RockyAussie

How to get your products to sell well

On 8/27/2019 at 4:24 AM, robs456 said:

Then, knowing the above, there's the question of HOW and WHERE to market to the selected niche/demography.

Hi @robs456, sorry for taking this long to reply to you, its been a busy end of month for me. I have read your outline of thoughts a few times and I have to say that there is a lot of contradictions within it that leave me to suggest a different strategy than to what you are stating you want. I said above and underlined it

On 8/24/2019 at 8:22 PM, RockyAussie said:

1.       I established my best markets to target.

This is what you need to do for YOU.

You have gone into shops and asked

On 8/26/2019 at 4:05 AM, robs456 said:

This is where I am now. Had a few meetings but nothing's came out of them. For me there's been no such thing as a discussion, more like "What do you have?...No, don't want it..." and I'm like "What you want then? I'm can make whatever." and they go "Make something and email us a pic and we'll go from there" and I'm like "F dat"...
Advice from anyone on how to deal with small to medium size shops/companies would be appreciated.

I think that that may have been the best result and here I will say why I believe so.

I asked you why a person would buy Rob5? Your answer told me a lot of different things for instance you said " Did do a lot of cardholders but they're getting so boring to make now, except if I can make an artwork out of them like the 'samurai' ones on my insta...

and " Though they tend to buy the 'typical Swedish things' which are not what I'd even like to do"

and "Thing is at the moment I'm at the mindset that I don't WANT to scale up"

Your answer told me that you did not really want to sell into those shops. You want people to buy the product that you want to make and until the product becomes boring to make. Thank God that for you and them it is not up and going.

From what you say and what can be seen in your insta you have within you an artist streak that needs to be satisfied and that needs to find a way to come out and earn you money and reputation as well.

I will point out that the brand Rob5 looks fine but you are mostly not ever going to be get many sales from it if you and your work/art achievements are not seen and heard about. You no doubt have heard of the Swedish band ABBA but many here would still be unfamiliar with a Swedish band called SABATON. Yeah they are pretty popular there and doing tours in the USA next month I believe. At any rate bands more than ever in this digital age would struggle getting any royalties in comparison to the bands of years back. Selling products online and along with them as they tour is now more of an important part of their income. Having light and easy to haul around products would no doubt be an important consideration but also products that can bring them a high return for their part. Your guitar straps and wristbands branded Rob5 at this stage won't work but if there were a custom made guitar strap made especially for them (plectrum recess etc) it could work if done something like this. On the back you have your Rob5 brand. All of the group put their signatures on the back and sometime during the concert they advise that this custom made guitar strap made by the internationally recognised leather artisan Rob5 will be sold off. (You are on this world wide forum and I and a few can recognise this :thumbsup:)This should be a big money spinner for them and worth some serious consideration. A clicker press pumping out a few hundred simple leather wristbands with their brand on should be a fairly simple sale as well I think. This would then be a very easy sale to other groups if you wanted more.

Check this terrible wristband link https://store.sabaton.net/product/accessories/wristbands/silver-logo-wristband/

and this -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabaton_(band)

My dinners ready I've just been informed so I will have to get back with some more detail tomorrow. 

Selling is often best achieved if you can think of it more like a collaboration in getting products sold instead of here is my product I want your money.   The first thing in sales is that they need to like you and then become comfortable with you. Normally a nod and a general acknowledgement smile works for me to start with. If you are not comfortable with selling yourself and you find that people don't relax quickly after meeting with you than there is a fairly easy answer to that as well. I will touch on this a bit later.

@robs456 But RockyAussies suggestion with the wrist band involves scale, they will want a manufacturer  who has he the ability  to produce  1000's which IMO is good., but for you not so good perhaps. You seem averse to volume production methods, as if it detracts from your "art". Maybe it does I am not qualified to say, but only you can resolve that dilemma.

Volume doesnt have to mean shoddy and sh*t. 

A good few years ago we had a tv program called the troubleshooter, which was about a businessman  Sir John Harvey-Jones who visited companies in trouble and tried to analyze where they had basically gone wrong

One company you might have heard of was Morgan sports cars, when he visited he found a number of things that could be done different, but the point on one item was, They used hand beaten mudguards running sides and other parts , because that was the morgan way, very expensive way at that, and the management stated "that's what the customers pay for tradition". His reply was that, "the customer did not really give a damn about how it was made just that it was made well and looked like morgan cars should look to their fans". all these hand made parts could be pressed out at a massive saving  in labour and time.

