TLP

width for mens belts

Are there standard widths for mens belts?

not really. I've done from 3/4 inch wide thru to 2.5 inch. Depends on what the customer wants

This is just my opinion, there are no hard rules. Just think about proportion to the waist size and what it is used for. As an example, you wouldn't want a 1" dress belt on a guy with a 48" waist.

Also, be aware of the size of the belt loops on the pants. Blue jeans will accept a 1.5" belt but dress pants may not. 

1" -- for a smaller man's belt

1.25"  -- for an average man's belt

1.5" -- for a gun belt or big guy

2" to 3" for a police duty belt or really big guys

nick

Edited by wizard of tragacanth

If you are thinking of making some belts for 'stock' and not-to-order I would make some in 1.25" and some in 1.75"

Wranglers (and why would anyone wear anything else?) will take up to 1.5 inches. Slim guys can easily wear 1.25, but only go smaller ( 1 inch or 1 inch tapered to 3/4) for dress wear.  Inch and three quarters will no work.

6 hours ago, TLP said:

Not really.  Just remember that anything over 1-1/2 inches is not going to fit in the belt loops of most dress slacks.  Jeans are a bit wider, but even then, 2 inches is about the widest .  I personally stick to 1-1/4 inch, 1 inch and sometimes 3/4 inch.

Also remember that it will have to fit the buckle you buy (unless you make your own buckles)/

Edited by casaerwin
omission

Interesting.

The OP doesn't say where he is located.

Another difference between our countries. 

I've not yet come across any male trousers, of any sort, which will not take 1.75 inch [ 45mm ] wide belt. A lot of belts I made were in the 36 to 42mm widths [ 1.5 to 1.65 inches approx] with some to 1.75 and to 2 inch. 1.25 and under were rarely wanted except by medieval re-enactors

Yeah, I don't know why people do not reveal their location. It is often helpful to know, in order to give them good advice. Anyway, I understand if they are in Witness Protection or On-the-Run from the law! :lol:

I only make gun belts and they are all 1.5" but if someone wanted a dress belt, I may think about 1.25" if they are not over-weight. I would consider 3/4" if they were wearing Capri's! :rofl:

nick

All the male customers I've made belts for have requested 1.5". Most ladies have been 1.25" but a few have wanted 1.5"

1 hour ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

I only make gun belts and they are all 1.5" but if someone wanted a dress belt, I may think about 1.25" if they are not over-weight. I would consider 3/4" if they were wearing Capri's! :rofl:

again the difference. To most in the UK Capri means a car made by Ford,  https://www.google.com/search?q=ford+capri&rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBGB772GB772&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjz_f7bxL3kAhUzoXEKHR-4D0gQ_AUIEigB&biw=1366&bih=625     or just maybe an island in the Mediterranean sea  https://www.google.com/search?q=capri&rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBGB772GB772&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjz5Y30xL3kAhXuRxUIHZpHC7YQ_AUIEigB&biw=1366&bih=625  but I can't imagine anyone wearing either of those, with a belt or without!

10 hours ago, TLP said:

In my experience you would best look at your local buckle suppliers range. Here in Australia 30mm has a very wide range for dress belts which can often be a clip on style and sometimes reversible. 38mm(1 1/2") is very common but more for the casual jeans type wear. 32mm (1 1/4") is the next most common width range and can go suit dress or casual and I do a lot in 35mm but that size range is a lot less available.

9 hours ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

In the U.S. Capri's are tight fitting ladies pants that stop just below the knee. However, I have seen some men wearing them lately...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capri_pants

Yeah I don't understand that whole "not shorts, just trousers that aren't long enough" thing. Call me old fashioned, but I wear trousers that touch the top of my boots. And if it's hot enough for shorts, or I'm doing something involving lots of water or mud, shorts means "short" i.e just long enough to not get arrested. The sort of shorts that wouldn't look out of place on a chap patrolling the southern African bush wearing just them, some webbing and a G3.

Oh right, belts. I recommend 1.5" for most jeans and chinos, narrower for smarter trousers and wider for cargos/combats. Stock belts are 1" and 1.5" wide, but I've done them as narrow as 0.5" for commissions. 1" or 0.75" were popular before the 1970s for men's slacks -- think high waisted Oxford bags, or Joe Friday boring a criminal into submission.

Inch and a half for a gun belt???  Wonder what they're carrying.  The western rigs that I make (call them cowboy style if you like) are either 2.5 or 3", depending on what goes in the holster, and of course what the customer asks for. 

10 hours ago, SaddleBags said:

Inch and a half for a gun belt???  Wonder what they're carrying.  The western rigs that I make (call them cowboy style if you like) are either 2.5 or 3", depending on what goes in the holster, and of course what the customer asks for. 

I actually forget how many people still holster a pair of 6 irons these days! I have never been involved in Cowboy Action Shooting, nor have I ever been to such an event. All of my firearm's experience is from a Concealed Weapons, Self Defense perspective. 

The belts that I was referring to are made for Concealed Weapons, so they kinda look like a normal 1.5"  belt but they are thick, sometimes as much as 1/4". They are usually only holding up one gun, and maybe one or two, loaded magazines. 

My 9mm handgun, loaded with a 15 round magazine, weighs somewhere around 2.5 lbs.

14 hours ago, Matt S said:

Yeah I don't understand that whole "not shorts, just trousers that aren't long enough" thing. Call me old fashioned, but I wear trousers that touch the top of my boots. And if it's hot enough for shorts, or I'm doing something involving lots of water or mud, shorts means "short" i.e just long enough to not get arrested. The sort of shorts that wouldn't look out of place on a chap patrolling the southern African bush wearing just them, some webbing and a G3.

I totally agree with your clothing choice, Matt. I was actually making fun of the younger guys that wear this Capri style recently. It looks very effeminate to me after seeing it for years as a ladies pant. Guess I should've used a Smiley Face on that comment.

Now you have to educate me and tell me what a G3 is. Around here it is a new model of pistol :lol:

nick

HK G3, nice assault rifle.  image.png.1e45d634c5ada0a140351ba1e6f685a8.png

My bad, Wizard,  I really hadn't considered a dress belt that will handle a weapon as a gun belt.  Guess that's just the cowboy in me.  Other that the language barrier, I guess we're on the same page.

No worries SaddleBags. Just the difference between Western 6-Irons and City Slicker Concealed Carry. We only know what we are familiar with... or something like that.

nick