Tyra

SD card case, what do I need?

Hi!

So for months I've been debating if I would make the step to buy some leather-craft tools. I always wanted to make some SD memory cases for my friends and family but never really knew if it was something for me. Anyway, I'm gonna try it!

I've made a list of tools that I think (Please correct me) are necessary/handy to complete this project.

I don't want to buy too much, as I don't know if this will be something I'm gonna keep doing, but I also don't want to buy some crappy tools. Just some decent tools that get the job done.

This is the SD case that I want to make:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0QpK3vnXRK/

These are the tools I think I need for this project:

1. Edger tool/beveller
  2. Rotary cutter (Can I use a Utility knife?)
  3. Burnishing Slicker
  4. Leather Sewing Thread
  5. Sewing Needle
  6. Leather (??)
  7. Stitching awl

My questions:

1. Is this list complete or do I need to add/remove/change something?
  2. I want the same 'look' (aka thickness/color etc) as the example above. Can you recommend me some (decent) leather?

Thanks a ton!

Schermafbeelding 2019-08-23 om 21.21.58.png

Hello Tyra, and welcome to the forum. Here are a few comments for you -

Have a look at YouTube videos on making wallets; the methods & principles will be the same as for your project. There are lots of videos, watch as many as you have the stamina for and you'll start to see how things are done.

You'll be using thinner leather, say 1,5 to 1,8mm thick, so you should get a smaller sized edge beveller, size 0 or size 1, and learn how to sharpen it. Again there are YT videos about this

As you will be cutting thin leather, and straight lines, a rotary cutter is fine, but you could use a utility knife if you already have one, and save a bit of money

You will need something to mark the line of stitching, and the spacing of the holes. I got a divider from a secondhand stall, about £2-50, say just over $3. Set it to 2 or 3mm; put one point on the edge of the leather, and mark the line with the other point

there are two options for making the holes - mark the position with a rotary stitch marking wheel then make the actual holes with an awl. Or use a stitching chisel which both makes the holes and sets the spacing. In theory a stitching chisel means you do not need an awl, but it's always useful to have one

Assembling the pieces for sewing is easier if you glue them in place first with contact glue

A block of beeswax is cheap and used to wax the thread, burnish the edges, and other odd jobs in leatherwork

A steel ruler or similar straight edge is used to cut the pieces

Search YT for videos on leather working tools for beginners, there are several, and as you will see, each one is slightly different

I assume you are American. Rocky mountain Leather supply has most of the things you need. At the moment they have an awl on offer at $16-99. As far as I can tell from the pictures it looks pretty good, and good value https://www.rmleathersupply.com

for sewing leather you almost always use a two needle method called the saddle stitch, find it on YT. RMLS have a mixed pack of John James needles (which are the best) and will cope with all you want to start with

Before you go straight into your wallets & cases you could try making something simple from cheaper leather, like key fobs. That will get you used to how the tools & materials work

Oh yes, I nearly forgot. You'll need a cutting mat; the usual self - healing cutting mat from a craft or hobby store. Get the biggest you can manage

Edited by zuludog

Hi, Tyra,

If I were attempting that project this is what I'd use:

• Kyoshin Elle chisels: get the 3 mm version: a 2-prong, and a 6-prong should be the best options if you're not buying the whole set.
  • KS diamond awl: the small one matches the 3 mm chisels.
  • Economy poly mallet: should be an OK mallet.
  • KS Pro Edger: get either the #1 or #2. You might find edgers cheaper elsewhere but these come with a rod and two sheets of sharpening paper already.
  • Ritza "Tiger" thread: excellent German-made thread: very strong and comes already waxed—but not overwaxed like one I got from Tandy that waxed the heck out of my hands. Choose whichever colour best matches the leather you choose.
  • Needles: I use #4 because I mostly work with very fine thread (Tiger 0.6 mm), and because I like to save on thread (although once I took to piercing the thread BEFORE passing it through the needle's eye, the length of the needle no longer matters; thus, you could get #2 or #0).
  • A scratch awl (alas, the cheapest that Rocky Mountain Leather carries is about 8 times more expensive than the basic model Tandy sells, which is all you'd need—so much for my shopping list that was meant to save you money on shipping and handling).
  • Wing dividers to mark your stitch line (sadly, Rocky Mountain Leather is all out of the economy version, but these should be OK.
  • Leather to your taste. RML carries all kinds of types and colours, they sell it by the square foot, and they'll split it to your preferred weight for free—what's not to like? (NO, I don't work for them, LOL).