He also found that they brought in all their engines and gearboxes from Ford, and once the chassis was made the engine and gearbox was the first things to be installed, with car completion many weeks down the line, his suggestion as long as it does not hinder production buy and install the expensive items last and save cash-flow

It may well be the same with hand stitching does anyone really care about the difference between hand and machine sewing

It may well be the same with hand stitching does anyone really care about the difference between hand and machine sewing

Ask Hérmes and LVMH, who say that they hand sew, and then allow French TV to make documentaries inside their ateliers ( which I have ) that show them machine sewing almost everything, including some parts of things that they market as entirely handsewn.. and for which "handsewen" items, ( sacs)  they charge as much as you can buy a house for.

12 minutes ago, mikesc said:

Ask Hérmes and LVMH, who say that they hand sew, and then allow French TV to make documentaries inside their ateliers ( which I have ) that show them machine sewing almost everything, including some parts of things that they market as entirely handsewn.. and for which "handsewen" items, ( sacs)  they charge as much as you can buy a house for.

I can remember reading a long time ago, about luxury brands such as LVMH, that their reputation and brand was built on their custom ranges for the european elite at the turn of the last century. Ranges which, if I am not mistaken, are still commissioned today. They don't make any real money from these expensive commissions ( not withstanding the value of their various Royal warrants), the real money is in the lowest market segment they serve  (which has the highest volumes with the greatest margins) and is also includes the customer who pays for the image associated with the brand, rather than their appreciation or understanding of real quality.

If someone wants to give £1.5-2k for a mass produced (relatively) handbag that has mainly canvas..... "monogrammed canvas and grained leather" as its main material, then thats up to them, but the only value I personally see in that is the "bragging" rights which infer that I may have somehow arrived and become a member of the cafe set.

That's the beauty of a good brand, it still carries the good name sometimes far after its dropped its high quality standards, and others using modern methods produce higher quality in competition, but buyers are still preferring the established brand

2 hours ago, Lfrog said:

If someone wants to give £1.5-2k

That is the cheapo end of what they do..I'm talking about the Hérmes sacs at over €8k* going upto €100k - €200K..and then some people have extra "bling" added so they can fetch far far more. LV are not quite so extreme with their leather prices, but even so €1.5-2K is the really bottom end of their market..( which yes, they do make a lot of money on ) that is all machine sewn, my wife has a few LV bought when we were based in Cannes from their shop, ( years ago now, but even so were between €5k and €10k ) and a couple of Hérmes which were "more expensive"..comes from living ( at that time ) 50 metres from the Hérmes boutique on the corner of la Croisette and Rue Cdt André. Very very well finished from both brands, but even so..At that time she was in real estate, with an agency in Cannes and another in Nice and I was importing Levi jeans and Harley gear. Luxury brand leather was part of the image that one had to project to deal with very rich clients. There is still "silly money" in a lot of places, few of the rich have become poorer, which is why producing for the luxury end of the market is a better bet, and easier to get started in, than attempting to compete with the mass market stuff that comes out of various Asian countries and the Indian sub continent.People tend not to be too concerned about the price they pay for well made high quality exclusive things..Be it, leather goods, "designer" fashion items and apparel, luxury Villas or apartments ( or not so luxury but in "the right addresses".avec belle vue mer, ou avec vue sur la tour Eiffel etc ) , luxury vehicles  ( and their accessories and interiors ) artwork, sculpture,  high end décors etc.

I said it an a previous thread,( about "craftsmen" ) and this is Brian's thread, his techniques and experience, and experiences etc, are more applicable than mine for almost everyone, but making what people want, and in some cases crave, or dream of, or make it "really special" , unique, exclusive, is far more lucrative than making what everyone else is making..and as Brian suggested in his last post , think "laterally" about how to get an "in"..

It is also about hard work, and inventiveness, unless you get very lucky..or "discovered" by the jet set.

*https://www.businessinsider.com/hermes-birkin-bag-realreal-handbag-expert-so-expensive-2019-6?IR=T

Hérmes and LVMH stuff is still very high quality, but IMO , not worth the prices, but, worth is in the eye of the beholder, a Picasso scribble on a napkin can buy a nice apartment in Cannes ( but maybe not with "vue sur la mer" )..value is relative..what would you pay for a glass of water in the desert, or an extra 5 minutes with your loved ones if this was your last hour.

