Sign in to follow this  
Jerryld1971

241-11

Reading on the Singer 241, the 11 was light  to med duty, the 12 was med to heavy and the 13 was heavy to extra heavy. I do see also though that they use the same bobbins, bobbin cases, and hook assembly. So many parts seem exactly the same so what makes the 241-13 more capable of heavyweight use than the others. Thanks

In many cases the machines just differ in small details you would not notice at a first glance. it is often just the feed dogs and needle plates that differ - f.i. - feed dog has coarse teeth instead of fine teeth for better feeding of heavier materials. And the needle plate just has a larger size needle hole to run larger size needles and so forth - that could be the difference for "heavier material".  Or machines have a roller foot instead of  plain presser foot or are furnished for edge binding operations. Or a different foot lift lever gives the machine a slightly higher foot lift. There are may small details that COULD be different. And keep in mind even when Industrial machines with different subclasses look the same and have the same needle plate and feed dog (f.i.) you never know if one of the former owners / users or even a dealer has changed out parts or altered some settings or not. So sometimes you really can´t tell the difference between subclasses by just looking at the machine.

At Singer 29K machines the presence of an oil / wax  cups (for sewing with waxes thread) puts it into another subclass but the rest of the machine is still the same. But a lot of people retro fit a oil / wax so the machine name plate still has the subclass of a machines w/o the oil / wax cup.... You know what I mean?

Edited by Constabulary

14 hours ago, Jerryld1971 said:

Reading on the Singer 241, the 11 was light  to med duty, the 12 was med to heavy and the 13 was heavy to extra heavy. I do see also though that they use the same bobbins, bobbin cases, and hook assembly. So many parts seem exactly the same so what makes the 241-13 more capable of heavyweight use than the others. Thanks

The Singer 241 series are high speed factory production machines, meant to be run at several thousand stitches per minute (spm) to distribute the oil to all the wicks. In the case of the -13, that speed is 4300 spm.

Compared to the Singer 241-11 and 12, the -13 has a courser and wider tooth feed dog, with a matching throat plate, higher foot lift, longer stitch length, longer needle bar stroke and longer needle system and I believe a different needle bar. There may be more differences inside and outside the machine, including the upper tension spring. The specs for all three are shown in the Singer 241 manual.

Note, that all three have a factory maximum needle size of #21 (hence, #92 bonded, or Tex 105, or button hole thread). Using larger needles for larger thread requires modifying the bobbin case with a grinder and file, as shown in this video.

You can see the 241- variances on the attached pages from the Singer catalog.  

Singer241Class.pdf