You could probably get away with a fork (free assuming you use a fork to eat with) for spacing and a nail (free if you have some laying around). You could get some needles (~3 bucks) from the leather section at Joanne Fabric or Hobby Lobby. Thread (5 bucks for 300 ft) can be had from Amazon for the cheap Chinese hand sewing thread. You could get some thread from the leather section at the hobby store but it is (5 bucks). The leather (~30 bucks) can be had from the hobby store too depending on which one you have; I've seen leather panels, remnants and a small piece offered depending on the store. It won't be great leather but it'll be relatively inexpensive.

All of this should run you about 50 bucks with shipping.

It sounds like you want to make a few of these at least so getting a shoulder of leather (about $50 + shipping) is likely more economical than Hobby Lobby leather. You get more and better leather but you pay a little more.

There are so many ways you could go with this really...

I wanted to dodge spending 100 bucks on a knife sheath and make my own and several thousand dollars later I have a decent little leather shop and an awesome hobby that I plan on using as a retirement gig when the time comes. The slope gets slippery. Need and want vary rather greatly in this pursuit.

Best of luck, hope this helps, and post pics. Be prepared to make some ugly stuff at first, we all do, its a rite of passage almost.

On 8/24/2019 at 3:16 PM, zuludog said:

Hello Tyra, and welcome to the forum. Here are a few comments for you -

Have a look at YouTube videos on making wallets; the methods & principles will be the same as for your project. There are lots of videos, watch as many as you have the stamina for and you'll start to see how things are done.

You'll be using thinner leather, say 1,5 to 1,8mm thick, so you should get a smaller sized edge beveller, size 0 or size 1, and learn how to sharpen it. Again there are YT videos about this

As you will be cutting thin leather, and straight lines, a rotary cutter is fine, but you could use a utility knife if you already have one, and save a bit of money

You will need something to mark the line of stitching, and the spacing of the holes. I got a divider from a secondhand stall, about £2-50, say just over $3. Set it to 2 or 3mm; put one point on the edge of the leather, and mark the line with the other point

there are two options for making the holes - mark the position with a rotary stitch marking wheel then make the actual holes with an awl. Or use a stitching chisel which both makes the holes and sets the spacing. In theory a stitching chisel means you do not need an awl, but it's always useful to have one

Assembling the pieces for sewing is easier if you glue them in place first with contact glue

A block of beeswax is cheap and used to wax the thread, burnish the edges, and other odd jobs in leatherwork

Search YT for videos on leather working tools for beginners, there are several, and as you will see, each one is slightly different

I assume you are American. Rocky mountain Leather supply has most of the things you need. At the moment they have an awl on offer at $16-99. As far as I can tell from the pictures it looks pretty good, and good value https://www.rmleathersupply.com

for sewing leather you almost always use a two needle method called the saddle stitch, find it on YT. RMLS have a mixed pack of John James needles (which are the best) and will cope with all you want to start with

Before you go straight into your wallets & cases you could try making something simple from cheaper leather, like key fobs. That will get you used to how the tools & materials work

Oh yes, I nearly forgot. You'll need a cutting mat; the usual self - healing cutting mat from a craft or hobby store. Get the biggest you can manage

Hey thanks! I feel welcome here already!

