battlemunky

Book cover (nod to Don Gonzalez's design)

I made this a few weeks ago and just got around to posting pics. I made it for myself so I didn't scrutinize everything and there are a few less than perfect things. I modeled it after Don Gonzalez's he makes in his video. I think I'd like a one part cover more but to be fair, I didn't follow his design to the letter and used 5/6 oz for the cover and spine and 3/4 oz for the liners and book holder/business card holder. I used a craftaid for the basketweave layout and then cut it in by hand and beveled with a checked beveler and did a border with some Craftool pro border tool (can supply the # if anyone is interested. I screwed up two of the 4 corners though :/ Please comment as you see fit.

20190826_204354-288x512.jpg

20190826_204414-288x512.jpg

20190826_204423-288x512.jpg

20190826_204454-288x512.jpg

20190826_204508-288x512.jpg

Looks pretty good to me. I cannot see where you screwed up anything.

It just ain't as clean as I'd make if it was for a payin' customer. I did mess up on the basket weave in a few spots and have a single square in a few spots instead of the normal 1u by 2 u rectangles. And the corners on the border, 2 of them ended badly :) . It works like a charm and I owe a few folks at work one since they've seen them. I'm going to use 3/4 oz throughout the next ones though. That thick spine is a bit resilient to bending.

20 hours ago, battlemunky said:

That thick spine is a bit resilient to bending.

Cut grooves in the inside on each fold.  The fold bends nice, and gives a more square look to the cover's spine.

Tom

I'm not sure I'm picking up what you are putting down @Northmount. I'll get some pics of the construction when I get back home in order to facilitate better discussion.

Imagine it laying flat: It is laid up with a piece of 3/4 oz for the cover (outer left and right sides of the book), the 5/6 oz spine skived down on the edges and glued to the cover acting as a bridge joining the two sides, then the internal book cover pockets sandwiching the the spine from the inside. Then I sew each side all together.

When you say to cut grooves, are you meaning on the spine section?

3 hours ago, battlemunky said:

When you say to cut grooves, are you meaning on the spine section?

Yes, on the inside of the spine so it is easy to fold, doesn't stretch and wrinkle the outside as much.  Forces the cover plus spine to fold exactly on the groove.  When I do a 3 part cover, I overlap the spine piece on top of the front and back covers.  The covers don't need to extend right into the edge.

1011361_10151716318030281_1624365366_n_10151716318030281.jpg

Tom

Got it. The inner and out cover on the one I made sandwich the spine piece but the groove concept applies the same.