yober

Source for DOT® Durable low shelf studs …

… that won’t cost three times the price just for shipping.

I’m trying to find low-shelf studs to work with my thumb breaks reinforced with steel (like most holster makers do).  Went to the source:

https://www.dotfasteners.com/durabletm-studs-2224.html

DOT® Durable™ Stud 93-BS-10379--1C Government Black Finish 100 pack
but a bag of 100 costs a minimum of $20 to ship for an $8 item.  Can’t seem to find any distributors for these particular items, so I was wondering if anyone uses these and where they source ‘em?

Regular line 24 studs don’t work even with the longest eyelets from Dot or elsewhere, and I scoured the forum hoping otherwise.

Thanks in advance.

45B198D1-6DD6-494E-9558-9A48F717ABD4.jpeg

Edited by yober
Inserted pic.

Don't take this as dismissive, but a couple things here. Im not sure I'm following what you're trying to do.  You mean you're having difficulty with posts long enough to go through something else you're adding?  And if this FIXES the problem, then is't $20 money well spent?

Maybe I'm not following you here.  Not trying to sound abrasive... just not getting the question.

I'm lost on the meaning of 'short-shelf'. 

If you look inside most line 24 studs or the studs supplied with Pull the Dot assemblies, the inside shelf where the hole is is approximately halfway up the total height.  On low shelf varieties (something I learned about on this forum), this shelf is flush with the bottom and thus an easier reach for eyelets to get through and be expanded.  Two thicknesses of leather with a steel reinforcement tab are too thick to let even an extra-length post rise through the shelf and leave anything to be expanded when the die strikes it (it just pulls even, not through and thus not securely).  I have the longest posts available and can’t get them past, and I’ve relieved a hole on the inside where the stud goes (so it’s really more like one thickness and the steel thumb break tab).

I was hoping somebody had found an outlet that simply sends them USPS, not UPS Ground like DOT does.  

Thank you for the explanation.

I've seen snaps with long posts for going thru thicker leather. I can't remember where but if I do I'll post a link

Long posts I have already.

I’ll post piccies as soon as I get back from my trip today.

you can try Ohio Travel Bag at :www.ohiotravelbag.com

Thanks, I checked their website.  Guess I might have to call ‘em.

agree with JLSleather

if it solves the issue, why not spent 28 bucks? )
28/100=0.28$