utah leather

mixing dye colors

I would like some advice on trying to make the dye color tan, Feibings tan turns out orange. I tried mixing several colors but no luck.

use dye reducer

use dye reducer to the feibings tan dye and it should acually look tan not orange ? what type of other stuff can you use to cut the dye ?

A quick look at Angelus dyes (https://angelusdirect.com/collections/angelus-dye-1/products/tan-leather-dye) also shows a tan.
Purchaser reviews posted there  indicate that at least one user considered the Angelus tan also too orange when applied full strength. So it looks like reducing the dye strength might be the answer here.
(Angelus also sells a "neutral" or colorless dye reducer-- <https://angelusdirect.com/collections/angelus-dye-1/products/neutral-leather-dye>-- It's formulated for Angelus and may not work as desired with Fiebings products.)

27 minutes ago, DJole said:

- It's formulated for Angelus and may not work as desired with Fiebings products.

Angelus makes great stuff.  Fiebings makes great stuff.  Mixing the two is NOT resulting in great stuff. :o

There will be a couple here shortly to tell you it's the same thing.  Lemme just call BULL right now.  Not the same, and not great together.

9 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Angelus makes great stuff.  Fiebings makes great stuff.  Mixing the two is NOT resulting in great stuff. :o

There will be a couple here shortly to tell you it's the same thing.  Lemme just call BULL right now.  Not the same, and not great together.

Heh! :17:

On 9/9/2019 at 4:42 AM, HeatherAthebyne said:

I've used denatured alcohol to dilute Angelus dyes before. Does anyone know whether that's a viable option for Fiebing's as well?

I've used denatured to dilute Fiebing's dyes.  Works well for me.

YinTx

Orange is too bright and rich.  You need to get some of that intensity out.  Dilute with Dye reducer or alcohol.  If that doesnt get you far enough then set some aside and try mixing in a drop or two of blue or black dye.

Edited by johnv474

Denatured alcohol in the UK appears to be methylated spirit and coloured blue, does this colour effect the dye colour or is there another version of denatured alcohol?

Is Surgical spirits the same

For your purposes ..Yes

4 hours ago, chrisash said:

Denatured alcohol in the UK appears to be methylated spirit and coloured blue, does this colour effect the dye colour or is there another version of denatured alcohol?. . . 

The meths I buy is purple coloured and this does not show in either dye nor acrylic paint I thin with it. 

An alternative is IPA which is totally clear and sometimes cheaper per L

On 10/4/2019 at 7:48 PM, johnv474 said:

Orange is too bright and rich.  You need to get some of that intensity out.  Dilute with Dye reducer or alcohol.  If that doesnt get you far enough then set some aside and try mixing in a drop or two of blue or black dye.

thanks , I will try this.

umm, to darken orange add red, to lighten it add yellow