Ken Nelson

Juki Pro 2000 noise

I have a Juki Pro 2000, one of the older machines when they were being sold in Harrison, ID.  This machine set in my house for about 7 or 8 months and now has a slight grinding noise  that seems to be coming from the handwheel side of the machine.  Is worse when sewing than when unthreaded.    It isn't very loud but I don''t want to cause worse problems than what they are now.  Machine sews great. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.  There are no heavy machine mechanics within reasonable driving distance of me.  Thanks.

Maybe it need more oil?

Interesting. I would pull the inspection plate from the back of the machine and see if it gets louder. Also look for a loose part or screw that might have fallen or gotten wedged. 

I agree that most machines do not get oiled enough. 

Under oiling is not the case with my machines.   I have soaked this machine with oil.  taken the rear plate off and I can not figure out for sure where the noise is coming from. looked and looked at it.  I am stumped!!!

Maybe have someone else run the machine while you look and listen. Better yet remove the belt and have them hand wheel the machine. I know with the bull there is a bearing that runs in a groove on the hand wheel that has to be greased. Not sure on the juki. 

Maybe your flywheel has loosened??

Nope, I haven't found the problem.  Checked out a lot o stuff, went through and oiled it completely and checked all bolts and screws.  Nothing found.    Thanks for the ideas though.   Hope more weigh in on this.

Do you have a stethoscope might help you find it. Pull the cone off the tip and lousy move the hose end around if you don’t have one most auto parts stores or drug stores sell cheap ones. 

You can chase a noise by using a screwdriver with a plastic hand grip (not rubber) place the handle  just behind the ear and use the tip of the driver to place on expected parts a longer screwdriver is better

Edited by chrisash

"Pull the cone off the tip and lousy move the hose end around if you don’t have one most auto parts stores or drug stores sell cheap ones."
you don't need a stethoscope..just a piece of vinyl tube ( like aquarium hose ) about 50 cm long.put one open end ( flat against the machine, so that it "seals" to the part you want to listen to ) the other end , you put loosely into your ear ( like "in ear" headphones ) ..Move the machine end around until you can "zoom in" on the area the noise is coming from..The "diaphragm" ( cone end ) of a stethoscope just acts as a sonic concentrator , the tubes act as the magnifying channels to get the sound to your ear..The "screwdriver" "trick" ( old mechanic's "lore" ) does much the same thing, but, it works better with a large handled screwdriver ( where the shaft goes right through the handle ) resting against the open part of the ear( not behind the ear) like headphones.Behind the ear works OK for low pitch noises ( via "bone inductance" ) but not so well for higher pitched sounds as if you put the handle end to the ear..without actually sticking it in your ear far enough to damage your ear :)

Make sure that your hair does not get caught in any moving parts, and that any moving parts do not hit you in the eye , nose, or elsewhere on the face , head, fingers etc..

Edited by mikesc