I'm looking for my first sewing machine. I've read a lot of threads here (including the pinned ones), watched a lot of videos, and I know just enough to confuse myself.

I know (I think?) I need a cylinder arm with flatbed attachment, compound feed, walking foot, be able to sew .5" of leather, with servo motor & speed reducer, must do reverse, have an edge guide, and preferably have an additional flat, slotted throat plate for use with softer or thinner leather.

Like everyone, I want to be able to sew everything from wallets and purses, portfolios and notebooks, to knife sheaths, chrome tan and veg, backpacks and briefcases. One of the questions asked is what thickness of thread to you want to sew, and I don't know the thread number, but I want to be able to sew a backpack or duffel bag and fill it with 50 pounds of gear and throw it down the driveway, kick it through the airport (or send it through as checked luggage), or drag it through the dirt and not have to worry about it coming apart. What thread number is right for that? (I know a lot of strength comes from leather thickness, construction methods, rivets, and double stitching stress points) (I will not be making saddles or horse gear)

I prefer making gear that's more rugged than refined. I hand stitch wallets using 1mm thread at 5spi. (I know the machine will use much thinner thread, but it's a reference point for the way I like to construct/overbuild gear)

This is just a hobby for me so the machine might only get used for a few hours per week. 
If I'll max out at 1/2", what is the least expensive machine that would work?
I would prefer to stay under $2K, max $2.5K including shipping, table/stand, and whatever extra components are necessary. 
Failing that, what's the best I can get in that price range?
If there's not a machine, or not one I can afford, that will do it all, then I'd rather sew watch straps by hand and backpacks on the machine than the other way around, so which machine to do the heavy stuff?
Does anybody know of a dealer for these types of machines in Oregon?

GA5/CB2500. It's a clone of the Adler Klasse 5, itself a clone of the Singer 45K21. $1400 from Toledo Sewing (one of this site's sponsors), or $1100 if you can make do without reverse.

I love the 45K designs, and think they're very capable, reliable machines but there are better machines out there. Triple-feed will have your layers slip less, allow you to climb easier, and will mark your leathers less. CB3200 is about $1900 and a much more forgiving machine that will require less tweaking when changing jobs. However if you really want to keep the machinery costs down a 45K clone is more than capable of what you want to use it for.

You may have difficulty adjusting a heavy machine to work well on wallets and other lighter items. It depends largely on your skills and experience adjusting mechanical devices, plus how much patience/time you can dedicate to that job. But since it's a hobby for you I expect that speed and ease of adjustment is less important than budget constraints.

I can try to help out a bit, so first tip maybe an option you could happily consider. :Lighten:

Off-topic link removed

On another note, its always a good discussion on brands and service facilities. It maybe an option near by for sale, as its usually a great place to search pretty heavily from my opinion. 

Have a good day

Floyd

Your best sewing machine option that can actually sew together 1/2 inch of veg-tan leather is the Cowboy CB3200. It can do this with up to #346 bonded thread. You can get an idea about the diameters and strengths of various sewing threads in this needle and thread chart. There is a flat slotted plate available for this machine and a flat table attachment, both at extra cost. The machine sells for $1895 plus shipping, so it is within your stated budget.

If you go this route, buy extra packs of smaller size needles to use with thinner thread. They are outlined in the needle and thread chart. The smallest available in leather point for this machine is a #23 (160), which works great with #138 top and bottom, or even a combination of #207 on top and #138 in the bobbin. If you want to sew with thinner thread, like #92, you'll need a #19 needle, which is only available in round point. Ditto for a #18 needle to sew with #69 thread (for wallet interiors).

I hope this helps.

On 8/22/2019 at 10:15 AM, brmax said:

What's with this link, Floyd? Did you paste the wrong search results? Or is it a joke?

Once you get the machine, don't forget you can always call Bob for help. I have been dealing with Bob for several years now, and he has great customer service.