BNEWTONP

PORTER SADDLE AUTHENTICATION

My Grandfather - Fred S. Porter, Sr. - wrote in Catalog Number 34 for the Summer and Fall of 1948: "We use leather of the finest tannage and quality, the best hardware. Our saddle makers are master craftsmen who take pleasure in making your saddles which are built with seats that are easy riding and comfortable...saddles constructed to give years of service. When you combine the above into a saddle, you have the best."

To this day, Porter saddles continue to work. Many are held in private collections, while others are on display in western museums throughout the country. Should you happen to have a Porter saddle in your care and are interested in knowing its original history, let us know. We have the original build cards for over 30,000 Porter saddles. I've included an examples of build cards and as you can see, it includes information that gives provenance to its authenticity. The serial number is found on the (near side) stamped on the rear skirt, under the rear jockey.

BNPimageproxy.php?img=&key=81964be983ea98b5 

Porter_Saddle_13396_Build-Card_05-28-1938.jpg

12161.png

Hello! I’m hoping to find out about an N. Porter saddle I picked up at a garage sale and have been cleaning up, I bought it because of how buttery soft the leather was, even under ages of dust and dirt. It’s really starting to look beautiful now! 

The number on the saddle is 30953

It has JONES stamped across the cantle

Edited by Bethmcc
Photo wasn’t good - retaking a better one

My husband recently brought home his great-grandfather's Porter saddle and we'd love to find out more about it! We haven't cleaned it up yet so please don't mind the dusty pictures. Just so excited we wanted to get the pictures on here. 

Screenshot_20200206-142949_Gallery.jpg

I have a Porter saddle in nearly pristine condition that I use - its slick and  doesn't have tooling.  The ID # is Q31895 and would like to know any history that can be provide, ie - year made, for whom, etc.

Thanks,

Renegade12

i have a Porter Saddle that has been on display in my parents home for over 20+years.  I used it to ride when I was a child. It is is good condition.  The number is Q32662.  I would like to know more about the history of this saddle, as well as the value.  Also, can you tell me the best way to go about selling the saddle.  

Thanks in advance.

AllynB

Porter Saddle Q32662.jpg

Hi,

A friend has this old saddle. All the leather is pretty strong although a lot of scuffs, some cracking, dirt &  maybe mold? I think. The underside is not good. Is this something that would be repairable without breaking the bank or is it a total loss. I tried to search on the Port Parker trademark and did not find anything, do you know who this maker is? I know nothing of western saddles only dressage and English but could the leather be cleaned with glycerin saddle soap or is there something better for all the tooling? These photos are not the best and there are a few more in a separate post. Thank you!

1175802581_NPORTERPORTPARKERSADDLEright(2).jpg.a21823f9c33034718016dad653d087d5.jpg1187018124_NPORTERPORTPARKERSADDLEstirrup.jpg.5d49db82841d9c89eda816982d7e0c8e.jpg114527417_NPORTERPORTPARKERSADDLEfronthorn(3).thumb.jpg.2d5b4cfc993a3af493eb480d4fa75d4d.jpg1219031203_NPORTERPORTPARKERSADDLEtop.jpg.c53f9b3148170daa410d571bd41617bc.jpg

Edited by romaIII

That is an N. Porter (or Newton Porter).  He was a very well known saddle maker and his saddles are collectable to the right people.  Try running your search again with the right name and you will come up with lots of history!

I would like to see what the stamp says above the Porter stamp.  Porter made a couple types of 'specialty' saddles like the "Toots Mansfield" calf roper.  They had an additional stamp on them.  I cant tell what yours says...

I like Skidmore's Leather Cream for cleaning and conditioning.

Thank you  for the cleaning advice Cliffrose. The stamp say Port Parker Trademark. I couldn't get additional photos to post so I will try again. The fleece is completely gone on the saddle so it would

probably be to costly to fix.