Edited by mikesc

12 hours ago, Lfrog said:

@robs456 But RockyAussies suggestion with the wrist band involves scale, they will want a manufacturer  who has he the ability  to produce  1000's which IMO is good., but for you not so good perhaps. You seem averse to volume production methods, as if it detracts from your "art". Maybe it does I am not qualified to say, but only you can resolve that dilemma.

Volume doesnt have to mean shoddy and sh*t. 

I do see that often on here and elsewhere where volume production is somehow associated with shoddy workmanship. That is often true but very often not as well. I will say that you could pick out anyone of a hundred belts I make in a batch and put it alongside 99% of any other makers belt and mine will be as good if not better. It is what you do that matters. 

Your first point that involves scale is correct as well but Rob also said " If money starts pouring in that mindset might change". If I had to put my money one way or the other I think most would try, if the money is pouring in. I am sure that it would not be difficult to get the product done elsewhere in Sweden to his design specs if it toooo boring.:whistle:

I am going to say that my experience with sales has generally been very good and for several reasons I can think of like homework, trust and creditability,and working with customers in a collaborative and helpful way. I like to help people where and whenever I can and that often comes back to make the other reasons that much easier.

For Rob tackling something like the band Sabaton may sound a high challenge or not:dunno:. If it does I can suggest how helping others can make this easier. Many other artists could use help in getting their products in front of the public and thereby enhancing their name/brand. By starting off a combined artist promotion group like (Swedish artists international promotions) (Made in Sweden artists collaboration) and inviting some artists to join and and collectively promote each other you then have an advantage in introducing yourself to other prospective customers. The letter head from Swedish artists promotions to a prospective customer and particularly another Swedish artist (The band) should at least warrant a read. I am not going to give you the words but you should see where and how this can help I think.

In my own experience I will add that quite a few of my large (multi millionaire)customers work collaboratively together and make deals work to each other advantage VERY well. They HELP each other.

The power of the brand is something I have been addressing here and something that can take many years to achieve. Many as some have pointed out earlier have done it through celebrities. Many of us wonder why if we make an excellent product that it will not sell for anything near the same price range. Truth is I think that the marketing of the brand influences perhaps more than 80% of the sale. This following is an example that happened to me many years ago now. I had this wealthy customer from Hong Kong that every year or so would drop in and get me to make a wallet or something or other. Quintin Tz........ though wealthy was still fairly young (20-25ish) and this time wanted one of the briefcases I made as in this picture below. It has a nice Franzen single combination fitting I imported from Germany I think and the pine timber and ply shell I made as well.The lining was mainly done with a golden tight nap deer skin suede. H

inges imported from Spain.

DCP_05401.JPG

IMGP6872_resize.JPG

IMGP6871_resize.JPG

IMGP6873_resize.JPG

Now as nice as the bag was the price was not all that inexpensive. In today's terms probably about $2000 au. At the time when Quintin came to pick up his briefcase he noticed that I was making some ostrich purses for the brand Bally and and had a lot of their little metal badges that had to go onto each product. He asked me how much would it cost extra to have one of these badges put onto his briefcase. I said that is not possible as I don't make these briefcases for them. He showed me that he was wearing Bally shoes and that he would be happy to pay plenty if I would as he loved the Bally brand. He offered me in the end more than what I was charging for the whole briefcase. I had to decline of course but if he was not flying out that day I might have been able to organise it I guess. I have to say that for all of my hard work and craftsmanship that little badge was worth more to him.:unsure:. Still hurts a bit. 

I will finish of tonight by saying that as great a leather work artisan you can become, without building a recognised brand you can not expect to sell your products for even 1/2 the price or sometimes a 1/4. 

I am saying this as it is apparent to me that many good people on here work really hard at trying to become an expert leather worker thinking that their good work alone will somehow lead on to good sales.

No matter whether you are a fan of of Nigel, Newa or Nitz without the marketing you are no................

:wave:

@RockyAussie

So we only really have the power of perceived value, we cant hide behind a brand the product has to stand up for itself.

I watched a youtube video of a company which gives a 100 year warranty on their product. Made from mexican chrome tanned leather, the material may not be as good as many use here but I doubt many here would offer that type of warranty, a smart marketing move, he knows that x% will return within x number of years and builds that into his margin. But it reinforces his belief in how "rugged" his product is, and his customer has assurance as to the products lifespan (oh and he uses crocodiles in one of his promotion videos.)

Edited by Lfrog
email spelt incorrectly.

35 minutes ago, Lfrog said:

. . . I watched a youtube video of a company which gives a 100 year warranty on their product. Made from mexican chrome tanned leather, the material may not be as good as many use here but I doubt many here would offer that type of warranty, . . .

I give a life-time warranty on all my goods plus free repair. In 20 years I've had two items back for repair. Both were really well used, the damage was due to wear-and-tear, but repair them I did. When asked what 'life-time' means, ie mine, the item's or the owner's?  I tell 'em, mine or the item's which ever ends first

For 16 years my brand was just - Fred. Cos I was fairly well known in the Historical Presentation/Re-enactment circles. Just "get Fred to make it/mend it" But since I left that scene I have to start over again.

'Hey, If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I can do it - I have spare time.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf4C9ssuPjE

Edited by JLSleather

btw, a 'life-time' guarantee is illegal** in EU law. afair it has to be in nominated years and be of reasonable length. The 100 years mentioned above would be out of order I think  but 50 or 75 years would be fine

** but I don't care, so there  :P

On 8/31/2019 at 12:28 PM, RockyAussie said:

sorry for taking this long to reply to you, its been a busy end of month for me. I have read your outline of thoughts a few times and I have to say that there is a lot of contradictions within it that leave me to suggest a different strategy than to what you are stating you want.

No problem, taking care of business comes first.
And yeah, even as I wrote the post I noticed the contradictions but kept going to put it all out there. It was very therapeutic and of course gave me a lot to think about. Like:

Your answer told me that you did not really want to sell into those shops. You want people to buy the product that you want to make and until the product becomes boring to make. Thank God that for you and them it is not up and going.

From what you say and what can be seen in your insta you have within you an artist streak that needs to be satisfied and that needs to find a way to come out and earn you money and reputation as well.

Yes, I had some kind of idea before but this thread have quite confirmed that I want to go the artistic route more. Thanks for making me realise that. I'm not averse to some small run work, say like 20 belts in short time, but don't want to do that all the time.

SABATON

Interesting idea. Had a guy that was gonna introduce me to John Norum (Europe) to basically start the word going, but nothing materialized. Better not rely on a friend of a friend...

Selling is often best achieved if you can think of it more like a collaboration in getting products sold instead of here is my product I want your money.

That's why I like doing custom work, I see it as a collab between customer and maker.

On 8/31/2019 at 2:20 PM, Lfrog said:

Volume doesnt have to mean shoddy and sh*t

Definitely not, the right process and machines (and QC) can turn out a great product. Which is why RockyAussie started these threads I guess, to help others get there too.
But Volume with great art is something I haven't really seen. Usually that means embossing machines which will never look as good as hand stamping or carving. Or it will mean having a lot of people working under pressure like in the old(?) saddlemakers that made Porter and Sheridan tooling famous...I have seen some of those saddles and they are 'good' not great. 

On 8/31/2019 at 2:25 PM, chrisash said:

does anyone really care about the difference between hand and machine sewing

More than you think I guess. Some people want/need handstitched for the extra toughness/strength -though most products don't really require that today- and some for the looks. And a few for the fact that a person did all the work on the product.

10 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

I am sure that it would not be difficult to get the product done elsewhere in Sweden to his design specs if it toooo boring.

No, I can think of a few places to have this outsourced to in Sweden, still having that 'Made in Sweden' badge...

10 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

By starting off a combined artist promotion group like (Swedish artists international promotions) (Made in Sweden artists collaboration) and inviting some artists to join and and collectively promote each other you then have an advantage in introducing yourself to other prospective customers.

Yes, will check if this exists already or if I can start one.

1 hour ago, Lfrog said:

So we only really have the power of perceived value, we cant hide behind a brand the product has to stand up for itself.

For most of us this is 100% true, only the big brands don't really have to do more than put their brand on 'whatever' and it will sell. We on the other hand need to make something so great, that it warrants the customer to brag about it to all their friends.

