chrisash

Can anyone identify machine

Can anyone identify this machine

singer 1.jpg

singer 2.jpg

It´s a Singer 45k1 Chris

It's a boat anchor.

If you can get it for under a tenner..do so..then leave it in diesel for a month, submerged, take it out ( keep the diesel, you'll need it again , more than once )  see what moves..and how easily..if anything binds at all , put it back in the diesel, ..repeat as necessary.. until it moves freely..then take it out, dry it of with rags and begin stripping it and cleaning each piece individually..Take notes and pics of what goes where before you take things off..It will be a labour of love..an epic thread..at the end of it, it may even work..You will have enjoyed yourself..and that is what counts :)

Shame. Somebody put black paint over that ferric chloride plating! B)

That's my kind of machine.  A great winter project.  Lots of diesel and lots of Sewing Machine Oil.  It could probably sew again and be a good machine if limbered back up.

"Boat anchor"?  Pffft.

CD in Oklahoma

I agree.  It can be rebuilt but will take a lot of work.

glenn

45K´s are very forgiving machines - I have restored one thats came in a lot of machines that were used as garden decorations for some years. It was rusty and has been brushed with black paint again but after cleaning it thoroughly it turned out as a really nice machine and tolerances are still very tight!

If you need new slide plate  (left of needle plate) and mounting plate (right of needle plate) the ones from the Singer 132K are the same and can be found at College Sewing - JFTC they are badly rusted.

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/parts-by-machine/singer-sewing-machine-parts/singer-132b-132k-133k-parts

I also still have a bunch of 45K parts from my restorations so if you need something drop me a note.

EDIT:

I would not necessarily dunk the whole  in Diesel first. If the mechanics is seized I would drip some solvent (maybe diesel but I prefer paint thinner) in oil holes and mechanical parts. Also a tub of hot washing soda solution also may free the machines (not kidding it worked for me) and also solvates old gun too (old gunk on sewing machines prats that looks like rust often is just dried oil / grease and dirt)

If you want to remove the external paint and rust I would try electrolysis (DIY) Electrolysis also may break free the mechanics and you can re-use the washing soda solution. I did that on a 29K1 head a while ago - it really worked very well but takes some time.

Edited by Constabulary

Expecting to hear from the seller today about the actual version number, but she has confirmed it is not seized 

Ok found out its a 45K1 not seized and available in Norfolk for £25 just the head available, I have no need for a heavy machine so if anyone wants it  feel free to buy, I can pick it up and hold in my garage for anyone who cannot pick up soon just pm me for instructions etc

3 hours ago, chrisash said:

Ok found out its a 45K1 not seized and available in Norfolk for £25 just the head available, I have no need for a heavy machine so if anyone wants it  feel free to buy, I can pick it up and hold in my garage for anyone who cannot pick up soon just pm me for instructions etc

Any 45K is worth £25, whatever the condition, IMHO. The flywheel alone's worth it.

I'm tempted to take up your kind offer, but for the fact I've got 2 already that don't see enough use.

It's up to you mat, I am happy to cover it in oil and put in in my dry garage for as long as you want or anyone else wants, the owner knows nothing about machines you can see the add here https://www.gumtree.com/p/arts-crafts/industrial-sewing-machine/1350644816 I am not the buyer just found the limk on a local search and thought about it and decided not for me