I have no real need for this hat, but it looked so cool that I just had to buy the pattern and try it out. Thanks to DieselPunkRo for making some very cool and reasonably priced patterns it was very simple to cut out and put together.

IndianaJonesHat.jpg

Nice! I've always loved that hat too!

Loverly job.

However you are breaking Rule 68 A, sub clause 37. That states, you have to tell us what leather you used, what thickness, what dye, thread, stitches per inch, final finish coating . . . . all that and more

:lol: :P

I know exactly how you feel. I keep looking at Tonys hats and thinking that I want one but I don't wear hats. Good job!

Looks great.

Did you line it inside?

10 hours ago, maxdaddy said:

Looks great.

Did you line it inside?

I did not line the inside. This is my first attempt at a hat and I didn't want to complicate things. It's slightly firm, but hopefully will break in and soften up. I'm not a hat guy, so breaking in may take years.... Haha

12 hours ago, fredk said:

Loverly job.

However you are breaking Rule 68 A, sub clause 37. That states, you have to tell us what leather you used, what thickness, what dye, thread, stitches per inch, final finish coating . . . . all that and more

:lol: :P

Haha.. The leather was some oil tanned that I got in a bulk mix from Springfield. It's about 4oz. The thread is Tiger Thread .8mm in Colonial Tan. As far as the stitching, the holes are punched according to the DieselPunkRo pattern. My hand was killing me after punching so many holes, but stitched up pretty easy and straight. My next project is gonna be a bag that has substantially more panels and holes to punch. He has a lot of cool patterns, especially if you are into steampunk.

very nice job, i always loved that hat.   i just stumbled apon his patterns too.  i really like several of them. I might buy a few eventually but i have like 200 ideas now that Tandy leather is offering thier patterns for free.  There are several steampunk patterns i want to build.  I got that journal makers oil leather bundle for Springfield leather when it was on a huge sale.   I really like the 35sf of random leather they selected.

I guess it would be useful somewhere under certain circumstances, BUT ...  I am a hat guy.  I wear one all day almost every day.  The hat must fit not only the personality of the wearer, but also the weather and event.  I have never found a leather hat to be useful, as they almost always tend to be very heavy and do not breathe, as one wants with a hat that he (she) will wear for very much time at all.  Still, it looks like a fine piece of work to hang on a peg or in a display cabinet.  ... and I love the color!

2 hours ago, Sperrier said:

very nice job, i always loved that hat.   i just stumbled apon his patterns too.  i really like several of them. I might buy a few eventually but i have like 200 ideas now that Tandy leather is offering thier patterns for free.  There are several steampunk patterns i want to build.  I got that journal makers oil leather bundle for Springfield leather when it was on a huge sale.   I really like the 35sf of random leather they selected.

Where can I find the Tandy patterns for free? I checked the site and only see them for sale.

Yes, I also bought a few sets of the oil tan journal makers bundle when they were on sale, and will probably get more if/when they go on sale again because I need more leather like I need another hole in my head.......

Where can I find the Tandy patterns for free? I checked the site and only see them for sale.

https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/category/85/patterns-free-leathercraft
Apparently it is everything on the left navigation,ebooks, doodles etc.

HTH :)

Edited by mikesc

6 hours ago, Prestige593 said:

Haha.. The leather was some oil tanned that I got in a bulk mix from Springfield. It's about 4oz. The thread is Tiger Thread .8mm in Colonial Tan. . . . 

Thank you  :)

2 hours ago, mikesc said:

a lot of good info, I've been downloading for hours. 

https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/category/85/patterns-free-leathercraft
Apparently it is everything on the left navigation,ebooks, doodles etc.

HTH :)

Umm, Chuck..I didn't say this line..

a lot of good info, I've been downloading for hours. 

I've not been downloading..apart from seeing how Tandy stream video via Brightcove..Which I mentioned on the Tandy free thread.Here

Edited by mikesc

Nice! Punch a couple holes on each side and use mesh eyelets, or the head will sweat.

I enjoyed making that one. Did mine in 5 oz. Horween from Maverick leather. Waterproofed and worn everyday to work. Its held up pretty well in LA weather.

The hard part for me was sewing around the 12g wire in the brim.

FB_IMG_1571750947133.jpg

Edited by Dpalmay

Speaking of hats, I am just wondering if there would be SOME way to duplicate this hat in leather:

I'm wanting to do this for a Halloween costume. The original is obviously felt, and the crown is just one piece. If you were doing it in leather, I think the brim and crown would have to be separate pieces, but wondering if a rounded crown like that would be possible, if you moulded the leather around a form.

Scarecrow of Romney Marsh.png

Edited by Sheilajeanne

very thin belly leather wet moulded over a ball shaped buck. was done in ages past. you'd need a very solid buck tho, maybe an old leather soccer football

Or I could stick it over my head, and put a tuque over top... :yeah:

Any of you old farts remember what movie the photo is from?  :popcorn:

Edited by Sheilajeanne

On 10/23/2019 at 10:01 PM, Sheilajeanne said:

Any of you old farts remember what movie the photo is from?  :popcorn:

On 10/23/2019 at 4:11 PM, Sheilajeanne said:

Scarecrow of Romney Marsh.png

The film had three names. 1. The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh,   2. Dr. Syn   and  3. Dr. Syn, the Scarecrow of Romney Marsh

Wow, forgot all about this post!! Been dumpster diving, have you Fred? :lol:

It was a great movie, and it's almost impossible to get it on DVD, unless you buy a bootleg copy, or are willing to fork over around $400 for an original. I tried buying a bootleg copy, then found it would be over $21 just for shipping, plus it wouldn't have subtitles, something I really need due to my hearing impairment. I can get a lot of stuff by lipreading, but unfortunately, the Scarecrow's mask prevents that, plus he disguises his voice,  making him even harder to understand. (I know this because the movie is available on YouTube.)

I first saw it as a kid when it originally aired as a 3 part movie on The Wonderful World of Disney.  It stars Patrick McGoohan, who was a very excellent actor. I don't remember many things I saw on TV at that age. That should tell you just what a good movie it was! It was rather scary in parts, which is probably why it isn't as popular as the syrupy-sweet stuff Disney usually produces, then sells on DVDs, and now on their new Disney channel. 

Edited by Sheilajeanne

4 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Wow, forgot all about this post!! Been dumpster diving, have you Fred? :lol:

It was a great movie, and it's almost impossible to get it on DVD, unless you buy a bootleg copy, or are willing to fork over around $400 for an original. I tried buying a bootleg copy, then found it would be over $21 just for shipping, plus it wouldn't have subtitles, something I really need due to my hearing impairment. I can get a lot of stuff by lipreading, but unfortunately, the Scarecrow's mask prevents that, plus he disguises his voice,  making him even harder to understand. (I know this because the movie is available on YouTube.)

I first saw it as a kid when it originally aired as a 3 part movie on The Wonderful World of Disney.  It stars Patrick McGoohan, who was a very excellent actor. I don't remember many things I saw on TV at that age. That should tell you just what a good movie it was! It was rather scary in parts, which is probably why it isn't as popular as the syrupy-sweet stuff Disney usually produces, then sells on DVDs, and now on their new Disney channel. 

https://www.classicmoviereel.com/drsyndvd.html?msclkid=fca728af849510c5694d49767a4f1ec2

Chuck, this is a copy of the original, and does not include the subtitles. By the time you've converted to Canadian dollars, and added the shipping, which is $21 for a DVD,  it was costing close to $40 Canadian.  :unsure:

Yeah, tried this already, from another distributor... :(

Thanks for checking it out, anyway! 

Edited by Sheilajeanne