BNEWTONP

PORTER SADDLE AUTHENTICATION

Hi... I recently bought an N. Porter saddle, nice tooling, stamped #24217. Has a 13" seat. Would love to find out who originally commissioned and bought it...thanks! Will post pictures as soon as I figure out how!

I am looking for a copy of my receipt for my saddle and  wanted to know if I could be mailed a copy by any chance.  The id number on the saddle is T147.  Any help would greatly be appreciated.  The original owner was a man with the name macabee 

I was just curious, has anyone recieved a response from the person who has the original sale tickets for the Porter Saddles?

Hi, Debi Killer, Wickenburg Arizona (actually a cabin in the woods in Peeples Valley Arizona)

I remember when Everett Bowman, Cowboys Turtle (Rodeo) Association founding and championship all-around cowboy, died...they used our high school gymnasium for his funeral...our rodeo arena is still dedicated to him. Actually, I am still friends with his granddaughter Rochelle (taught her to high jump) and great granddaughter, Clarissa.

Anyway, my husband put in a bid for a kids' saddle at Bruce Meier's saddle shop (Ray's Saddlery and later Ben's Saddlery, Wickenburg) and bought the saddle...$325 and we didn't even have kids yet. I think I was a little miffed at the time but when he got it home I noticed the distinctive Bowman Brand and I was thrilled, have kept it in the house since the '80s.

Now I have a 2-year-old granddaughter, Wiggles, and after we sent the little Bowman saddle to a friend Randy Foraker to "clean and little repairs" we saw the Porter Stamp and were even more excited to clean and recondition it right. So I was substitute teaching 8th grade yesterday, they have 2 days of school left, it was a bit like herding cats, so I googled Porter Saddles and I wound up on this site and was thrilled. First thing this morning I called Randy and he said he is ever so gently taking things apart for a good cleaning...we talked our way to the card nailed to the tree and the stamps, so thrilled you put these testimonials and photos up...thank you, thank you, all.

So, the tag says Everett Bowman and the number is 20804.  There is another number 800 and in a four leaf clover pattern the numbers 8, 2, 2, 4.

I would love a photo of the card and the information...Randy says this is the second Porter Saddle he has had in to recondition and I will be sure and leave him this resource.

This was already an opportunity for me as a 60-year-old kid from Wickenburg, to own a piece of our cowboy history. I used to keep my horse at Ray Bybee's place on the Hassayampa River, then it sold to David Stout, RCA Hall of Famer, I mean PRCA and I remember him being proud to live in Everett's home town. I would watch the Rifleman with Mr. Stout and he knew Johnny Crawford that played the boy Mark. I was thrilled to find out my classmate Donna was Mr. David's grandpa.

Here I am an old lady and this Cowboy history, I still have the utmost respect for!! I worked in Ray's Saddlery and buckstitched belts for my B Bar K silver buckle, pulled beeswax strings on Cheyenne Rolls, worked repairing shoes, neatsfoot oiling the boys ball gloves every Spring...it was a great way to grow up and I am thankful every day to have grown up with this foundation. This little saddle will carry my  granddaughter and carry on the history of leather craftsmanship and Wickenburg, now the team roping capitol of the world...we have upgraded from Dude Ranch Capitol, I guess.

Thank you for your time and for putting this up on the internet...I will gladly pay for your time and service.

I am also curious, every summer I got a pair of Porter's leather thong sandals. We would buy them at Johnson's Dry Goods Store in downtown Wickenburg. I am not sure, but I think they came in white and tan, stitched sole...all leather, real leather. Did you guys make those too? The came in a plain white shoe box and they were your school and go to town shoes, we played barefoot so as not to mess them up.

Again, thank you, Debi Killer killerfm@earthlink.net

I will post a picture when I get the saddle back : ) and when the littlest cowgirl takes her first ride.

I have #27241.  I would love to know more about it.  My grandfather bought it from a roper at a rodeo in Calico Rock, AR in the early 70's.

Edited by Northmount
Removed bad links

I have a N Porter saddle with serial number 138803. There is a number 57 stamped on the rear of the cantle. It is in great condition. I would love to know the history. It’s one of the most beautiful saddles I’ve ever seen! Incredible craftsmanship!

On 4/19/2020 at 5:24 PM, JRWnWY said:

Do you have any information on saddle # 19898?

Thank you, Jan 

Following an extensive search through 30,000 build-cards, we've been unsuccessful in locating the card for this saddle. My apologies. We shall continue our effort and attempt to locate.

IMG_7720.jpeg

IMG_7718.jpeg

IMG_7719.jpeg

IMG_7736.jpeg

Hi BNEWTONP...

I have a beautiful N Porter Phoenix AZ saddle #21327.  If you are still looking up the build cards, I would love to find out any information it could provide.  It's so nice of you to do this for all of us Porter saddle fans!

So thanks in advance.:)

Laurie W

20220504_211331.jpg

20220504_211221.jpg

I inherited a Porter Brothers saddle from my grandfather. He kept it in his saddle shop and the tag he had on the saddle says “Made by Porter Brothers in 1914. It was very popular until the rodeo association ruled them out for bucking competition in 1919.”

