Bakyardknives

Shotgun scabbard

So I have been commissioned to make a travel scabbard so a very expensive very old custom over and under shotgun for trap and skeet. The outside is going to be wrapped in alligator no zipper open end. I have a pattern and my plan is to use 5/6 oz veg tan glue and stitch the gator to it. I’m going to roll gator over all ends. So here is my question. What would you all use as a interior lining. My plan initially was to use lamb or sheep wool but was told it will hold moisture. Don’t need that. Was told suede will mess with bluing and could tarnish or discolor the engraved pieces. Also saddle shearling will be a no no from what I have read. So I’m stumped what should I use 

I had a sheepskin slip with the wool on the inside and never had any problem, i dont think anyone will ever put a wet gun away, but sure you will find someone with opposite views

I've always heard that wool/fleece works well. Anything will hold moisture, even synthetic foam padding.  You can also use cotton flannel. I have some older cases with that for a liner. I would look at modern microfiber fabrics too. They are designed to take any dirt or grit away from the surface and prevent scratching. I'm not sure how that would work long-term without washing, but it's something you can consider.

Thanks for the info. Now anyone got a good source for a sheep wool roll or panels. 

Tandy often has some sheep skins with very short fibers, . . . like maybe 3/8 inch, . . . I've gotten them for projects, . . . and they were not that expensive as I recall.

Been a while, . . . though, . . .

There is also a synthetic sheepskin, . . . I''ve seen a few of them, . . . they would work.

May God bless,

Dwight

IMHO the best liner is molded veg tan with the smooth side toward the gun. Amount of molding to vary depending on gun travel. Or if the body (outside) has been leveled and therefore is smooth then no liner is the best. The choices boil down to intended use of the item meaning a holster (no lining) vs a transport or storage case (padded but still smooth). Maker's choice!  

Moisture is an issue if the gun will be stored in the scabbard (which it shouldn't in the first place). For transport it shouldn't be a problem.

If your gluing the gator to the rough side of the leather that would put the smooth top grain inside.  There are many holsters with the top grain as a liner.  I do like the idea of a microfiber liner though.  Good luck.

Yea the idea of the scabbard is just for attaching to the golf cart as the drive around the clay stands. Not for long term use or storage 

A scabbard to be used on the cart is going to be out doors with a gun going in and out numerous times. The problem will be inserting it in and out after being shot, dirt and other contaminants in the air are going trapped in the sheeps wool and far more difficult to get out than with smooth grain of leather. As the build up of contaminants in the wool will start acting as sand paper to the finish of the shotgun. I would make the scabbard with grain side in and with cover glued to the flesh side. Cleaning can be done with air from a compressor. This is the way I build saddle scabbards that are used for hunting horse back and so far the customers have been happy with the results  

So, always line shotgun/rifle scabbards, Treed? I was wanting to make a couple for my guns, but I was thinking of leaving the interior flesh side finished (to save on leather, eh?).

Edited by Hardrada

It depends on the usage of the scabbards and the user. I myself do one of two things for myself, flesh side out (roughout) or grain out and flesh in. My weapons are using weapons and I don't care if they get some wear marks on them holstering into and out of the scabbard with flesh side in. My using scabbards are pretty plain so there is no need for the grain side out to tool and make fancy for me. 

There are methods of slicking and sealing the flesh side so that it becomes smoother. If the customer is really picky about his weapons then I will do the rough out or add a liner. 

You can always glue 2 pieces of thinner leather flesh to flesh so you have smooth in and out and you can tool tye outside too.