splinters

Top coat question: Fiebing's Leather Balm

After doing some stitching and edge practice on natural veg-tan I decided to top coat it with Fiebing's Leather Balm. Found that I liked the way it applied, looks and feels but was wondering how it would work on carved and stamped work if not allowed to pool in low spots. If anyone has experience with that would you please let me know how it went?

Thanks

5jmCUmK.jpg

I use this a lot on my stuff. Including a wrist brace I've worn for almost two years. It's tooled and stamped and I've never had any issues with It. That's stuff is one of my go to products 

I use it on embossed belts with no problem

Thanks very much gents. That was what I hoping and looking for. :thumbsup:

I have been this for years with no problems. I also use the  leather balm/adam  wax   black and the ginger with great results 

17 hours ago, cowhide said:

I have been this for years with no problems. I also use the  leather balm/adam  wax   black and the ginger with great results 

Would you explain the black and ginger part of your comment? I would like to know what that entails as I’m not familiar with it. Thanks.

Edited by splinters

3 hours ago, splinters said:

Would you explain the black and ginger part of your comment? I would like to know what that entails as I’m not familiar with it. Thanks.

first dye tour leather Black buff, then apply the leather balm/Adam wax/ black will give a high gloss finish.

the Ginger will give u a golden wax finish. also can put over a brown dye to get a darker brown gloss finish

photo  is the Ginger finish

hip bag 3.jpg

Thanks cowhide for responding to my request. Much appreciated.

cowhide

i believe that Fiebing's  stopped making the black Leather Balm with atom wax or I wasn't able to find it anywhere. i was able to get a comparable item from Zack White but it looks they quite selling that item also.

zonker

41 minutes ago, Zonker1972 said:

cowhide

i believe that Fiebing's  stopped making the black Leather Balm with atom wax or I wasn't able to find it anywhere. i was able to get a comparable item from Zack White but it looks they quite selling that item also.

zonker

sorry to hear that, but it has been a while  since I have ordered any

They still make it.  I just ordered a 32oz bottle and received it Thursday from Tandy. 

7 hours ago, waywar said:

leatherbalm.jpg

I think they are referring to the Black LB/AW.  Fiebings has stopped making all flavors except Neutral.
I spoke with one of their chemists a year or so ago. He advised me that you can take some of the EcoFlo leather dyes and mix then with the neutral LB/AW and have an equivalent for the discontinued products. He didn't know the ratios and advised me to just do small samples and start with maybe 5% dye to 95% LB.
What I did was make brown and black.  I dyed some sample pieces and used my test batches to see the results.
To be honest, I actually found little difference between the Neutral and the "best" brown batch and on the black, I saw virtually no difference whatsoever.
So now, I just use the neutral for everything.

BTW, I make a ton of dog collars, belts, key fobs and such. I use the LB/AW for almost everything and love it. I put it on after the dye and buff it well, then, if I have any stampings/engravings, I apply my antiquing on top, let it sit until I see it just start to lose it's "gloss" and then wipe it off as if I was block dying a piece.

After it dries overnight, I apply 50/50 resolene, again, using a block dye technique applied quickly. This takes off any excess antiquing with ripping the stuff out of the impressions.

Thanks for clarifying...I honestly have never seen it in any other color than neutral.  The Amish guy I started with never had anything but the neutral and I never thought to ask.  lol