N PORTER, PHOENIX ARIZ is stamped on the outside of both fenders and PHOENIX ARIZ is stamped on the top part of the back of the cantal. I found this number stamped on the inside of the fender:  2534. 

Hoping you can provide some insight on the origins of this saddle. 

Thanks,

Dana

I, too, would like build info for a N Porter saddle, model 37, serial number 31608.  Thank you very much, Lee Thompson  LRTnFL

On 3/9/2020 at 10:18 AM, romaIII said:

Hi,

A friend has this old saddle. All the leather is pretty strong although a lot of scuffs, some cracking, dirt &  maybe mold? I think. The underside is not good. Is this something that would be repairable without breaking the bank or is it a total loss. I tried to search on the Port Parker trademark and did not find anything, do you know who this maker is? I know nothing of western saddles only dressage and English but could the leather be cleaned with glycerin saddle soap or is there something better for all the tooling? These photos are not the best and there are a few more in a separate post. Thank you!

1175802581_NPORTERPORTPARKERSADDLEright(2).jpg.a21823f9c33034718016dad653d087d5.jpg1187018124_NPORTERPORTPARKERSADDLEstirrup.jpg.5d49db82841d9c89eda816982d7e0c8e.jpg114527417_NPORTERPORTPARKERSADDLEfronthorn(3).thumb.jpg.2d5b4cfc993a3af493eb480d4fa75d4d.jpg1219031203_NPORTERPORTPARKERSADDLEtop.jpg.c53f9b3148170daa410d571bd41617bc.jpg

Hi,

A friend has this old saddle. All the leather is pretty strong although a lot of scuffs, some cracking, dirt &  maybe mold? I think. The underside is not good. Is this something that would be repairable without breaking the bank or is it a total loss. I tried to search on the Port Parker trademark and did not find anything, do you know who this maker is? I know nothing of western saddles only dressage and English but could the leather be cleaned with glycerin saddle soap or is there something better for all the tooling? These photos are not the best and there are a few more in a separate post. Thank you!

1175802581_NPORTERPORTPARKERSADDLEright(2).jpg.a21823f9c33034718016dad653d087d5.jpg1187018124_NPORTERPORTPARKERSADDLEstirrup.jpg.5d49db82841d9c89eda816982d7e0c8e.jpg114527417_NPORTERPORTPARKERSADDLEfronthorn(3).thumb.jpg.2d5b4cfc993a3af493eb480d4fa75d4d.jpg1219031203_NPORTERPORTPARKERSADDLEtop.jpg.c53f9b3148170daa410d571bd41617bc.jpg

Circling back to our account here. Did we respond to you regarding this saddle? 

On 7/28/2022 at 7:28 PM, LRTnFL said:

I, too, would like build info for a N Porter saddle, model 37, serial number 31608.  Thank you very much, Lee Thompson  LRTnFL

Please visit nportersaddle.com and contact us with this serial number in the “Lets Start Here” form. We’re glad to help! BNP

On 4/19/2020 at 5:24 PM, JRWnWY said:

Do you have any information on saddle # 19898?

Thank you, Jan 

IMG_7720.jpeg

IMG_7718.jpeg

IMG_7719.jpeg

IMG_7736.jpeg

Jan,

We’ve pulled 19893 and 19898. Question are the initials E.C.H. stamped on the back of the cantle?

thanks,

BNP

Hi,

Beautiful saddle. Definitely made by my grandfather. Please visit nportersaddle.com and contact us with this serial number in the “Lets Start Here” form. We’re glad to help! BNP

On 4/23/2020 at 10:05 AM, Chis49 said:

I have 2 Porter saddles That have been in my family since being built, I think. The #'s for the 2 saddles are #10694 and #16455. Any information you could give for these 2 saddles would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Please visit nportersaddle.com and contact us with these serial numbers in the “Lets Start Here” form. We’re glad to help! BNP

On 5/27/2020 at 3:25 PM, fsouza said:

Hi BNP, I also have a Porter saddle that my stepfather gave me in 2014. He passed away in 2019. I am not sure when or where he purchased it, but he used it for years working cattle. His name was Joaquin Medeiros and he lived in the Central Valley of California. The saddle number is 26476. I find it amazing that you have the cards for each saddle ever made.  I am interested in seeing the card for this saddle. Is that something you can post for me?

Frank Souza

Monterey California

Please visit nportersaddle.com and contact us with this serial number in the “Lets Start Here” form. We’re glad to help! BNP

On 8/15/2020 at 3:23 PM, Mmaley said:

I'm looking for information on my father's saddle. It's a N. Porter saddle serial number 15582 stamped into a skirt piece. There is also a metal plate at the back of the saddle that says Janss investment Corp 474. 

What can you tell me about it?

