willford

Chinese Imported Sewing Machines

I've received a couple of quotes via alibaba but I'm still hoping more will come in. So far it looks to be under $2,000 for a complete unit and $1600 for the head only. I was advised to talk to a customs broker and get them to handle it at this end and one thing I was told is if there's any wood inside the crate, like a table, then it will be quarantined and will have a significant extra cost added on! If I bring in just the head it's not a problem, and as a bonus there's no customs duty on sewing machines, only GST.

Edited by dikman

28 minutes ago, dikman said:

one thing I was told is if there's any wood inside the crate, like a table, then it will be quarantined

Wouldn't this also apply to the shipping crate/box?

Crates can be treated from the outside, if needed, but if there is wood internal, then it has to be dismantled and the user must pay for government workers must be paid for their time and the treatment.

And do we pay for our government workers time.

Bert.

What Bert said. I was told the fumigation is an expensive thing to have done, and I have no reason to doubt it.

I've just heard back from a chap who sells the Typical brand machines and he can do a 441 head unit for $3,000. This would include a 12 month Australian warranty and he has someone here in Adelaide who does any warranty work so it doesn't have to be shipped anywhere by me. Something else to consider.

Edited by dikman

So far I have prices of $1600, $1579, $1400, $1392, and $1111 (Australian $). The last one is branded SKSEW. There are many more sellers on alibaba, with prices all over the place.

These prices are for a 441 head unit only, FOB. I'm estimating shipping/customs at $500-$600 air freight.

Edited by dikman
Stuffed up my figures!!

They do seem great prices, but interesting on how you eventually select the supplier. are you going to the factory or a agent/retailer

The Australian embassy in China may have some information on what are seen as good machines in their commercial department, maybe worth a email or two

Aussie with 12 month guarantee at £3000 I guess would have cost including shipping, inspection etc close to £2000, so a selling price of 3000 is not that bad of a deal as they probably have other overheads as well

On 11/5/2019 at 7:43 PM, Wizcrafts said:

Wouldn't this also apply to the shipping crate/box?

This only applies to wood like 2x4's ,if the crate is made from plywood or laminated wood is ok since bugs can't live in it.

Interesting, Bob, never knew that. Could explain why some of the crates are made from the cheapest plywood they can find!

Chris, it's a dilemma. The cheapest one has positive reviews and reading their company profile sound pretty good. The dearer ones have been on alibaba longer, but does that make them any better.:dunno:

Two more prices, $938 and $1269. The hard part is trying to make sure they are actual factories or simply resellers. This is becoming quite an experience :rolleyes2:. I definitely intend to buy a 441 as I've convinced myself I need it and I've just sold my 111W117 (to make room - well not really but it sounds good).

Buy local, support local business... it may cost a bit more up front, but you’ll save in the long run! 

That is all and good if the prices are competitive, but when there is up to 100 percent difference, then that is save me anything in the long run?

Bert.

Edited by Bert51
spelling

tt, while I agree with your sentiments Bert is right. If the difference was $2-300 I'd buy local, but I'm looking at a minimum saving of $1000, and depending which one I buy could be up to $1400 by buying from China. I don't know about you but that's a significant amount of money to me.

I like to buy local when possible as it is great to support local businesses but the prices have to be fairly competitive. The magic number for me is $200 CAD on expensive items else I look elsewhere. The method of costing some items locally of $1 for the item plus a $1 for profit plus a $1 for "dealing with the customer" just doesn't cut it anymore.

kgg

Trouble is that shops have huge overheads that need paying for and most governments also make them unpaid tax collectors with loads of paperwork

People also abuse the goodwill of the owners where they call on technical information for free and then say thank you and go off and buy the item they want on the internet rather than with the guy who gave free advice

I would imagine in the US the increased import tax has hurt sewing machine sales yet the shops still have the same overheads to pay for 

In my case I ask for a quote for the same model Juki, some needles, spare bobbin holder, extra bobbins, couple of spools of thread, binder with swing arm from a fairly local dealer in Ottawa (about an hours drive) and a dealer in Toronto about 4 hours away. The difference was approximately $1000 dollars in the difference. Both dealers are in major centres in the same province so their overhead / paperwork / taxes etc. should be about the same. Why the difference, the dealer in Toronto didn't sell at a loss so it pays to shop around.

kgg

1 hour ago, kgg said:

Why the difference, the dealer in Toronto didn't sell at a loss so it pays to shop around.