Definitely gonna watch some more video's. Beside being very informative, they are also very relaxing to look at haha!

Thank you so much for all the information! I'm probably gonna buy my tools in the next couple of days, can't wait!

I'm from Belgium btw haha :)  But don't really mind buying from RML, as it looks like everyone loves their stuff. And I can't seem to find good stores in Belgium anyway.

Thanks again!!

15 hours ago, Hardrada said:

Hi, Tyra,

If I were attempting that project this is what I'd use:

• Kyoshin Elle chisels: get the 3 mm version: a 2-prong, and a 6-prong should be the best options if you're not buying the whole set.
  • KS diamond awl: the small one matches the 3 mm chisels.
  • Economy poly mallet: should be an OK mallet.
  • KS Pro Edger: get either the #1 or #2. You might find edgers cheaper elsewhere but these come with a rod and two sheets of sharpening paper already.
  • Ritza "Tiger" thread: excellent German-made thread: very strong and comes already waxed—but not overwaxed like one I got from Tandy that waxed the heck out of my hands. Choose whichever colour best matches the leather you choose.
  • Needles: I use #4 because I mostly work with very fine thread (Tiger 0.6 mm), and because I like to save on thread (although once I took to piercing the thread BEFORE passing it through the needle's eye, the length of the needle no longer matters; thus, you could get #2 or #0).
  • A scratch awl (alas, the cheapest that Rocky Mountain Leather carries is about 8 times more expensive than the basic model Tandy sells, which is all you'd need—so much for my shopping list that was meant to save you money on shipping and handling).
  • Wing dividers to mark your stitch line (sadly, Rocky Mountain Leather is all out of the economy version, but these should be OK.
  • Leather to your taste. RML carries all kinds of types and colours, they sell it by the square foot, and they'll split it to your preferred weight for free—what's not to like? (NO, I don't work for them, LOL).

Thank you so much for all the links! Very handy as I'm new to all of this and there is so much to choose from!

About the Scratch Awl; can't I use the wing divider for this? Or am I seeing it wrong?

Thanks again!!

14 hours ago, battlemunky said:

You could probably get away with a fork (free assuming you use a fork to eat with) for spacing and a nail (free if you have some laying around). You could get some needles (~3 bucks) from the leather section at Joanne Fabric or Hobby Lobby. Thread (5 bucks for 300 ft) can be had from Amazon for the cheap Chinese hand sewing thread. You could get some thread from the leather section at the hobby store but it is (5 bucks). The leather (~30 bucks) can be had from the hobby store too depending on which one you have; I've seen leather panels, remnants and a small piece offered depending on the store. It won't be great leather but it'll be relatively inexpensive.

All of this should run you about 50 bucks with shipping.

It sounds like you want to make a few of these at least so getting a shoulder of leather (about $50 + shipping) is likely more economical than Hobby Lobby leather. You get more and better leather but you pay a little more.

There are so many ways you could go with this really...

I wanted to dodge spending 100 bucks on a knife sheath and make my own and several thousand dollars later I have a decent little leather shop and an awesome hobby that I plan on using as a retirement gig when the time comes. The slope gets slippery. Need and want vary rather greatly in this pursuit.

Best of luck, hope this helps, and post pics. Be prepared to make some ugly stuff at first, we all do, its a rite of passage almost.

Thanks for the tips! I saw your comment and was just about to get rid of on old journal when I realized that the cover is from leather lol.

So I took a nail, fork and some stuff I had laying around and tried to make one, just to see if I liked it. Well, I'm hooked!! lol. Doesn't look like much but loved every minute of it! 

Love your story, hope it works all out! Sounds like an awesome idea :) 

Thanks again!

Schermafbeelding 2019-08-25 om 22.06.24.png

12 minutes ago, Tyra said:

Thank you so much for all the links! Very handy as I'm new to all of this and there is so much to choose from!

About the Scratch Awl; can't I use the wing divider for this? Or am I seeing it wrong?

