Rossr

Inlay on this knife sheath

Knife is a bird and trout style.  Antler walnut, blue dyed box elder red spacers on handle, guard copper and brass.  Rear of the antler I attempted a face carving or goblin if you will

Sheath is brown wicket and Craig skirting, inlay is I think a black snake skin. I have a bag of misc scraps so I'm not sure but I like it.  Deer skin liner.  Detail black leather added on the front too with some.minor stamping.   As always I'm open to how to improve.  

I also debate where the strap should.go.  if I go higher on the handle the knife can slide up. If I go lower it stays in tight but the handle can flop away from the leather when it's on your belt.....

Thanks for looking 

Ross

20190831_131945.jpg

20190831_131925.jpg

20190831_131847.jpg

20190831_132000.jpg

20190826_183806.jpg

I think that is lizard but I could be wrong. Regarding the strap, flip it 180 degrees so it is pointing toward the back and it won't get hung on nearly as much stuff (assuming it is right handed).

17 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

I think that is lizard but I could be wrong. Regarding the strap, flip it 180 degrees so it is pointing toward the back and it won't get hung on nearly as much stuff (assuming it is right handed).

Yep flipping it makes sense. I always debate that too. In some ways I find it easier to open close that way but yep walking along less would catch reversed.  Lizard makes sense looking at it.  

Looks nice. I like it a lot.

12 hours ago, battlemunky said:

I think that is lizard but I could 

Yeah, that's what I thought to.  But these days, they got machines that almost instantaneously "paint" cobra skin to look exactly like python skin, so.... :dunno:

With the shape of that blade, I mighta ran the safety strap THROUGH or BETWEEN the belt loop, make it tougher to contact the strap with the blade.  Keepin' in mind, I'm not the sheath guy... 

58 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Yeah, that's what I thought to.  But these days, they got machines that almost instantaneously "paint" cobra skin to look exactly like python skin, so.... :dunno:

With the shape of that blade, I mighta ran the safety strap THROUGH or BETWEEN the belt loop, make it tougher to contact the strap with the blade.  Keepin' in mind, I'm not the sheath guy... 

Hmm I'm not sure I follow what you mean strap behind the first part of the belt loop.  So it would be attached to the rear of the belt loop then come around.  Maybe I'm picturing it wrong but seems to me it would not hold.it in as tight. The current way is tight enough it wont slide up. However because the strap sits low it can kinda flop away from ya with the handle weight when on the belt.  

The more I look at the inlay I do think it is  real just not snake.  But there are so many ways they make fake skin now its amazing.  

1 hour ago, Rohn said:

Looks nice. I like it a lot.

Thanks!

Man, I LOVE the look of that. It looks like it was made at least 150 years ago and came from some European castle. Love all of the detailing that you put into this. That is an heirloom.

Love the sheath and the knife - nice work!

Gary

I like it all, especially how the belt loop follows the curve of the handle of the knife.

7 hours ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

Man, I LOVE the look of that. It looks like it was made at least 150 years ago and came from some European castle. Love all of the detailing that you put into this. That is an heirloom.

Boy did your comment make me smile Thanks!

6 hours ago, garypl said:

Love the sheath and the knife - nice work!

Gary

Thanks Gary

5 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

I like it all, especially how the belt loop follows the curve of the handle of the knife.

I did that on purpose it just seemed to flow better.  Thank you. 

Edited by Rossr

Hey Rossr, Nice job as always. Your knives remind me of the old English style. i like the carving on the end. Back in the old times the owner of that knife would have used it as his personal seal. Could you make the front part of the retention strap wider in the front and narrow in the back like you have it ? or add a second one up around the top?

1 hour ago, cardinal leather said:

Hey Rossr, Nice job as always. Your knives remind me of the old English style. i like the carving on the end. Back in the old times the owner of that knife would have used it as his personal seal. Could you make the front part of the retention strap wider in the front and narrow in the back like you have it ? or add a second one up around the top?

That is cool using the carving as the seal.   I didnt know that was even a thing.  

Yes the strap could be larger but thinner behind.  interesting thought.  A second strap of course could be done.  Good thoughts

Thanks 

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:18 AM, Rossr said:

A second strap of course could be done.

The main problem IMHO, with a 2nd strap is the need to fasten or unfasten, as needed, 2 straps. Not the best if the knife is needed in a hurry, or constantly being unsheathed and re-sheathed.

Beautiful work. I like both the knife and the sheath. Something about the combination speaks to me. It is certainly something any cutlery aficionado would want to own.    

8 hours ago, bullmoosepaddles said:

Beautiful work. I like both the knife and the sheath. Something about the combination speaks to me. It is certainly something any cutlery aficionado would want to own.    

Very kind Thank you.  I appreciate this much.  I always wonder how good my work is ...is it good enough to sell, will it stand the test of time, am I making items folks like and want to buy.  Have I done all I could to make a high end product.   I'm sure most of us have these thoughts or at least the thought of is it good enough!  Thanks again

11 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

The main problem IMHO, with a 2nd strap is the need to fasten or unfasten, as needed, 2 straps. Not the best if the knife is needed in a hurry, or constantly being unsheathed and re-sheathed.

Yep and I always feel simple is better when possible 

13 hours ago, Rossr said:

Very kind Thank you.  I appreciate this much.  I always wonder how good my work is ...is it good enough to sell, will it stand the test of time, am I making items folks like and want to buy.  Have I done all I could to make a high end product.   I'm sure most of us have these thoughts or at least the thought of is it good enough!  Thanks again

If it functions near as well as it looks. I would certainly see folks buying them.

Might be the sort of thing you could try on Etsy. 

Okay... here's my current thinking on Ross's fine project. 

I personally prefer the direction that the snaps are installed now, because it is natural and easy for the thumb to release the snap. I know the argument about snagging on something but I give little weight to that, unless it is used for bush crafting and I really do not see this knife in that role.

Thinking about the position and number of straps, I think it would be interesting to double the width of the strap and keep the bottom of it where it is now.

Oh, and use two snaps, one above the other. Make the strap as tight as possible but not so tight that it is difficult to snap closed, of course.

nick

Edited by wizard of tragacanth
OCD

1 hour ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

Oh, and use two snaps, one above the other. 

Right after posting this, I thought that a two-snap configuration may work slightly better if the snaps were offset 15 - 30 degrees, so that the top snap opens first, then the bottom snap. That might be easier than trying to un-snap both at the same time.

nick

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

On 9/7/2019 at 10:12 PM, bullmoosepaddles said:

If it functions near as well as it looks. I would certainly see folks buying them.

Might be the sort of thing you could try on Etsy. 

Thanks Bull and yep it will function just fine!

On 9/7/2019 at 11:56 PM, wizard of tragacanth said:

Right after posting this, I thought that a two-snap configuration may work slightly better if the snaps were offset 15 - 30 degrees, so that the top snap opens first, then the bottom snap. That might be easier than trying to un-snap both at the same time.

nick

Interesting thought

Looks great! How did you do the "roll" over detail at the top? I'm new at the sheath thing.

58 minutes ago, Bubblehead said:

Looks great! How did you do the "roll" over detail at the top? I'm new at the sheath thing.

Thanks.

That's deer skin.  Not my idea I learned it from Paul Longs sheath making videos.  Basically you put good side to good side and sew one line across near the top.  Then put contact cement on both bad sides and roll it over the top and glue.  Then cut off the excess deer hide and skive the edges so the deer skin doesn't show.  Then you add the back and stitch the sheath together.  When you roll it you hide that single stitch line too.  Makes a nice look and holds the blade some too.

Ross