Hildebrand

Holster plate on CB 4500

I have a couple projects that it looks like the holster or stirrup plate would help get the sewing done without things getting caught on the cylinder arm.  I am curious as to how difficult it is to get the lower feed dog adjusted after you put it back in.  I am hesitant to take things apart since it is sewing so nice right now but if its not real bad to reset I would try it.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Todd

it aint that critical.

Factory spec for the doggie is a maximum height of 1mm showing above the stock throat plate. I usually temper this down to just the teeth showing, not the base metal. Make a note of the height before you remove the dog.

I had my holster plate modified by a machine shop to allow the feed dog to remain in place, clearing the interior metal, saving time and adjustments.

Okay, wait.   I'm trying not to do [yet another] video rant (about videos) but this is how quickly the topic can get DERAILED.  Maybe it's the discussions from Australia about productivity and profit currently going on, but here's one "don't" for your productivity list.

@Hildebrand asks a legit question - clearly aimed at avoiding any known issues where possible.  GOOD for productivity, eh?  (that's rhetorical, of course it is good).

And somehow, that translates to a 17 min video that doesn't mention the part until about 5:40, and only in passing, and then at 14 minutes (ish) tells you that the answer to the question is "feeling" and you might move it "a tad", and that it "just depends" ?@#!$!  WAIT>. WHAT?@!?

MY mistake.. while I'm having my coffee, I could (and should) have made that drawing into a pdf for the clicker die makers....

On my Cobra Class 4,  I can use the Holster plate but not the stirrup plate without removing the feed dog but I also have the smooth dog that comes with the machine.   It is close but does clear the bottom of the plate.  HTH  

Thank you for the replies. I tried it last night with the feed dog in place like @Ken Nelson suggested.  Mine clears so I know it works that way I just need to fine tune things and get used to not having the lower feed help pull the leather through. 

Thanks,

Todd

17 minutes ago, Hildebrand said:

Thank you for the replies. I tried it last night with the feed dog in place like @Ken Nelson suggested.  Mine clears so I know it works that way I just need to fine tune things and get used to not having the lower feed help pull the leather through. 

Thanks,

Todd

In my case, I lowered the height of my feed dog slightly to clear the holster plate. Later, I had a friend mill out some material from the inside, just in case.

Not having the feed dog increases drag on the leather, shortening the preset stitch length and usually making reverse not match forward holes anymore. I found that I could sort of compensate for this by backing off the top foot pressure screw. The lower the foot pressure, the easier it is to move the material. Leather is stickier than fabrics and also tends to grab the needle and thread knots on the way back up. You always need enough foot pressure to hold down the leather on the upstroke and nothing more.