Thanks again!!

Aye, you could, but it might be awkward. Up to you. In a pinch, any pointy (but not very sharp) thing would do: say, a straightened paper clip or something from the kitchen. Some leathers mark easier than others. I've worked with the Badalassi Minerva veg tan from RML and I have to be extra careful as even my very short nails can mark it. English kip or chrome tan deerskin, I really have to press on the awl to mark it well enough.

Hehehe, the mention of the fork reminded me of this one video: Look, Ma: no tools! :P

1 hour ago, Hardrada said:

Aye, you could, but it might be awkward. Up to you. In a pinch, any pointy (but not very sharp) thing would do: say, a straightened paper clip or something from the kitchen. Some leathers mark easier than others. I've worked with the Badalassi Minerva veg tan from RML and I have to be extra careful as even my very short nails can mark it. English kip or chrome tan deerskin, I really have to press on the awl to mark it well enough.

Hehehe, the mention of the fork reminded me of this one video: Look, Ma: no tools! :P

Ahhh okay I see! Well guess I'll see how much my basket's value is after adding the most important tools, then I'll decide if I need a Scratch Awl haha :rolleyes:

And damn lol. That looks sick even with the tools that he used haha!

For a first thing, that look awesome, especially considering you went at it with the bare minimums. Used leather, a fork, a nail....doesn't get much more pure than that :) I'm glad that you liked it, now go get some good tools and start making things of beauty!

Well done for making something so soon, and with basic tools

Soon after I became interested in leatherwork I went on a beginners course, and it was very good, I probably learned as much in that course than many, many videos - there's nothing like talking to real people!

I have found this company in Brussells - NIYONA. They mostly sell finished goods but they also have training courses, from beginners to advanced

I made my scratch awl from an axle off my son's broken toy car, glued into an old file handle, and sharpened on an oilstone

I use a vegetable peeling knife as a leather trimming knife, but you will need to be able to get it very sharp

Here are some suppliers. You don't have to buy from them, but you will see the sort of things that are available. And as you watch videos and follow Threads on this forum you will learn more & more

www.leatherhouse.eu   www.goodsjapan.com   www.identityleathercraft.com  www.tandyleather.com www.abbeyengland.com

There are lots of videos about leather, but I think we all agree that two of the best channels are by Ian Atkinson and Nigel Armitage

Remember that the same techniques of planning, pattern making, sewing, burnishing, etc. are used on all leather items - bags, belts, pouches, & wallets

Edited by zuludog

12 hours ago, battlemunky said:

For a first thing, that look awesome, especially considering you went at it with the bare minimums. Used leather, a fork, a nail....doesn't get much more pure than that :) I'm glad that you liked it, now go get some good tools and start making things of beauty!

Thanks! :) 

One more question (SORRAY), do you think this a good leather to start with (I've read that Buttero is popular), for SD cases and/or wallets? https://www.rmleathersupply.com/collections/vegetable-tanned/products/buttero-veg-tanned-leather-3oz-1-2mm-made-in-italy?variant=13786028867693

I was thinking of buying 2Square feet as I should be able to get a couple of cases/wallets out of that I think? Or should I go for a single shoulder?

Also, should I split this leather or can I just keep the 1,2mm thickness? In other words, what is the most used thickness for projects like cases and wallets?

2 hours ago, zuludog said:

Well done for making something so soon, and with basic tools

Soon after I became interested in leatherwork I went on a beginners course, and it was very good, I probably learned as much in that course than many, many videos - there's nothing like talking to real people!

