This is a special sheath. My oldest son wanted to make a knife.  I agreed to help and guide him and he managed a nice knife for his first try.  So it was my pleasure to make him a sheath for it. 

Here it is thoughts welcome

Ross

20190903_010139.jpg

20190903_010035.jpg

20190903_010052.jpg

20190903_010100.jpg

Edited by Rossr

Very nice!  Let’s see the knife.

Kelly

5 minutes ago, farns005 said:

Very nice!  Let’s see the knife.

Kelly

Kelly the first picture shows it by the sheath.  Should be 4 total pics.  

Thank you!

Sorry I skipped right to second pict.  He did a great job, not just for a first knife.  Great thing to get to work with our kids and teach them skill they can use for the rest of their lives, while sharing what we enjoy.  How old is your son?  

2 minutes ago, farns005 said:

Sorry I skipped right to second pict.  He did a great job, not just for a first knife.  Great thing to get to work with our kids and teach them skill they can use for the rest of their lives, while sharing what we enjoy.  How old is your son?  

He just turned 12.  Made the knife while he was 11.  Yes it is great to work with them.  Lot of benefit in learning to do things and make things.   Benefits us who are teaching them too! At least in my opinion 

If your willing I am retired and the wife says very adoptable at this time, if your would be willing to teach me how to make a good looking knife like that.

Great job on both accounts. Thank you for sharing.   

4 hours ago, bullmoosepaddles said:

If your willing I am retired and the wife says very adoptable at this time, if your would be willing to teach me how to make a good looking knife like that.

Great job on both accounts. Thank you for sharing.   

Thank you sir!  Too bad your are in NC.  Guess too far.to adopt at this time hahaha

I really dig those sheathes you been making lately man. That lined look has me intrigued. I need to make a sheath for an ESEE Laser Strike that I'm thinking I may line...and its all your fault!!!

Blame Paul long!  It's his videos I bought and learned from.  I like the lined look. It also means I dont need to wet form them. Nothing wrong with wet forming but the fit is so nice this way. 

There are many folks who do the lined sheaths but Paul does exquisite work in my opinion and has for a long time.  I dont know him but I'm thankful for his videos and work.  

Thanks for the kind words. 

1 hour ago, battlemunky said:

I really dig those sheathes you been making lately man. That lined look has me intrigued. I need to make a sheath for an ESEE Laser Strike that I'm thinking I may line...and its all your fault!!!

Very nice knife and sheath.  It may just be my own preference but the only thing I would change would be to ever so slightly round the and off the point (tip) of the sheath.  I can see in the pictures where it is bending one way or the other but like I said probably just personal preference.  Your son is very lucky, I wish my own dad would have had the skills, patience, time, desire to teach me.

6 hours ago, MarkCdub said:

Very nice knife and sheath.  It may just be my own preference but the only thing I would change would be to ever so slightly round the and off the point (tip) of the sheath.  I can see in the pictures where it is bending one way or the other but like I said probably just personal preference.  Your son is very lucky, I wish my own dad would have had the skills, patience, time, desire to teach me.

I think I you are correct.  My issue lies in the clam shell side and getting that proportioned correctly too.  I feel it should have come higher up a little.  I am a perfectionist and it always bugs me when it's off a bit.  Rounding it may draw the eye away from that issue.  Good thoughts.   Kind words too thank you I'm not patient so it can get frustrating for me helping but it is something I'm glad I can share with my sons. 

5 hours ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

Another nice project, Ross, and it is just so cool that it was done in collaboration with your son!

nick

Thanks Nick 

Rossr, the good thing is it is just leather.  You can design and make sheath 2.0 for very little cost.  As far as how high tge sheeth is, I don't mind it for a 12 Y.O.  it is good for retention and won't accidentally fall out.  The clamshell designs that I have seen dont generally have such a sweeping point on the folded edge if at all.  I like it, maybe ask your sons opinion, and if he would like any changes made to it and get him involved in the leather working process too.

21 hours ago, MarkCdub said:

Rossr, the good thing is it is just leather.  You can design and make sheath 2.0 for very little cost.  As far as how high tge sheeth is, I don't mind it for a 12 Y.O.  it is good for retention and won't accidentally fall out.  The clamshell designs that I have seen dont generally have such a sweeping point on the folded edge if at all.  I like it, maybe ask your sons opinion, and if he would like any changes made to it and get him involved in the leather working process too.

Hi Mark,

He loves it and it's very functional.  one of the great things about this forum.is we can all pick things apart and analyze to help make our next projects better.  I always like the feedback I gain from folks on the boards. 

It is that deep on purpose I never want a knife slipping out while in use afield.  I try to leave just enough to grip and pull out!

Appreciate the thoughts 

Really liking these sheaths.  Nice!

YinTx