rktaylor

Transferring Floral Pattern on Swells

This is my first floral effort on a saddle. Does anyone have tips for transferring the pattern to the swells? What mistakes will sneak up on me before I know it? Thanks,

Randy

IMG_20190825_115354531.jpg

IMG_20190825_115338095.jpg

Randy,

In the first photo, I can see your welt, and your pattern appears to fit around the welt.  The second photo it appears that the pattern hits the welt.  It has been years since I tooled any swells; but the lesson I learned was to keep it simple.  Here's what I suggest: envision that your flower stem starts down by the bars and goes counter clock wise so that it ends on the seat side.  Your pattern starts like I suggest, but confuses me at the base of the bud area in the first photo.  The second photo appears that you turned your pattern over, and it doesn't appear to fit over the welt.  Anyway, practice on scrap first.  That was my mistake when I first did swells.  I went full tilt doing my finished cover and lived with the results.  BIG MISTAKE for me.

Good Luck, Ron

I used to do it the way that you are showing, but found a much simpler approach.  This is kind of like horseshoes= you only have to get close.  I now use tapoffs for the flowers and leaves after figuring out the flow.  That way you can stay away from stitchlines and welts.  Then all you have to do is get close with stems and buds.  Of course this approach won't work if you're trying for TCAA, but nobody else will notice on a loping horse.  

Ron,

Thanks for the comments. That is a practice pattern so I need to work on flow and fill in some voids. I probably covered up too much in the first photo with my hand for you to really assess the pattern. I didn't turn the pattern over, but it may have moved a bit. That seems to be my challenge; taking a flat pattern and matching it to a compound curved surface. I have also learned to have a practice plan. :)

SaddleBags,

The tap outs would eliminate the flat pattern/curved surface problem, but I don't think I am quite at that level yet. I am trying to get better at floral tooling while making a floral saddle. Probably not a great decision, but I have made worse. It's not a TCAA saddle, but I would like to enter it at Wichita Falls. It will be fun to get some 'live' critiques. 

Appreciate the feedback. I plan to tool this over the weekend or I'll be really stressed for time to get this done.

Randy

The beauty of good quality leather is in leather itself. Unless you absolutely have to carve it, do not. This is my approach at least. Same with wood. Just my 2c, do not shoot me!

Randy,

I forgot tap offs.  I think Saddle Bags said what I was trying to say.  If you use transfer paper, don't draw all the stems and leaves on your pattern.  First, you may not see them when if comes to cutting in, and, (like I often do, I scratch my head and wonder what I was thinking) when I make a cut and realize that wasn't what I was thinking.  The neat thing about tap offs, is that you can lightly tap one where you might think it would look good, and erase it if it doesn't.  Anyway, swells are a challenge, and the only way to get good is to try.  Hey you are close to the TCAA hall, and hope you get er done for Wichita Falls show.

Ron

Ron,

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to give it a go today on a practice piece.

Randy

I finished these last night. I think tap offs are definitely the way to go, but I need more practice drawing floral patterns first. I used this pattern to draw the main features; flowers, leaves, outside lines, and anything else I thought I could fill in. Then I drew the remaining items by looking at the pattern. The two sides are close, but not quite the same. I think they would be more similar using tap offs. Thanks for the advice. I'm looking forward to getting back to a flat surface.

IMG_20190905_203403341.jpg

Randy,

It came out very nice.  The symmetry came out quite well.  I laugh, but we all need practice to get better.  That's what it is all about.  Good luck in the Boot and Saddle Show.

Josh and Ron,

Thanks for the compliments. I guess everything is just practice. :) Sometimes I impress myself and sometimes I wonder what I was thinking.

Randy

Looks great Randy!!

rdl

On 9/25/2019 at 6:14 PM, rdl123 said:

Looks great Randy!!

rdl

Thanks Ron, It's getting oiled and I hope to put it together Monday.

Randy