I have found this company in Brussells - NIYONA. They mostly sell finished goods but they also have training courses, from beginners to advanced

I made my scratch awl from an axle off my son's broken toy car, glued into an old file handle, and sharpened on an oilstone

I use a vegetable peeling knife as a leather trimming knife, but you will need to be able to get it very sharp

Here are some suppliers. You don't have to buy from them, but you will see the sort of things that are available. And as you watch videos and follow Threads on this forum you will learn more & more

www.leatherhouse.eu   www.goodsjapan.com   www.identityleathercraft.com  www.tandyleather.com www.abbeyengland.com

There are lots of videos about leather, but I think we all agree that two of the best channels are by Ian Atkinson and Nigel Armitage

Remember that the same techniques of planning, pattern making, sewing, burnishing, etc. are used on all leather items - bags, belts, pouches, & wallets

Hey thanks a ton! :)

Thats actually not a bad idea. Definitely gonna look into this. Brussels isn't that far away!

Thanks for all the links! Still not sure where I'm going to buy from haha, choices choices choices

One more question (Asked @Battlemunky too, but can't hurt to get some more opinions!), do you think this a good leather to start with (I've read that Buttero is popular), for SD cases and/or wallets? https://www.rmleathersupply.com/collections/vegetable-tanned/products/buttero-veg-tanned-leather-3oz-1-2mm-made-in-italy?variant=13786028867693

I was thinking of buying 2Square feet as I should be able to get a couple of cases/wallets out of that I think? Or should I go for a single shoulder?

Also, should I split this leather or can I just keep the 1,2mm thickness? In other words, what is the most used thickness for projects like cases and wallets?

Thanks again for all the info!

A Alternative is to buy a cheap far eastern set of tools from which you can make most things whilst you learn the skills, then add to it with better tools when you understand the shortcomming of the low cost ones, you can spend a lot buying say a french style pricking iron and break the prong the first time you use it , whilst the low cost one in the kit is slightly different but far stronger, both give really good results

With this kit below the only extra thing would be a good diamond awl to add to it

A shoulder of veg tan leather would give you loads of practice or on ebay you can buy scraps of veg tan to practice on at very low cost

see

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/61PC-Leather-Craft-Punch-Hand-Tools-Stitching-Carving-Working-Sewing-Thread/303095932416?hash=item4691ece600:g:EbAAAOSwPBJdY3bD

Good luck and Holland i understand has plenty of leather suppliers just like the UK, and there is a Tandy shop in Spain which will deliver in the EU look up tandyleather.eu

TYRA - I make mostly knife sheaths and belts from 3 to 3,5mm thick vegetable tanned leather, and this would not be suitable for wallets. Not sure what I would use if I did want to make a wallet, so I would need to ask for advice as well, either here or from the supplier

I have heard that this is a reliable supplier of leather, though I haven't used them myself; they ship all over Europe  https://buyleatheronline.com

Use the Suppliers!  They will know their products, both tools and leather, (that's their job!) so contact them and ask their advice. For leather try leatherhouse and buyleatheronline

Have a look at this video - 'How to Make a Simple Hand Made Wallet' by Nigel Armitage  He discusses the thickness and types of leather, as well as making wallets

Edited by zuludog

5 hours ago, chrisash said:

A Alternative is to buy a cheap far eastern set of tools from which you can make most things whilst you learn the skills, then add to it with better tools when you understand the shortcomming of the low cost ones, you can spend a lot buying say a french style pricking iron and break the prong the first time you use it , whilst the low cost one in the kit is slightly different but far stronger, both give really good results

With this kit below the only extra thing would be a good diamond awl to add to it

A shoulder of veg tan leather would give you loads of practice or on ebay you can buy scraps of veg tan to practice on at very low cost

see

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/61PC-Leather-Craft-Punch-Hand-Tools-Stitching-Carving-Working-Sewing-Thread/303095932416?hash=item4691ece600:g:EbAAAOSwPBJdY3bD

Good luck and Holland i understand has plenty of leather suppliers just like the UK, and there is a Tandy shop in Spain which will deliver in the EU look up tandyleather.eu

Ahhh I see! Thanks for all the info, gonna have a look later this evening! B)

Holland is much more close to me, so that would be a great option indeed!

