many think they know what that's about?  Beat it yerself... I'm off to check on printer 'stuff'..

While reading this thread, I couldn't help but wonder if your first video should be the proper approach to profitably make videos about profitably making leather goods... :Lighten: