I made myself a holster for my new 1911. 5oz and 3oz Wickett and Craig laminated together. Used a @JLSleather Avenger pattern slightly modified as it’s a compact not full sized. The belt loops are off a different leather so didn’t darken as nice as the holster. 5spi with 1mm Tiger thread. Left natural. 

C1C89BD5-FF94-472C-A16D-406B42F20D2B.jpeg

4C4C5FB1-11B9-40A9-BFAB-A7E490A2A18E.jpeg

B87A7225-3BDF-46CA-A750-BCF7E82FAFB9.jpeg

Looks really nice.

THIS IS the reason I always recommend cutting the loops from the same leather as the holster body, even if you have to split it to right weight.  Still, should be easy enough to dye those loops to the belt color  Looks good.   ;)

39 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

THIS IS the reason I always recommend cutting the loops from the same leather as the holster body, even if you have to split it to right weight.  Still, should be easy enough to dye those loops to the belt color  Looks good.   ;)

Ye I’ll probably change them. Oiled and sat them in the sun and didn’t change the color one iota.

Uh... where's the mag carrier ta matchit? :whistle:

8 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Uh... where's the mag carrier ta matchit? :whistle:

Haven’t built that yet.The  holster was kind of an experiment. Lol

love the color and stiching.

Very nice, clean work. I would dye the loops black, which will match the snaps and actually be a nicer contrast to the holster than the light color, IMO

Thanks for including the specs. I always like to know the leather weight, SPI and thread size. I used 0.8 Tiger last time. I really like your 1mm.

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

Nice and clean. 

Is that a .45?  I got a double-mag carrier, high angle, .45 single stack.... that you kin have for the postage if'n ya want it.  It's got a cut in the leather, part way through top layer, which is why i used it for the prototype.  Stil, very solid and usable, but i don't shoot a .45  You'd wanna cut down (or off) the sweat guard, which was aimed at the 8-round Colt.. but otherwise years of use just for buffin a bit and do the edges. Solid HO leather. downside is it got a coat of BLACK dye ...

Cut out some new straps and oiled and suntanned them. Also like the copper snaps with the natural leather.

248946AE-881D-4C53-81C3-5F468F2FA95C.jpeg

7499FF3B-5A82-40A8-9E2D-AA9CF3811DAF.jpeg

With belt loops like this, what are the best make of snaps for strength of sideways pull like these will be subject to, only used snaps so far for fastening with no real strength required

Pull the dot snaps. They only open one direction.

17 minutes ago, chrisash said:

With belt loops like this, what are the best make of snaps for strength of sideways pull like these will be subject to, only used snaps so far for fastening with no real strength required

That's much better color -- and the copper is werkin' too.

Very nice, and I really like the copper snaps on the natural leather.