We have pulled your build card. Please visit nportersaddle.com and contact us with this serial number in the “Lets Start Here” form. We’re glad to help! BNP

On 9/27/2020 at 12:38 AM, Ang said:

I received a N. Porter saddle from my mom and would love some information. Serial # 13723 

On 9/28/2020 at 11:35 PM, PurpleSage said:

I posted about this saddle on another thread before I found this one.    I am a bit deeper into cleaning it and have more info now.     Please add to your list  of ones to look up next time.    It is a Trademarked Port Parker.     It’s number on the near side skirt is:  26288.        I will try and attach some pictures.     The cantle has a brand CW on it and then a name across the Cheyanne Roll that I think says WENDELL but I am not a hundred percent sure on that.

Thank you very much!

4759186A-4623-4D03-B828-C8579AC84BB3.jpeg

On 1/20/2021 at 4:58 PM, Sanchez said:

I managed to figure out my problem with the pics, hopefully I can get some info on this one,,, thanks!!26036386-9663-495F-A6D9-2F526F77BB41.jpeg.e378b467905a783a6c0542a1d26256f6.jpeg0D15573B-E389-4A4A-B7EE-0A5B2FE851E9.jpeg.519dfb9ee22f3daad3f623a2e2d04065.jpeg

Clearly this is a Tucson but we’re trying to figure out the serial #. Please visit nportersaddle.com and contact us with this serial number in the “Lets Start Here” form. We’re glad to help! BNP

On 2/15/2021 at 1:34 PM, AngelLynne said:

I just purchased a N. Porter saddle and didn't even realize it was until I got it home. How do I find out about it?

Please visit nportersaddle.com. We’re glad to help! BNP

On 5/21/2021 at 3:58 PM, debiWickenburg said:

Hi, Debi Killer, Wickenburg Arizona (actually a cabin in the woods in Peeples Valley Arizona)

I remember when Everett Bowman, Cowboys Turtle (Rodeo) Association founding and championship all-around cowboy, died...they used our high school gymnasium for his funeral...our rodeo arena is still dedicated to him. Actually, I am still friends with his granddaughter Rochelle (taught her to high jump) and great granddaughter, Clarissa.

Anyway, my husband put in a bid for a kids' saddle at Bruce Meier's saddle shop (Ray's Saddlery and later Ben's Saddlery, Wickenburg) and bought the saddle...$325 and we didn't even have kids yet. I think I was a little miffed at the time but when he got it home I noticed the distinctive Bowman Brand and I was thrilled, have kept it in the house since the '80s.

Now I have a 2-year-old granddaughter, Wiggles, and after we sent the little Bowman saddle to a friend Randy Foraker to "clean and little repairs" we saw the Porter Stamp and were even more excited to clean and recondition it right. So I was substitute teaching 8th grade yesterday, they have 2 days of school left, it was a bit like herding cats, so I googled Porter Saddles and I wound up on this site and was thrilled. First thing this morning I called Randy and he said he is ever so gently taking things apart for a good cleaning...we talked our way to the card nailed to the tree and the stamps, so thrilled you put these testimonials and photos up...thank you, thank you, all.

So, the tag says Everett Bowman and the number is 20804.  There is another number 800 and in a four leaf clover pattern the numbers 8, 2, 2, 4.

I would love a photo of the card and the information...Randy says this is the second Porter Saddle he has had in to recondition and I will be sure and leave him this resource.

This was already an opportunity for me as a 60-year-old kid from Wickenburg, to own a piece of our cowboy history. I used to keep my horse at Ray Bybee's place on the Hassayampa River, then it sold to David Stout, RCA Hall of Famer, I mean PRCA and I remember him being proud to live in Everett's home town. I would watch the Rifleman with Mr. Stout and he knew Johnny Crawford that played the boy Mark. I was thrilled to find out my classmate Donna was Mr. David's grandpa.

Here I am an old lady and this Cowboy history, I still have the utmost respect for!! I worked in Ray's Saddlery and buckstitched belts for my B Bar K silver buckle, pulled beeswax strings on Cheyenne Rolls, worked repairing shoes, neatsfoot oiling the boys ball gloves every Spring...it was a great way to grow up and I am thankful every day to have grown up with this foundation. This little saddle will carry my  granddaughter and carry on the history of leather craftsmanship and Wickenburg, now the team roping capitol of the world...we have upgraded from Dude Ranch Capitol, I guess.

Thank you for your time and for putting this up on the internet...I will gladly pay for your time and service.

I am also curious, every summer I got a pair of Porter's leather thong sandals. We would buy them at Johnson's Dry Goods Store in downtown Wickenburg. I am not sure, but I think they came in white and tan, stitched sole...all leather, real leather. Did you guys make those too? The came in a plain white shoe box and they were your school and go to town shoes, we played barefoot so as not to mess them up.

Again, thank you, Debi Killer killerfm@earthlink.net

I will post a picture when I get the saddle back : ) and when the littlest cowgirl takes her first ride.

We have pulled this build card. It is very special! Please visit nportersaddle.com and contact us with this serial number in the “Lets Start Here” form. We’re glad to help! BNP

On 6/21/2021 at 1:13 PM, BoHudson said:

I have #27241.  I would love to know more about it.  My grandfather bought it from a roper at a rodeo in Calico Rock, AR in the early 70's.