awharness

Timing juki 341

I can’t get the timing right on my juki 341, does the tip of the hook cross the flat spot on the needle on the way up??

8836EDDE-D4E2-4153-88EB-901BE8B2F8CC.jpeg

I'm not familiar with your specific model, but my personal experience with my machines is when they start acting up and it seems like something serious is wrong, more often than not,there is a moving part or parts somewhere that needs to be oiled   

Timing has nothing to do with oiling..

Yes the hook tip should be just beginning crossing the flat part of the needle where the eye is on the way back up ( the flat part is called the scarf ) ..I don't know your exact machine ( but someone will be along who does ) that will be able to give you the precise measurement ( which is normally in mm down from the top edge of the scarf )  to the tip of the hook which has just arrived into that flat part..Meanwhile ..Oil is not going to solve your timing problems..nor will it solve a whole pile of other mechanical problems on sewing ( or any other ) machines..Oil is not a kind of magical tool..very often when a sewing machine "locks up" thread is caught in the hook, which all the oil in the world won't help.

I agree, oil is not a magic fix for everything.   Thread caught up in the hook definitely causes most lock ups.  I have saved a lot of money though, Simply by cleaning up the thread tangles and oiling the parts.  When my jukinwas locking up bad, the local service centre tech told it was likely either the timing or the hook was bent.   Turned out I had been oiling everything except the bobin case components.   I found a video online that showed me what to oil and I haven't had a problem since.   Proper maintenance fixes and prevents a lot of issues.  Oil is just a cheap fix to try before digging into more complicated options    

Lot of people forget to oil the race..I have a Juki DLU 490-D that gets very antsy if I don't do so daily when it is in use..The rest is auto oiled..but I still prefer to manually oil it as it rarely runs fast enough for the oil pump to really send oil everywhere..My Singers ( 211G 166A , 20U33 and a 29K Patcher ) are more forgiving, but the Singers also like their races oiling..the 29K doesn't have what would really be a "race" , but oil one, oil them all.. :)

Edited by mikesc