Different dealers have different overheads (rent or property taxes, business taxes, electricity, heating fuel, phones, Internet, employees making above avg hours wages, employee benefits,  insurance). Also, larger dealerships selling larger volumes of a particular brand may get a price break when they order multiple machines at a time from the wholesaler; i.e., volume discount at the wholesale level. Then, dealers have to pay shipping from the wholesale source and do paperwork, pay fees and import duty and taxes up front if they imported the machines themselves. Finally, the new machines usually have to be picked up from a terminal or warehouse, involving fuel expense, vehicle insurance, fleet maintenance, then uncrated, degreased, assembled, lubed, timed and sewn off before they are sold.

I used to work for an industrial sewing machine shop when I lived in Toronto. They sold tons of Juki machines of every shape and function. There were a lot of employees and trucks. I know the ropes.

I've been trying to get a price out of Keestar, should be simple, just ask for FOB price like all the others. Nope, they want to know what I'm making, what type of leather I'm using and want my email address to send me literature. I told them I want a 441-type machine, what is so hard about giving me their FOB price?:dunno:

Finally got a price from Keestar, $1310. She suggested an Adler clone that they sell would be better - but at double the price I think not!!

So far the cheapest price is $938.

Those prices are better then dealer quoted prices, now all you have to do workout which one to deal with.

I wonder if you could ask if they test the machine before shipping?

Bert.

My guess would be that the most they would do is turn over the machine by hand to make sure it at least moves before leaving the factory.:lol:

If it's bought from the factory that assembles them then I guess there's a better chance that it will have at least been examined as the final stage. If it comes from a reseller, and apparently there are quite a few on alibaba, then the reseller wouldn't check it they would basically on-ship it as it came from the factory. Keestar, while a bit more expensive than some, sounds promising. They apparently manufacture a wide range of sewing machines and the woman I've swapped emails with said that if there is any problem with damaged parts they simply send them out. At least it's a name I've heard of.

I've just emailed the customs broker to ask for a quote based on this machine, although the size/weight won't vary regardless of where I buy it from.

Keestar makes some pretty good machines.  I would go with them.   I recommended their Adler clone some years ago to a company and they have been quite happy with it.  Please know the Adler clone is a more expensive machine to produce.   You are not talking a lot of money here between the companies on the 441 Clone.  Go with one that is proven for the extra money.   Some of these companies are unknown as to what kind of quality they produce.  I have seen Keestar machines and they look good and work good.  Your call.  Keep in mind you will have to go thru the machine when you get it just like our dealers listed here do.  Only way to guarantee you do not have problems in the future.

Glenn

Thanks for your input, Glenn. I would love to buy the cheapest, just to see what it's like, but like most of us I have to try and get it right the first time. The little voice inside is saying Keestar, and I've ignored this voice in the past and got things wrong! I've always intended to go through whatever I get, to both check it out and to get familiar with it. I've managed to resurrect/adjust a few machines now so I don't consider it as a big deal.

Now I'll need to find a source for extra feet, needles and thread (thread heavier than #138 is not that common here). More expense.:lol:

If the Keestar Adler copy is half as good as my 105, then it's a good machine.

Bert.

5 hours ago, dikman said:

Now I'll need to find a source for extra feet, needles and thread (thread heavier than #138 is not that common here). More expense.

Can't you buy those items from Keestar? Surely they offer presser feet, throat plates, edge guides, thread and needles for the machines they are cloning... Or, do they expect buyers of their machines to buy feet and other accessories from CowboySew/Hightex?