For most of us this is 100% true, only the big brands don't really have to do more than put their brand on 'whatever' and it will sell. We on the other hand need to make something so great, that it warrants the customer to brag about it to all their friends

That's true but they had to spend fortunes on marketing and presentation along with  the right design and flair to get noticed in the first place, companies are happy to spend millions just to get you to chose what petrol you put in your car

5 hours ago, chrisash said:

That's true but they had to spend fortunes on marketing and presentation along with  the right design and flair to get noticed in the first place, companies are happy to spend millions just to get you to chose what petrol you put in your car

For sure, not saying they didn't pay dearly for the 'privilege'.

6 minutes ago, nstarleather said:

Besides that the info he gives on leather is 90% wrong and 100% misleading.

That 'genius" in S. Carolina trying to sell holsters with my designs and a fancy story about his design skills offers like a jillion year "warranty".  Problem is, if he look ya in the face and lie about the design, then WHAT IS his "warranty" really worth?@! :rolleyes2:

1 hour ago, nstarleather said:

It's also worth saying that a warranty that's longer than a company has existed is also to be looked upon with a bit of skepticism. 

also consider how long the company is likely to exist in the future. In this 21st century even old companies are closing down at a fast rate. Many guarantees / warranties are worthless. Even when one company is taken over by another and looses its individual identity its warranties are ignored thereafter. I can give plenty of personally known examples but I'll not.

Our guarantees / warranties must stand true

I know a local artisan pottery which gives no guarantee on its works. Someone I know bought a nice looking coffee mug. Sold as such. Got it home, went to use. The mug was porous, like a sponge. Coffee all over the kitchen work top. She took the mug back to the pottery. Their reaction was 'So?' no money back no replacement mug - nowt.  £15 wasted on a pen holder

Our guarantees / warranties must stand true

Anyone who gives you a 100 year warranty on anything other than hard stone or bronze sculpture..is taking the piss, and to be ignored. Most modern housing is only designed to last a year or two longer than the mortgage. Understanding your customer ( as RockyAussie was saying in the 1st post ) is key, which is how the ad business is able to sell ads to people who make crap, and then pitch those ads to the people who buy the crap.The average person is stupid and easily led, and that is just the average, 50% of people are even more more stupid, and even more easily led. It is up to anyone creating things to sell, which market segment of the population ( any population, anywhere ) they want to target.

Edited by mikesc

Take this or leave it. I am not saying you should do it or not do it. I have never given a written guarantee or warranty on any product. I have said before getting me to sign anything is pretty hard to do. I have never been asked for it and I doubt it would make any difference to my sales. The customers I make for have never asked for it anyway and most of them I have dealt with for 20+ years. I have had sometimes something come back to be repaired and I do all I can to HELP them get it back in the best condition I can. One member here for whom I have the utmost respect helped me to get a belt fixed up for a customer in the USA at my request. The belt was over 10 years old and worn in hard yakka conditions every day. It took a fair bit of communication between us and I am very pleased to say that the customer reported back that the workmanship was excellent. I would so like to thank him again and I would love to say his name but ....that is up to him to attest to really. One thing about repairing shoes and leather goods for years before starting to make them gives you a really good idea how to not make the mistakes other makers have made before. I really hate zips in products and do state that if they want them, that part of the product will cost to be repaired if its needed. Truth is that is the most common thing that needs repairing and although I have not had any of my own fail I do get to fix a lot by other makers. Below I can show a little of why mine last as well as they do. The purse on the left is made in Singapore and is a pretty good maker, the one in the middle I made and the one to the right is made in Italy. Previously this customer had them made in the other places to try and save a few dollars. Both of the other 2 makers purses I have to regularly replace the zips in for different reasons. The Singapore version puts them in a little too tight but does a very good quality in most other respects.He does work to a measure and mark method which unfortunately means that some are tighter than others at times. The Italian maker is really sub par in many ways. The zips are put in too close to the edge and sometimes even miss getting caught by the stitching but even worse it has a full cardboard stiffener done in the way if you were making a book cover that means when the purse is full the cardboard puts extra pressure onto the zipper. Worse yet the cardboard is glued down right to the edge where it contacts the zipper. That means when it gets full the cardboard separates back to the stitch line and wow that sure then looks bad.

DSC04505_resize.JPG

This pic shows the zip from the edges better. Note that the Italian orange ones lining is very proud as well.

