Just finished up this sheath and I swear to never make one like this again!  It is a whole cow.  Still can't seem to pull off stitching through this thick of material and get it looking presentable on the back.  My awl isn't long enough to go through an inch of leather so I had to awl through each layer at a time and somehow it still got wonky on the back.  Then the holes didn't line up when I went to stitching it so I'm stuck with it.  Knife is a Texas Knifemaker Supply blade that I did all the scale and guard work on.  I don't have the resources to forge a blade or I'd be doing that too. 

Plenty of flaws but it was a "fun" project.  Knife is 15" long give or take a bit.

20190828_110423.jpg

20190828_110355.jpg

20190828_110414.jpg

20190828_110438.jpg

20190828_110452.jpg

20190828_110507.jpg

20190828_110636.jpg

20190828_110749.jpg

20190828_110725.jpg

Edited by dougfergy

Great job on the leather work and the scales. What I like to do on a knife with a wide finger guard, is to taper the spacer pieces so that they are thick at the top, and thin at the bottom. That way the guard fits in correctly, and the sheath tapers down so there is no spacer  (or just a small amount to protect the stitching) on the lower part. Really helps on the stitching.

Really beautiful. Love everything about it.

Would it have been possible, or practical, to drill the holes on a drill press? If you could glue the layers, mark the holes and drill all layers at the same time, I think it could work. You would have to drill through the back so that the sheath would lay completely flat, so that the holes come out "right" on both sides.

nick

Very, very nice! And despite the slight unevenness of the stitching on the back, it is a great cover for a fearsome knife... Holy smoke - what a blade that is! Best to keep it sheathed and at ease in such a nice yard of cow...

Thanks y'all. 

2 hours ago, TSes said:

Great job on the leather work and the scales. What I like to do on a knife with a wide finger guard, is to taper the spacer pieces so that they are thick at the top, and thin at the bottom. That way the guard fits in correctly, and the sheath tapers down so there is no spacer  (or just a small amount to protect the stitching) on the lower part. Really helps on the stitching.

I actually started out with that wedge shape in mind but I talked myself out of it afraid I would screw up the holes with the transition.  Who knew?

53 minutes ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

Really beautiful. Love everything about it.

Would it have been possible, or practical, to drill the holes on a drill press? If you could glue the layers, mark the holes and drill all layers at the same time, I think it could work. You would have to drill through the back so that the sheath would lay completely flat, so that the holes come out "right" on both sides.

nick

Thank you! If I ever build another one that thick, I may try that.  Might glue some layers of scrap together to see if I can master that.  I did make a needle out of a brass pin that is very sharp and polished that will go in my drill press so that I can bore the holes and burnish the edges as it goes through but I haven't practiced with that either.  I definitely want to learn how to pull this off and make it look good! 

Edited by dougfergy

44 minutes ago, Riem said:

Very, very nice! And despite the slight unevenness of the stitching on the back, it is a great cover for a fearsome knife... Holy smoke - what a blade that is! Best to keep it sheathed and at ease in such a nice yard of cow...

Thank you!  I've had that blade for almost 10 years and finally decided to finish it so I can work on some more practical knives I have blades for, for Christmas gifts.  I'm glad to be done with it.  I started off with some burled mesquite wood that I screwed up so I was forced to go with the laminate.  The knife is too large for practicality unless you are Rambo or The Rock.

Really nice colour and stamping on the front!I like the cutout on the strap handle to show off the star on the handle. Thanks for posting

Looking good!  Clean work imo.  Keep it up each one you will get better!

Ross

Thanks for the compliments and the critique.  I noticed I smeared some antique over the front stitching in a couple places so it looks like some dark spots.  It came off the waxed thread when I rubbed on it.  It would be a long list if I told you all the mistakes I made and had to adapt to.  Even though I drew it up and cut out a pattern, I still did a lot of designing on the fly.  That's what makes leather work interesting.  It's like hitting that one good shot out of 125 swings when learning how to play golf, it brings you back for another round.

5 minutes ago, dougfergy said:

Thanks for the compliments and the critique.  I noticed I smeared some antique over the front stitching in a couple places so it looks like some dark spots.  It came off the waxed thread when I rubbed on it.  It would be a long list if I told you all the mistakes I made and had to adapt to.  Even though I drew it up and cut out a pattern, I still did a lot of designing on the fly.  That's what makes leather work interesting.  It's like hitting that one good shot out of 125 swings when learning how to play golf, it brings you back for another round.

Doug,

We are our own worst critics always.   I can tell you how many times I look at something I finished and all I see are the myriad of mistakes.  I show it to friends or clients and they are thrilled with the product and rarely see any of the stuff I do.  Like you said its what keeps us coming back and getting better each time  I suspect no matter how many things you make you always find stuff to improve next time.   The mistakes change and usually are not as major the more you make !!!!  

In regards to making knives You mentioned you dont have the resources to forge a blade.   There are lots of ways to do that.  Some of the first knives I made were done with an angle grinder, file and sand paper. Heat treat was in a wood stove(not ideal hahaha).   You can do stock removal which other than the heat treat doesnt require forging its just shaping the metal and heat treating.  You obviously can handle the shaping of the guard and the handles so I am sure you can do the metal work.  Lot of fun!   Theres also  a book called the $50 knife shop by Wayne Goddard.   Lot of ways to make knives on a budget with minimal stuff in it.

Enjoy the journey that is the most important part.   I firmly believe that part of you goes into everything you make and when you are enjoying it the better the product you make!

Ross

4 minutes ago, Rossr said:

I firmly believe that part of you goes into everything you make and when you are enjoying it the better the product you make!

Ross

I agree totally.  Thanks!

21 hours ago, dougfergy said:

I did make a needle out of a brass pin that is very sharp and polished that will go in my drill press so that I can bore the holes and burnish the edges as it goes through but I haven't practiced with that either.

If that doesn't work, you can try a 3/64" drill bit.

I failed to mention before, how stunning I thought the keeper is on your sheath. That is a very nice, unique touch... and the way it highlights the star, super.

nick

Thanks Nick!

Beautiful :)

Hi,

You are your own worst critique... I think you did a fabulous job on that sheath and should be proud of your accomplishment!  I think it looks great!  I like the color and the overall design.  You thought things out.... Rock on my friend!

Vikefan

Love the knife. Love the sheath.  Be proud!

Thanks y'all!

great job on both!

Thanks!