TBigLug

Tobacco Pouch

Has anyone made a simple tobacco pouch? I want to make something that is sealed enough not to spill tobacco in my pocket or bag, smooth bottomed to make scooping the tobacco into my pipe easier (no seam at the bottom to trap flakes), big enough to hold several ounces of tobacco, a pipe, lighter and tamper and doesn't have zippers. I'm hoping to do something that folds on itself, or has a cord that wraps around to secure it or maybe a strap and buckle. Has anyone made one before, have a pattern or advice regarding leather thickness or how to do the ends. Thanks.

No bottom seam...I know what you mean. I saw this and thought it might be modified. Make two compartments. Back to back. One for tobacco and one for pipe and things. From the making leather cases volume one Al Strohlman, 61941-01, pages 102-103. Page two on next post.

Al_Stolman_1.pdf

Page two. It will not let me upload page two. Too large. But you probably have the book anyways. Matthew.

Hi Tbiglug  I remember my Grandpa had a tobacco pouch made out of a cat,s bladder.  No seam,  had a draw string and very soft to the touch.  Now if you're a heavy smoker and know a butcher  you could request the size you need i.e sheep, goat, yearling bull, largest of all ask for "Ferdinand's"Jewelry box". Make compartments for you pipe, lighter and whatever else maybe a wedge of apple to keep the tobacco fresh. Still have room for a drawstring.  Good Luck!!  LOL

Merry Xmas and a Better New Year to all

Layo

I smoked for over 20 years....quit less than a year ago. The last decade or so I rolled my own so I made a tobacco pouch to hold my shake. In the end I used a heavy duty ziplock bag in the pouch to keep my shake moist and a long slighted flap to keep down spillage.

Still have one of those pouches....... DAMN I MISS SMOKING!

4 hours ago, Grumpymann said:

I smoked for over 20 years....quit less than a year ago. The last decade or so I rolled my own so I made a tobacco pouch to hold my shake. In the end I used a heavy duty ziplock bag in the pouch to keep my shake moist and a long slighted flap to keep down spillage.

Still have one of those pouches....... DAMN I MISS SMOKING!

I too rolled my own, for close to 40 years. I made a nice leather pouch, but without a liner, the tobacco dries out in less than a day.

I also quit, 15 months ago. I miss it sometimes, but I spend that money on rifles now.

I've not made any toby pouches yet because I've been wondering whether the leather will infuse odd flavours to the tobacco or contaminate it in some way due to the additives or finishes in the leather. I'd probably not use chrome tanned leather for a pouch, though I do have a chrome tan sock for one of my churchwardens.

I guess lining the pouch with food-grade plastic material would address the issues of tobacco contamination and freshness, but I never got around to order such material.

Doesn't affect me, as I pack my pipe at home before going out, but at one time I wanted to sell pouches to other smokers.