mason1800

Anyone selling a Skiving machine (Fortuna, Nippy)?

Im looking to buy my first skiving machine for fine leather work. Looking for a reliablle brand (Fortuna, Nippy) , a brand I can get replacement parts in case i need them. Also one with a top and bottom feed rollers. Any suggestions? 

Somewhere i can keep an eye out for? (websites, Forums or craigslist)?

Any info is appriciated.

rick 

Ferg here on the forum was selling his skiving machine in the past, it has top and bottom feed but it was not a Fortuna or a Nippy. Maybe you could ask if it is still for sale?.

11 minutes ago, mason1800 said:

Im looking to buy my first skiving machine for fine leather work. Looking for a reliablle brand (Fortuna, Nippy) , a brand I can get replacement parts in case i need them. Also one with a top and bottom feed rollers. Any suggestions? 

Somewhere i can keep an eye out for? (websites, Forums or craigslist)?

Any info is appriciated.

rick 

Hey Rick, I am curious as to whether a top and bottom feed roller machine is good for "Fine" leather work. As far as I know they are for handling the thicker tougher leathers more so. I run a roller foot on top of mine mostly but it is not a feeding roller. Fine leathers (garment/upholstery)do tend to stick to the bottom feed roller more often and come back up to wreck your job so I will also recommend getting one with a suction (aspirator).TechSew  and Campbell Randall have them and the latter shows a good parts supply on their website.

22 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Hey Rick, I am curious as to whether a top and bottom feed roller machine is good for "Fine" leather work. As far as I know they are for handling the thicker tougher leathers more so. I run a roller foot on top of mine mostly but it is not a feeding roller. Fine leathers (garment/upholstery)do tend to stick to the bottom feed roller more often and come back up to wreck your job so I will also recommend getting one with a suction (aspirator).TechSew  and Campbell Randall have them and the latter shows a good parts supply on their website.

Thank @RockyAussie  , I'll look into these brands. Do you think just a bottom roller feed with aspirator is suffice? I had, liked the thought, of having a feed roller on top and bottom to manage the feed, but if its not needed I can look into other models and save some money. I will check on the aspirator function too.

I will be making bags, wallets, totes and so forth and thought I should start shopping around and gathering info on what is best for what in doing.

1 hour ago, mason1800 said:

Thank @RockyAussie  , I'll look into these brands. Do you think just a bottom roller feed with aspirator is suffice? I had, liked the thought, of having a feed roller on top and bottom to manage the feed, but if its not needed I can look into other models and save some money. I will check on the aspirator function too.

I will be making bags, wallets, totes and so forth and thought I should start shopping around and gathering info on what is best for what in doing.

If you check my you tube channel here there is a few skiving ones that you might want to see. I hope to get another one loaded this weekend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yxXV09EYHk&t=147s If you check my web page you can see the type of wallets and totes and other stuff I make as well. I only mention this as your idea of bags and wallets etc may differ from my own in the type of equipment required. A look in my profile in the about me section will also show a lot of stuff that I make not shown on my website. Don't hesitate to ask anything as doing your homework first is always a very good idea.

mason1800,

I will consider selling my Cowboy skiver, top and bottom feed. Have used it for all types of leather. I have found when you decide to use it for mostly chrome tanned for instance, you learn to use the machine for that leather type.

Ferg

Just a curious thought:   Can a top and bottom feed skiver be easily set up so that the top feed is idle?  Maybe disconnect the top feed and replace the foot with a roller foot, or a standard foot?  

- Bill

On 9/11/2019 at 5:24 PM, Ferg said:

mason1800,

I will consider selling my Cowboy skiver, top and bottom feed. Have used it for all types of leather. I have found when you decide to use it for mostly chrome tanned for instance, you learn to use the machine for that leather type.

Ferg

@Ferg I'd be skiving chrome tanned leather and some veg. mostly Goat and gator. But @billybopp  got a pretty good idea !! Might be something to look into.  

@Ferg Ill shoot you a Message about the skiver. 

22 hours ago, billybopp said:

Just a curious thought:   Can a top and bottom feed skiver be easily set up so that the top feed is idle?  Maybe disconnect the top feed and replace the foot with a roller foot, or a standard foot?  

Hi, The top and bottom feed machines i think are aimed at heavy leathers and rubber, they come with a roller on the top feed so disconnecting wont do much and as for normal feet i think there is an option for that but i do not know the price. I am almost sure you cannot fit the normal feet (as in the bottom feed skivers only)on it, it has to be one compatible with the top feed setup if i can remember correctly. I will try to find some images later....must go.