DSC04507_resize.JPG

With mine I made a 3d printed mould that helps to keep the zip held consistently at the right spacing, depth etc. This here also gets held in the other wooden jig shown.

DSC08081_resize.JPG

This pic shows the zipper now attached over the inner lining and importantly take note of the orange part to the right in the picture. This is the inside view of the outer section to be attached over the zipper section later. Note that the centre section of the stiffener is removed and showing the foam that is attached to the outer skin. This is why my design allows mobile phones to fit inside with out damaging the purse or zipper. Note also that the stiffener has been coloured over and around the edges.

DSC08086_resize.JPG

Here you can see the outer skin now attached but only glued up as far as the stitching will reach.

DSC08091_resize.JPG

Stitching down shown here

DSC08099_resize.JPG

Product now stitched.DSC08108_resize.JPG

NOW I want to ask you as all 3 products are similar to each other visually, Who is copying who and who's nose is out of joint and should I care :dunno:

@JLSleather Hey Jeff....I love it . 

Please do not think that I condone copying and breaking copyright laws as I don't but I do profess that I like to see that we all learn better by studying and copying techniques in harmony amongst ourselves. I would hope by sharing that we all help to lift the bar a little higher.

IF what you do is something that ANYBODY can do, then don't be surprised when ANYBODY does.:whistle:

Edited by RockyAussie
picture misplaced

37 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

NOW I want to ask you as all 3 products are similar to each other visually, Who is copying who and who's nose is out of joint and should I care :dunno:

@JLSleather Hey Jeff....I love it . 

Please do not think that I condone copying and breaking copyright laws as I don't but I do profess that I like to see that we all learn better by studying and copying techniques in harmony amongst ourselves. I would hope by sharing that we all help to lift the bar a little higher.

IF what you do is something that ANYBODY can do, then don't be surprised when ANYBODY does.:whistle:

Brian..re: the above..a subject for another thread..which is running at the moment.. but

I do profess that I like to see that we all learn better by studying and copying techniques in harmony amongst ourselves

We are not "amongst ourselves" LW.net is a totally open to anyone to read forum, and anyone can join..( one "would be plagiarist" just did, there are others reading and joined, and who will join ) it is all fully indexed ( apart from Pms ) by search engines, very very far from "amongst ourselves" ..copying "Techniques" yes.."Designs"..no....

Your stitching and edges are better than on the other two examples that you show.. :)

re Jeff's new "sig"..which you have co-opted..

Anyone can sing "Hey Jude"..( or any song ) .but it is wrong to sing it on a record and then sell, or try to sell, the record without permission from the original writers, or their "estate", if they or their kids are still alive.

Agree with you 100% about zips.. :)

Edited by mikesc

It's a good idea to create an online store. It turned out Facebook is a nice site to do that, though I had no idea how to start. Now there are a lot of articles with tips on how to create a facebook store, like this one source. I wish I had something like this at that time.

facebook stores only get seen by enough people if you pay facebook for ads..in which case they'll send 99% bot traffic, and charge you as if they were people..don't waste your time or your money..
subtle marketing there ;)..can't wait to see your next link out :)

On 9/2/2019 at 7:38 AM, JLSleather said:

That 'genius" in S. Carolina trying to sell holsters with my designs and a fancy story about his design skills offers like a jillion year "warranty".  Problem is, if he look ya in the face and lie about the design, then WHAT IS his "warranty" really worth?@! :rolleyes2:

Holy Easter thread, Batman!

I was out poking around your site and saw the downloadable patterns. I don't see any licensing or permissions statements on them, though.

If I download one of your patterns and make the item, are you OK if I sell the item? I don't know that I'll do it, but I'm happy to credit "Design by JLSLeather, hand-crafted by JHLeatherwood."

I've noticed that some designers are very free with their permissions ... and others, not so much.

2 minutes ago, JHLeatherwood said:

Holy Easter thread, Batman!

I was out poking around your site and saw the downloadable patterns. I don't see any licensing or permissions statements on them, though.

If I download one of your patterns and make the item, are you OK if I sell the item? I don't know that I'll do it, but I'm happy to credit "Design by JLSLeather, hand-crafted by JHLeatherwood."

I've noticed that some designers are very free with their permissions ... and others, not so much.

JLs quit posting a while back you probably should contact him at his store site for permissions.