PalmieriLeather

Would this be good to use for a stamp

I recently had my stamp made and I'm looking to get an inexpensive press. I recently found this 1 ton arbor press at Harbor Freight. What do you guys think of using this for my stamp? Here's the link: https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-arbor-press-3552.html

I use a 2-1/2 ton arbor press...and recently have been wishing I had my old 5 ton.  Maybe I'm just getting weaker, and just my opinion, but I think in this case, bigger is in fact better (in terms of arbor presses for leather stamps). Might depend on the size and area of the stamp you are using too...1 ton surely is enough for a small, say 1 sq inch stamp, but as you start getting into bigger stamps, more is better.

I use the 1 ton arbor press for stamps and it is more than adequate for stamps up to @1” diameter.  I had a clicker die made that measures @1.5 x 2.5” and it struggles with that a bit.

Gary

If a fella got a few more inches of space, it's worth gittin' this'n.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-a-frame-bench-shop-press-1666.html

I got it with a coupon fer like under $50.  Stomps a 3" "maker stamp" and small cutting dies like butter through a hot knife.  Er', sumthin' like that anyway.  It's alittle taller, but still fit under the bench easy.

4 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

If a fella got a few more inches of space, it's worth gittin' this'n.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-a-frame-bench-shop-press-1666.html

I got it with a coupon fer like under $50.  Stomps a 3" "maker stamp" and small cutting dies like butter through a hot knife.  Er', sumthin' like that anyway.  It's alittle taller, but still fit under the bench easy.

Jeff, That looks like just the thing I need!  I see a trip to HF coming up.  Do you just put a steel plate on top of the die?

Gary

1 hour ago, garypl said:

Do you just put a steel plate on top of the die?

Yup, it comes with a pair of inch thick plates maybe 3x5?  So one on the bottom, leather (and a cutting block if you're cutting) and then the other plate.  Pretty fast pump action too... no stalling your day.  Handy.  Punches out mag pouches like nuthin'

Edited by JLSleather

I have the 1 ton arbor press from HF too. Works fine on my 1" maker's stamp. If I'd have had the chance though I'd have grabbed that 6 ton. The arbor press is handy for quick rivets too though, not sure if the bottle jack one is or not, may be a bit more ass than desired for things like those rivets.

I have done up to a 9x9" plate with the same HF 1 ton arbor press. You just can do it all at once.  Press, move everything over 1" (which is the size of the ram), rinse and repeat until you cover the entire

surface with maybe some overlap presses. works fine.

I think I may get a cheater bar for mine as well, the handle that comes with it is a bit short and with a longer lever arm you can likely get some more effort out of it...it IS HR though, so maybe overclocking it ain't the best idea.

12 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

I think I may get a cheater bar for mine as well, the handle that comes with it is a bit short and with a longer lever arm you can likely get some more effort out of it...it IS HR though, so maybe overclocking it ain't the best idea.

Yeah, on that 1-ton HF press, I had to set the bar so that it was horizontal when making contact with the stamp, so that I could put all of my weight on it. Mine is not bolted down (so that I can easily move it if necessary) so I have to press with my strong hand and steady the unit by placing my other hand on top of the unit. Then I just lay into it for 10 seconds or so. This is for a 1" stamp. I have one of the 6-ton presses but I never bother with that for the 1" stamp. Of course, you could just slip a 2' piece of pipe over the handle for more leverage, if needed. 

I was brought a half ton arbor, and I then brought  a 1 metre length of 25mm steel tube, that goes over the bar when needed to give far more pressure, just slip it over the existing bar, not sure what the mechanical advantage is but must be quite a lot

25% off at HF today only.   Jus' sayin' ....

I looked at the sale and thought really hard about it earlier when I got the email reminder. I have run out of room and really don't NEED more crap. Saving 25% on anything is super tempting. If my dog offered me a turd @25% off I'd think about it.

I do have to drive past it in a few minutes.....

So.Torn. Damned American consumerism.

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

25% off at HF today only.   Jus' sayin' ....

Picked up the 6 ton press today for $60 with the 25% discount.  Heading down to set it up now!

I should have bought one of these a long time ago - can’t believe how easy it punches through the leather with clicker dies!

B6B54EC0-BC69-4B7F-90AC-232C5E83F304.jpeg

Also set up my nephew’s 10 year old with a starter set - he has been over a couple of times and always asks to go make something.  They are moving to Florida next month, so I hope he likes it enough to keep working at it!

98B908DF-0CA4-4948-9FEC-951A4D54AEEA.jpeg

Told ya ;)  Don't take up much room in the place neither. I got the bigger press out the shed, but this is nice for the smaller stuff.  Quiet operation too.  Now it WOULD be nice, think I might pick up the little 1-ton thingie... just to have one that you got the "feel" of the press.. more for snaps n such.

Any idea what clicker die size limit this 6 ton press can handle?  It pushes the small 2.5” die right through leather.  What is the largest size clicker die you have used with yours?  Don’t want to spend money buying dies too large to use with this press.

lk.jpgWell, I know  YOU know, and I know, but for others who DON"T know......

Different types of "cutting". (blanking, piercing, shearing, etc) but as a simplified rule.... the force required depends on the perimeter of the cut and the thickness of the material and of course how sharp or dull the knife (because it affects the area of the cut...). 

SO then, I've used this for these palm sized dies in 8 oz leather... got a length of cut of about 16-17".  Think single mag pouch.   I would think that spreading the force out across the die is more a consideration than the force involved.  If you have a plate to cover it, I wouldn't worry about being able to blank out holsters for many autos.  Now, a skirted western "bucket" could be an issue,... but that wouldn't' fit in there anyway.  Wallets 'n' such, maybe you hit one end, move it over, hit the other end.  

Edited by JLSleather
pic

Untitled-4.jpg

Oh, maybe should clarify.... that SAME die, with two belt slots added (for example) would be the SAME size, but perhaps 30% more pressure needed due to the increased CUTTING LENGTH. 

Two slots 1 1/2" long x 5/16" wide would add about 6" more cutting surface to a die the same "size",... so.. this is why I mention this in a question of "how big of a die...."

Thanks Jeff - I figured the limitation would be about what you show here.  Will have to get some steel plates for support - those little ones supplied with the press won’t allow much under the press.