nickhaprov

Rifle stock cover question

Hi there, I’m wanting to make myself a stock cover for my rifle and am after a bit of help with how to go about it, normally just do belts and the like so this is new territory for me.  I’m wanting to stitch on the diamond shaped bit as a bit of a cheek riser but it seems that the leather main part when it folds around the stock pulls a bit?  Just wondering how that would work after the piece is glued and stitched on?  Would it be fine to assemble it all together after tooling and be good to go?  Would it best to dunk in water and then wrap?  Or would I need to tool the main part, put that on the rifle, then put the diamond shape on and mark for stitching and try to do it after the leathers curved on the stock?  Tried looking a bit but might not be searching correctly.  Any advice would be much appreciated as leathers a bit pricy in NZ. Will be using 7-8oz leather.  Thanks!  Below is what I’ve got in mind

F5A7FD8D-949D-49B7-8A28-7341C6F6F02E.png

Edited by nickhaprov

I make cheek risers for friends this way.  They are sandwiched layers of leather, . . . contact cemented together.

I put one on the stock, . . . hold it down with rubber bands, . . . then contact cement the next layer on and keep going until I get it as high as I want it.

I take the finished "height" piece, . . . sand the sides smooth on a belt sander, . . . 

I then put the outside covering on it, . . . after any tooling or stamping, . . . dye, . . . and send it out.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight, would you happen to have any photos of the process?  Thanks