So I'm working on a batch of wallets for a wedding party and I used acrylic resolene to act as a resist I did 2 coats and then applied feibings med brown antique paste and let them sit for about a day and went to put that final top coat of acrylic resolene on them and noticed how much antique was getting lifted and smeared around so I stopped to see if there is any better options for a top coat that I could you onto of the existing 2 coats if acrylic resolene. I have tan kote leather balm with atom was neatlac in the aerosol can and sheridan resist 

I had noticed the same thing. 3 things I did made a difference

1. dipped the item in a bath of diluted resolene and lay flat to dry. Repeat a few times

2. spray diluted resolene on, again, repeated coats and again lie flat to dry

3 let the antique dry and cure for about 3 weeks before attempting to lightly apply a thinned coat of resolene dabbed on by sponge, not wiped, but dabbed on

edited to correct a spelling error

Edited by fredk

10 hours ago, fredk said:

I had noticed the same thing. 3 things I did made a difference

1. dipped the item in a bath of diluted resolene and lay flat to dry. Repeat a few times

2. spray diluted resolene on, again, repeated coats and again lie flat to dry

3 let the antique dry and cure for about 3 weeks before attempting to lightly apply a thinned coat of resolene dabbed on by sponge, not wiped, but dabbed on

edited to correct a spelling error

I was actually gona try and spray it with my tandy spray bottle but I wasnt sure if it would ruin it or not deffinetly gona give it a try 

I spray a coupe of coats of Resolene, then apply antique.  Let antique dry for 20-30 minutes, wipe off excess, then respray a couple of coats of Resolene.  Seems to work well for me every time!  Never had much luck wiping on a finish after applying antique - always seemed to pull too much antique from the low spots.

Gary

2 hours ago, garypl said:

I spray a coupe of coats of Resolene, then apply antique.  Let antique dry for 20-30 minutes, wipe off excess, then respray a couple of coats of Resolene.  Seems to work well for me every time!  Never had much luck wiping on a finish after applying antique - always seemed to pull too much antique from the low spots.

Gary

What do you use to spray the resolene would the tandy mister bottle work or do you use an airbrush 

3 hours ago, Kolton45 said:

What do you use to spray the resolene would the tandy mister bottle work or do you use an airbrush 

I use a cheap airbrush from Harbor Freight.  They cost $9 or $10.  Works great.  I don’t think you would get even coverage using a pump spray bottle, but I may be wrong.  I bought a small compressor on Amazon along with a 5 gallon air tank.  With all the fittings I guess I have about $100 in the whole setup.  

Gary