G'Day,

I had to make x2 M/C tool bags this week( you know, front fork jobs) , straight forward, laced, plain black, nothing fancy....but, the customer wanted a wire core to go through the attaching straps ( to the bike)  to prevent some 'undesirable' stealing his tool bags ( all the good that will do ) . This is what I call a PITA job, a (  ' Pain In The A.....' )  job . I couldn't find woven wire ribbon, so, I improvised. I got some 2mm galvanised  wire  rope ...stuff .   The straps are  4mm veg tan  20mm wide and I used a groover on the  inside glued  the wire in,  then covered with  layer of 1.2mm glued on  , dyed, and machine stitched...albeit precariously , as  you can see, there wasn't much room for the needle to go between the edge and the wire.  It took me yonks just to cut the  *&^%#  wire, my wire cutters went blunt in the process. 

There must be a better way, but then again, , I hope I don't get another job like it  :) I'll post a the finished product later. 

HS 

Leather Pics Sept. 2019 003.jpg

Next time you have to cut that stuff..use an angle grinder with a thin disc..or a Dremel with a diamond disc..Making your own cable ( cut from a roll ) is cheaper ( but indeed more of a PITA  ) than buying computer security cables..commendable perseverance there. :)

I guess buying cable cutters from the Big B is not really an option for a one-off, or very rare job, but that is what you needed.

He just wanted something to keep the roos and koalas from chewing the bags off.

13 minutes ago, DSloop said:

He just wanted something to keep the roos and koalas from chewing the bags off.

You forgot the Drop Bears..most ferocious animal in all of Australia..they could bite through the cable.

9 hours ago, Handstitched said:

G'Day,

I had to make x2 M/C tool bags this week( you know, front fork jobs) , straight forward, laced, plain black, nothing fancy....but, the customer wanted a wire core to go through the attaching straps ( to the bike)  to prevent some 'undesirable' stealing his tool bags ( all the good that will do ) . This is what I call a PITA job, a (  ' Pain In The A.....' )  job . I couldn't find woven wire ribbon, so, I improvised. I got some 2mm galvanised  wire  rope ...stuff .   The straps are  4mm veg tan  20mm wide and I used a groover on the  inside glued  the wire in,  then covered with  layer of 1.2mm glued on  , dyed, and machine stitched...albeit precariously , as  you can see, there wasn't much room for the needle to go between the edge and the wire.  It took me yonks just to cut the  *&^%#  wire, my wire cutters went blunt in the process. 

There must be a better way, but then again, , I hope I don't get another job like it  :) I'll post a the finished product later. 

HS 

Leather Pics Sept. 2019 003.jpg

Check out my post "Motoko3 at last" in "show off". I did exactly that. I used 2mm stainless steel wire rope. It's easy to cut with side cutters etc just tape the ends well before you cut. If the aim is to stop someone cutting through it then the ends won't matter as long as you've got at least one turn around the D ring. The strap is taking the weight

Edited by toxo

G'Day, 

thats a great idea toxo, I never thought about putting a piece of tape where I'm going to cut.I don't use this  stuff very often, as you can tell.  I'll check out your link later , thanks  :)

@Rockoboy yes, thats what I needed for sure, and not forgetting I am some hours away from the Big B .  But if I get another job like it ( hope not) , I'll invest in a few decent tools, I'm a bit over due for some newies. And I checked on those , they're not that expensive either .  If I ask my local hardware shop, I'm sure they could get some in for me, they're pretty good in that regard,  ya typical country hardware. 

@mikesc those ' drop bears' are unpredictable, they come out from ...well, ..anywhere  !!  :) I did try an angle grinder, but it just frayed the ends badly. Although I didn't use a diamond disc. 

Thanks  to all :specool:

HS 

10 hours ago, Handstitched said:

G'Day, 

thats a great idea toxo, I never thought about putting a piece of tape where I'm going to cut.I don't use this  stuff very often, as you can tell.  I'll check out your link later , thanks  :)

@Rockoboy yes, thats what I needed for sure, and not forgetting I am some hours away from the Big B .  But if I get another job like it ( hope not) , I'll invest in a few decent tools, I'm a bit over due for some newies. And I checked on those , they're not that expensive either .  If I ask my local hardware shop, I'm sure they could get some in for me, they're pretty good in that regard,  ya typical country hardware. 

@mikesc those ' drop bears' are unpredictable, they come out from ...well, ..anywhere  !!  :) I did try an angle grinder, but it just frayed the ends badly. Although I didn't use a diamond disc. 

Thanks  to all :specool:

HS 

Sidecutters will do it easily, the type that look like pincers, that you use to cut copper rivets to size before doming them. If you've nothing else a sharp cold chisel will do the job. Just remember to tape up tightly.

Edited by toxo

I think this would be considered a ' weird job' .

Anyone seen these ??  I was asked to make a ' pendant'  for this ' WiFi'....thing . 

Well, according to the client...what sense I could make of what she was telling me.....its sorta like a ' WiFi ' ....repellent ??   You wear it around your neck and it protects you from the 5G .....alien... ....thingys    :dunno:  I wished I hadn't asked, cos it took 20 mins for her to explain it. 

When I removed the paper from the adhesive backing, I saw a ' criss cross' of wires , like on a circuit board on the back  .  

I just charged her $20 bucks  for it , too weird for me mate .  I did make a   black swimming pool for some actual witches once , that spooked everyone from sales to manufacturing ( me included )  , so this falls in the same category  of weeeiii..eerrrd !!!! :wacko:

HS

WiFi Pendant 001.jpg

Edited by Handstitched

... customers...

@Grumpymann A job is a job, I don't care  how f****g weird it is  :rofl: 

Just another happy customer  :)

HS

43 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

I think this would be considered a ' weird job' .

Anyone seen these ??  I was asked to make a ' pendant'  for this ' WiFi'....thing . 

Well, according to the client...what sense I could make of what she was telling me.....its sorta like a ' WiFi ' ....repellent ??   You wear it around your neck and it protects you from the 5G .....alien... ....thingys    :dunno:  I wished I hadn't asked, cos it took 20 mins for her to explain it. 

When I removed the paper from the adhesive backing, I saw a ' criss cross' of wires , like on a circuit board on the back  .  

I just charged her $20 bucks  for it , too weird for me mate .  I did make a   black swimming pool for some actual witches once , that spooked everyone from sales to manufacturing ( me included )  , so this falls in the same category  of weeeiii..eerrrd !!!! :wacko:

HS

WiFi Pendant 001.jpg

you need to do some research before thinking this is weird. 5g is using the same technology as microwave ovens and the military microwave weapons, and hundreds of scientists say it hasn't been tested for harmful radiation and is dangerous. Just as we have found older technologies were dangerous to humans we will also find danger in new un proven technologies after the fact. 

What may assist is that in sea fishing shops you can buy plastic coated steel trace wire which is small enough to hide away and strong enough to help keep a shape

While everyone is ' panic buying' toilet paper, maybe what I should be buying is ' tin foil'  :) 

Does a tin workshop count ?   :)

HS