AlexOstacchini

Western Tooled Case Thing

Hi all

First time posting something that isn't a big batch. This is a tooled case made as a present for a friend- I had originally sized it so it to be used as a fancy pencil case but due to some poor planning  there are some gaps at the sides and i'm not sure how well it would work for that. No time left to alter but I guess it could be used for glasses or tools or as a clutch or anything really- not for me to decide but i'm sure something will fit in it... This was built over a couple of weeks worth of lunch breaks at work so didn't have the time I would've liked, but maybe i'll reuse the patterns when I'm freed up again. 

Technical specs- 2.5ishmm veg tan lined with thin upholstery stuff, which is also used for the side panels. Hand stitched with waxed linen. First time using bar grounders which was fun, haven't learnt all the do's and don't's with them yet but i expect it will become the go to backgrounding method from now on.

I hope you like it, and any questions or critiques fire away. 

Thanks!

Alex

69631791_2572828452775884_7948808159252971520_n.jpg

69843324_2572826629442733_757614844986785792_n.jpg

70168312_2572828122775917_8950263514702807040_n.jpg

69390726_2572826642776065_7876274480975183872_n.jpg

WOW! You did a great job. I like the depth of the carving. Bargrounding? I am undecided on at the moment, but overall a great item, done well.

Beautiful work. If I may ask, what did you use as a resist? 

That looks great! I've only bar grounded once and I prefer it. It is a lot more efficient than it appears it would be. I figured it'd take forever but it knocks it out pretty quickly.

That looks fantastic!

Thanks all

10 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

Bargrounding? I am undecided on at the moment

7 hours ago, battlemunky said:

I've only bar grounded once and I prefer it. It is a lot more efficient than it appears it would be

I was uncertain for a long time about it, especially as I had to order tools from the US and they were not cheap! But overall I liked it on other people's work so took the plunge.  I am sure there are techniques and established rules when using them which I have not grasped yet- so far they seem great for small gaps but not sure of the best way to fill larger areas without looking 'patchy' (not sure of the right word here..). Some practice needed I think

I agree on the efficiency aspect, they seem very fast despite how small the stamps are.

10 hours ago, TSes said:

what did you use as a resist

Thanks- tan kote, with another coat applied after the antique

Cheers

Alex

Darn... I wish I could dot that well on floral carving...

Great job!

Vikefan

On 9/7/2019 at 2:50 PM, AlexOstacchini said:

lined with thin upholstery stuff, which is also used for the side panels

Is the upholstery material glued to the entire inside? If so that's pretty impressive to me as I can't see any seam between that and the thicker material at all from your pictures.

Many thanks

On 10/12/2019 at 5:34 PM, JuntoPi said:

Is the upholstery material glued to the entire inside? If so that's pretty impressive to me as I can't see any seam between that and the thicker material at all from your pictures.

Yes, for this I used contact adhesive over the entire inside. Unfortunately there is some creasing at the folding point when it closes and this can be seen in the pictures, but i don't know if much can be done about that :/ The seams were sanded and burnished together once they were glued and a few layers of edge coat helps to blend them together- not perfect by any means as I don't enjoy sanding at all and i'm sure could have gone to a much finer grit, but enough to smooth out the worst areas. Thank you for the compliment :)

Alex

Excellent work Alex. Sheridan style tooling isn't always my favourite when there's loads of it but when used like this it looks really good.