Hello, I am pretty new to leather work so I've been soaking up as many youtube videos as I can trying to learn. I found this forum while looking for inspiration to make this and found some gorgeous work here. This sheath was made for a guy at work that wanted to hang his knife off the horn of his saddle while riding but could also wear it on a belt from time to time. I decided the best way to achieve this was as a baldric style rig. The leather is 8oz veg tanned. My stitching chisel is labled "4.0mm" so I'm assuming that's the spacing and I used .8mm thread. (If any of this sounds wrong, please correct me. I'm still learning.) After looking at other's work on this forum and comparing the cheap chinese stamps I bought as a set off of amazon to others I've found at hobby lobby, I've decided that my tools aren't "crisp" enough and are not leaving great impressions. I plan on a better basketweave stamp as my next purchase. Over all, I learned a lot making this and am fairly happy with the results. I did make plenty of mistakes so don't look too close. Hopefully I can avoid those in the future.

IMG_20190819_063626.jpg.bbc30818beb420505d88b95e9778b540.jpgIMG_20190819_063501.jpg.8636efee3382877de0937eac47242226.jpgIMG_20190819_063436.jpg.c68492d8dfc36be08cadd565f5690b56.jpg

Your off to a good start!

Nice :)

Yes, you are off to a good start. That is an interesting design, I have never seen anything like it.

I like the contrast of the colors. What is the stamp on the back? Is that you maker's mark? It makes for a nice detail.

My only suggestion (and a tiny one) is to maybe round off the corners of the strap, above the rivets, rather than leaving them square.

That stitch spacing looks pretty small, but maybe not. because I don't know how long the sheath is, but I'm guessing that your 4mm chisels are tip-to-tip of the tines, with 2mm in between the tines.

If so, Tandy would call those 2mm chisels.

If only we could get some uniformity on such naming standards, it sure would make things less confusing.

nick

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

That is a really cool design. The small imperfections here and there you'll work out as you make more stuff. Keep it up!

I cannot fault it, other than your basketweave. With a better stamp, you will get more definition. Keep the good work.

For better stamps, look at @arbalet12 on the site, he has a post called Stamps for sell in the marketplace.

Very nice work. I really appreciate the curvature of the belt loop that matches that of the handle.