1191438622_NPORTERPORTPARKERSADDLEtrademark.thumb.jpg.adc5d86073d7cddb59c5c16cf43b8993.jpg

I have a porter saddle I would like to get info on the saddle if possible. The saddle number is 1 2791 I have attached some pics of my saddle. Thank you

I have 2 Porter saddles That have been in my family since being built, I think. The #'s for the 2 saddles are #10694 and #16455. Any information you could give for these 2 saddles would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Hi BNP, I also have a Porter saddle that my stepfather gave me in 2014. He passed away in 2019. I am not sure when or where he purchased it, but he used it for years working cattle. His name was Joaquin Medeiros and he lived in the Central Valley of California. The saddle number is 26476. I find it amazing that you have the cards for each saddle ever made.  I am interested in seeing the card for this saddle. Is that something you can post for me?

Frank Souza

Monterey California

I'm looking for information on my father's saddle. It's a N. Porter saddle serial number 15582 stamped into a skirt piece. There is also a metal plate at the back of the saddle that says Janss investment Corp 474. 

What can you tell me about it?

I posted about this saddle on another thread before I found this one.    I am a bit deeper into cleaning it and have more info now.     Please add to your list  of ones to look up next time.    It is a Trademarked Port Parker.     It’s number on the near side skirt is:  26288.        I will try and attach some pictures.     The cantle has a brand CW on it and then a name across the Cheyanne Roll that I think says WENDELL but I am not a hundred percent sure on that.

Thank you very much!

4759186A-4623-4D03-B828-C8579AC84BB3.jpeg

Hello,

I was hoping for some more info on this Porter saddle I received recently. Serial number is 14686. Another stamped mark says "Chet Lima Maker Fallon, Nev". Any help is appreciated.

Best regards

On 8/22/2019 at 9:27 AM, BNEWTONP said:

My Grandfather - Fred S. Porter, Sr. - wrote in Catalog Number 34 for the Summer and Fall of 1948: "We use leather of the finest tannage and quality, the best hardware. Our saddle makers are master craftsmen who take pleasure in making your saddles which are built with seats that are easy riding and comfortable...saddles constructed to give years of service. When you combine the above into a saddle, you have the best."

To this day, Porter saddles continue to work. Many are held in private collections, while others are on display in western museums throughout the country. Should you happen to have a Porter saddle in your care and are interested in knowing its original history, let us know. We have the original build cards for over 30,000 Porter saddles. I've included an examples of build cards and as you can see, it includes information that gives provenance to its authenticity. The serial number is found on the (near side) stamped on the rear skirt, under the rear jockey.

BNPimageproxy.php?img=&key=81964be983ea98b5 

Porter_Saddle_13396_Build-Card_05-28-1938.jpg

12161.png

I would love information on my Porter saddle! Here are the stamped numbers.

PAT NO 2666285

This one is a little harder to ready. The first large stamp is either a Q, O, or 0. The numbers are 35330 or 35430.

Thank you!

20201215_203453.jpg

20201215_203340.jpg

20201215_141744.jpg

I also have a N. Porter saddle. It's in pretty good shape considering the age of it. Beautiful custom design!! Any information would be appreciated. It is stamped with N. Porter Co with a steer head and #28549

Hi everyone, interesting post, I just happen to have one of these  saddles serial number T902 made by N PORTER CO TUCSON ARIZONA  I’ll post some pics when I figure out how to do it from this page, lol, maybe I can get some info on it, it will be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

I managed to figure out my problem with the pics, hopefully I can get some info on this one,,, thanks!!26036386-9663-495F-A6D9-2F526F77BB41.jpeg.e378b467905a783a6c0542a1d26256f6.jpeg0D15573B-E389-4A4A-B7EE-0A5B2FE851E9.jpeg.519dfb9ee22f3daad3f623a2e2d04065.jpeg

2 hours ago, Sanchez said:

Hi everyone, interesting post, I just happen to have one of these  saddles serial number T902 made by N PORTER CO TUCSON ARIZONA  I’ll post some pics when I figure out how to do it from this page, lol, maybe I can get some info on it, it will be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

How did you up load your photos? I'm not sure how to do it.

2 hours ago, Sanchez said:

I figured out how to do the photo....

This is the saddle I am inquiring about in a couple posts up #28549. Beautiful designs on the pommel!!! 

20210106_111004.jpg

20210106_120647.jpg