AntlerRiverLeather

Hello from Canada

Hello, new member. From Canada. Little reserve of Chippewas of the Thames First Nation. My background in crafting is mostly indigenous goods like buckskin leather goods, moccasins, medicine pouches, purses, drum bags, flute bags, bead work, rattles. In the last few years I have been learning leather tooling through online resources. I hope to learn more here in the vast wealth of knowledge to go through. Attached is something I finished really recently.

drumbag.jpg

WOW! That is seriously nice! Is that stitched inside out, then turned right side out?

Are you able to supply details of the leather, braided strap, the carving, the button looks really nice (maybe handmade?), is your bag lined?

1 hour ago, Rockoboy said:

WOW! That is seriously nice! Is that stitched inside out, then turned right side out?

Are you able to supply details of the leather, braided strap, the carving, the button looks really nice (maybe handmade?), is your bag lined?

It is hand stitched right side out, heavy veg tan gusset, soft 5 oz Gold Elk, 4-5oz front tooling panel, 4 strand round braid same gold elk no pare no core. The button is some kind of live edge branch I got a bunch from a local wood turner pretty cheap for a nice accent. It is not lined.

Edited by AntlerRiverLeather

15 hours ago, AntlerRiverLeather said:

It is hand stitched right side out, heavy veg tan gusset,

Can you show how the gusset fits please. Is the vegtan leather gusset tanned elk-hide or something else?

Hello back at ya from Canada :wavey:  And welcome!  

I'm in BC, where are you from?

Love the bag :spoton:

I love the bag but must question a rose design on what looks a heritage bag design, maybe something more indidunus to your location would be a more interesting insert

38 minutes ago, chrisash said:

I love the bag but must question a rose design on what looks a heritage bag design, maybe something more indidunus to your location would be a more interesting insert

Umm..Chris

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose

note in particular the sentence there..

Most species are native to Asia, with smaller numbers native to Europe, North America, and northwestern Africa

Roses are as native ( and thus indigenous to AntlerRiverLeather from "Canada. Little reserve of Chippewas of the Thames First Nation" ) as Bison, Wolf, Deer and Coyote etc, to name just some of the fauna, and not to mention the vast array of flora .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_bison

Bison range ( for example ) was far greater than TV and Cinema would have you believe..almost all of what people think that they know about cultures and lands of the First Nations, is not told by them..and is mostly inaccurate..

The "First Nations" are comprised of many peoples..once it ( North America and South America ) was all theirs, from the Atlantic ocean to the Pacific ocean, from the Arctic to Tierra del Fuego.

Hello, Bonjour, Dia dhuit*.. to you AntlerRiverLeather..Beautiful sac you made there  :)

*Some ( but not much ) of my Gaeilge I remember ( and it is similar in some ways to Breton )..but no longer enough for conversation.

Edited by mikesc

Nice work. Welcome to the forum.

On 9/3/2019 at 9:45 AM, Rockoboy said:

Can you show how the gusset fits please. Is the vegtan leather gusset tanned elk-hide or something else?

It's already been picked up by the client. I brought the soft leather about half a inch over the heavy gusset. (pre punched heavy gusset, veg tan cowhide) gold elk rubber cemented to the gusset and then a diamond awl to pierce the gold elk and find my pre punched holes and hand sew.

On 9/3/2019 at 11:21 AM, chrisash said:

Thanks. Client approved the design before I started on the tooling. It was chosen for the design by their request. 

On 9/3/2019 at 11:50 AM, mikesc said:

Umm..Chris

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose

note in particular the sentence there..

Roses are as native ( and thus indigenous to AntlerRiverLeather from "Canada. Little reserve of Chippewas of the Thames First Nation" ) as Bison, Wolf, Deer and Coyote etc, to name just some of the fauna, and not to mention the vast array of flora .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_bison

Bison range ( for example ) was far greater than TV and Cinema would have you believe..almost all of what people think that they know about cultures and lands of the First Nations, is not told by them..and is mostly inaccurate..

The "First Nations" are comprised of many peoples..once it ( North America and South America ) was all theirs, from the Atlantic ocean to the Pacific ocean, from the Arctic to Tierra del Fuego.

Hello, Bonjour, Dia dhuit*.. to you AntlerRiverLeather..Beautiful sac you made there  :)

*Some ( but not much ) of my Gaeilge I remember ( and it is similar in some ways to Breton )..but no longer enough for conversation.

Aanii (hello) Thanks for making me feel welcome and thanks for sharing that indeed you are right.                  Miigwetch (thanks)

Hi, another resident of Ontario here!

Very nice bag!

The local Tandy store had some golden elk hide available the second last time I was there. It was absolutely GORGEOUS, but oh, was it EXPENSIVE!! 

In spite of that, it was sold out by the time of my next visit...:(

Where do you get your elk hide, and what did it cost per square foot?

Another question...I am very interested in porcupine quill work. Do you know of anyone who does it, and could help me learn? The sewing looks fairly straightforward. It's cleaning and dyeing the quills I'd like help with.

On 9/16/2019 at 9:54 AM, Sheilajeanne said:

Hi, another resident of Ontario here!

Very nice bag!

The local Tandy store had some golden elk hide available the second last time I was there. It was absolutely GORGEOUS, but oh, was it EXPENSIVE!! 

In spite of that, it was sold out by the time of my next visit...:(

Where do you get your elk hide, and what did it cost per square foot?

Another question...I am very interested in porcupine quill work. Do you know of anyone who does it, and could help me learn? The sewing looks fairly straightforward. It's cleaning and dyeing the quills I'd like help with.

Thanks.

$6 per sq ft. From a guy in Toronto I just met recently having trouble getting more posted out to me right now. However $6-$7 for moose or buffalo in oneida. Trying to get more right now but having trouble it's pow wow season right now coming to a end and they're vendors and it's a traveling circuit. I don't like paying Tandys price on elk or deer. Or anything native heritage it feels like jacked up prices when there's local stuff available. I dabble with quills but I'm not a teacher. I don't know anyone locally teaching it alot local are self taught. It's fairly straightforward with no real secrets to clean though small tub, soap and lukewarm water, and lots and lots of hours to clean carefully by hand and then paper thinned out single layers to dry out and then sort out (this is where you can bulk dye and sort after or sort first and dye your sorted piles for what colors you need.)( I bulk dye big handfuls of what I want and sort it out after because I'm not good at dyeing and some close up and become only really useable for flat work when I dye)20190214_062823_compress5.thumb.jpg.91d9d9324ebda38c0ecc47bfe9602ca1.jpg

Does leather dye work on them?  What sort of dye do you use?

Just now, Sheilajeanne said:

Does leather dye work on them?  What sort of dye do you use?

I use commercial powder pigments kettle point had a selection meant for fabrics that worked really well. I haven't tried leather dye but maybe the water stain offered by ecoflo at tandy may work I would test it before doing a big batch you want non bleeding permanent deep penetrating color. Treat it as a porous delicate fabric when dyeing and I'm sure that many techniques will work.