4 hours ago, zuludog said:

TYRA - I make mostly knife sheaths and belts from 3 to 3,5mm thick vegetable tanned leather, and this would not be suitable for wallets. Not sure what I would use if I did want to make a wallet, so I would need to ask for advice as well, either here or from the supplier

I have heard that this is a reliable supplier of leather, though I haven't used them myself; they ship all over Europe  https://buyleatheronline.com

Use the Suppliers!  They will know their products, both tools and leather, (that's their job!) so contact them and ask their advice. For leather try leatherhouse and buyleatheronline

Have a look at this video - 'How to Make a Simple Hand Made Wallet' by Nigel Armitage  He discusses the thickness and types of leather, as well as making wallets

I see! Did some more research myself and 2-3oz gets recommended a lot for wallets, so probably gonna go with the 3oz one as it doesn't need splitting. 

And thanks for the recommendation! Watching the video right now B)

Edited by Tyra

For far Eastern, stick with goodsjapan.com. Do not buy Chinese: it's crap. I can see a bit of a point behind the logic of not wanting to invest heavily when you're either starting out or trying it out to see if you like it, but having a tool break right off the bat is utterly frustrating and can actually steer you away from the craft. goodsjapan.com has both good prices and good stuff that is made in Japan. I got a couple of Seiwa chisels from them and now I regret I didn't get the 3 mm ones from them too: they're very good quality. I'm about to order from them again, this time a Japanese-style skiving knife, a diamond awl, and the famous Tokonole burnishing agent.

Personally, I'd stay away from starter kits: in addition to poor quality if they're made in China, they come with a number of tools you'll probably never use. I did buy a sewing kit from Tandy (OK quality) and the pricking wheel sits forgotten in the case: I don't use it.

31 minutes ago, Tyra said:

Ahhh I see! Thanks for all the info, gonna have a look later this evening! B)

Holland is much more close to me, so that would be a great option indeed!

I see! Did some more research myself and 2-3oz gets recommended a lot for wallets, so probably gonna go with the 3oz one as it doesn't need splitting. 

And thanks for the recommendation! Watching the video right now B)

I found 3 oz to be too thick for wallets. You'll need to skive it. See for yourself: the wallet on the left is a prototype, so please ignore it; the one on the right was made with RML's Badalassi Minerva, 3 oz. You can see how thick it is with four layers: it's basically 12 oz: not easy to punch holes through. Next time, I'm thinking of ordering the same leather but split to 2 oz or even 1.5 oz. The good thing about RML is that they will split to your desired weight for free.

Ugly_skiving--05.jpg

Edited by Hardrada

I use 3oz for wallets all the time. They are a bit bulkier but they will likely outlast the carrier of said wallet. I'd say 3 oz is fine but wouldn't go much over. Most leather in that range is either 2/3 oz or 3/4 oz. so if you can opt for it, 2/3 oz would maybe be better than 3/4 but in my opinion 3/4 would be fine. You likely won't be able to get just 3 oz or 2 oz or 4 oz, it'll have some variation.

That Buttero is beautiful but if you can score some closer or reasonably shipped remnants I'd opt for it.

Hey, again, thanks for all the info Hardrada/battlemunky!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I've bought everything that I need (leather and tools)!

Going on a vacation now and everything should arrive next month. Can't wait!

Thanks for all the info everyone! Big help!

Good on ya! Post up your haul and any stuff you make with it once it arrives :-)

Have a good vacation @Tyra!

13 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

Good on ya! Post up your haul and any stuff you make with it once it arrives :-)

Have a good vacation @Tyra!

Definitely! Thanks :) 

You mean you can afford both tools and a Vacation? obviously not buying enough tools or machines

1 hour ago, chrisash said:

You mean you can afford both tools and a Vacation? obviously not buying enough tools or machines

Haha, bought the tools I needed to complete my first little project. If it turns out I wanna keep doing this, I'll upgrade soon enough :)