NickPol

Waxed canvas Overlock/Serger

As hobbies often go I have found myself getting deeper into leathercraft and started branching off into making waxed canvas bags with leather handles. That being said I picked up a Consew 206rb-5 as reccommended on this site and I absolutely love this machine! I am now on the hunt to find a Overlock/Serger that can go over the edge of 15oz waxed canvas doubled up. I find the amount of models and spec dizzying and I am hoping I can rely on your wisdom to point me in the right direction. These machine also get quite expensive but I know it will be worth it since it is frustrating trying to use a home serger for this application and is close to impossible. I am open to refurbished models since that would bring the cost down, and hope to keep it in the $1000 range if possible. Thank you for your help. If you know other resources that could help me I would greatly appreciate it. 

What are you currently using and why is it not doing what you want?

Look out for a used Juki 4 thread, 2 needle MO series serger with a half horsepower motor. Or, contact Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines (see ad banners at top) and ask what they have in stock. For sure, Keystone Sewing and Techsew will have some for sale.

New 2 needle, 4 thread overlock machines, setup on tables with good motors, run from about $2000 and up. You'll want one with a wide throw to encompass all that material. The motor should be at least 1/2 horsepower.

I am no expert but I have a little experience to offer. Last year I was acquiring some machines and picked up a Juki MO-6714s that still had the factory sew-off fabric under the foot. The owner never turned the machine on since new. The problem was it was stored badly and had surface rust on some critical areas. I got it cheap, $600. I spent some time removing some parts and de-rusting them. I bought a new upper and lower looper and finger guide. It ended up being a perfect new machine.

My purpose was to finish the edges of some pen pouches that I didn't want to add binding to. I felt the standard serger thread was too thin for my application. Usually this is around 40 weight but kind of fuzzy. I bought a half dozen spools of t-46 bonded nylon thread and played around with the tensions and it sews like a charm. My application is putting an overlock stitch on 4 layers of fabric. It is a 10oz. polyester 600D that has a pcv backing. It is pretty thick stuff and it works without any problem. That machine is smooth a silk to run too. It is still using a clutch motor and it is pretty easy to control. I am using 4 threads with 2 needles for a 4mm wide overlock stitch.

Model: Juki MO-6714S-BE6-40H

serger-pouch-1.jpg

serger-pouch-2.jpg

Edited by JJN
added photos

You may want to consider a Merrow machine either a 2 or 3 thread machine.  Some use Merrow floss.

Very good machines with a steep learning curve.  US made with good parts availability.  May

be able to help if you sent sample of fabric.    tx Lynn

On 8/28/2019 at 4:53 PM, JJN said:

I am no expert but I have a little experience to offer. Last year I was acquiring some machines and picked up a Juki MO-6714s that still had the factory sew-off fabric under the foot. The owner never turned the machine on since new. The problem was it was stored badly and had surface rust on some critical areas. I got it cheap, $600. I spent some time removing some parts and de-rusting them. I bought a new upper and lower looper and finger guide. It ended up being a perfect new machine.

My purpose was to finish the edges of some pen pouches that I didn't want to add binding to. I felt the standard serger thread was too thin for my application. Usually this is around 40 weight but kind of fuzzy. I bought a half dozen spools of t-46 bonded nylon thread and played around with the tensions and it sews like a charm. My application is putting an overlock stitch on 4 layers of fabric. It is a 10oz. polyester 600D that has a pcv backing. It is pretty thick stuff and it works without any problem. That machine is smooth a silk to run too. It is still using a clutch motor and it is pretty easy to control. I am using 4 threads with 2 needles for a 4mm wide overlock stitch.

serger-pouch-1.jpg

serger-pouch-2.jpg

That is a very cool machine. 

On 8/28/2019 at 5:53 PM, JJN said:

serger-pouch-1.jpg

serger-pouch-2.jpg

Greetings......................     Hoping you are still around.   Today I am picking up a MO-6716S FF6-50H.   My primary purpose will be mostly sewing Sunbrella marine canvas.  Just curious if you have dialed in yours any further.  Looking specifically for what Needles (Size and Point) and thread size you have selected.

Thank you, Stephen

I also use an MO-6700 at my second job; sewing blackout window blinds. Initially I set it up with #69 bonded nylon and it sewed it perfectly with #16 or 18 needles. However, I wanted to up the ante and have flame resistant edging so I changed to Tex 40 Nomen thread, using a #14 needle. This thread lies so much flatter and also holds onto the double sided tape I buy from Wawak to hold seams and Velcro in place for sewing. The nylon thread simply doesn't hold onto the tape because it is lubed.

What are the blackout blinds for Wiz, not much call for them in the UK that I know of

10 minutes ago, chrisash said:

What are the blackout blinds for Wiz, not much call for them in the UK that I know of

They are for school room windows in the event of an active shooter.

9 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

I also use an MO-6700 at my second job; sewing blackout window blinds. Initially I set it up with #69 bonded nylon and it sewed it perfectly with #16 or 18 needles. However, I wanted to up the ante and have flame resistant edging so I changed to Tex 40 Nomen thread, using a #14 needle. This thread lies so much flatter and also holds onto the double sided tape I buy from Wawak to hold seams and Velcro in place for sewing. The nylon thread simply doesn't hold onto the tape because it is lubed.

Soooo.......     If I understand you correctly.  The same old 69 thread, Bonded nylon or Poly(?) (I mostly use 92) and the DCx27 in 16 or 18 will do the trick?  

Is 69 the typical safe MAX thread?

Thank you Wiz - Stephen

5 hours ago, Smooooth said:

Soooo.......     If I understand you correctly.  The same old 69 thread, Bonded nylon or Poly(?) (I mostly use 92) and the DCx27 in 16 or 18 will do the trick?  

Is 69 the typical safe MAX thread?

Thank you Wiz - Stephen

I honestly don't know that. I would be concerned about the stress a larger bonded thread would exert on the loopers and the needles. You could buy several small spools of #92 thread and a pack of #19 needles in system DCx27 and see how it works out.

There are other sergers made for thicker thread and heavy material, like rugs. But, I think they use a non-bonded, soft thread that is larger in diameter.

3 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

I honestly don't know that. I would be concerned about the stress a larger bonded thread would exert on the loopers and the needles. You could buy several small spools of #92 thread and a pack of #19 needles in system DCx27 and see how it works out.

There are other sergers made for thicker thread and heavy material, like rugs. But, I think they use a non-bonded, soft thread that is larger in diameter.

Thank you............

I will start with #69 and go from there - seems like a safe path.

Stephen

On 10/11/2021 at 4:55 AM, Smooooth said:

Just curious if you have dialed in yours any further.

Hi @Smooooth, I am using this machine for the same single purpose as I was before. I am happy with the results as an edge finisher. That machine runs like crazy and is trouble free. If you use a larger thread you may have to adjust some of the clearances around the guides and loopers. The holes in the loopers might be a little tight for a heaver thread. I am still using the Tex 45 bonded nylon with a #14 needle.

serger-thread-needle.jpg