Constabulary

Singer 16K SV 11 - I could not resist

Nice C.    No kind of thread guide on the needle clamp?

glenn

C,

Did you try a system 81 needle in the machine.  Little longer than a 135x17 needle.

glenn

Right, thread guide on clamp is missing - I think it' s broken off. It´s present on the pictures in my 1st post. Will check if I have a replacement. 135x17 works 81 is longer as you said. I just have checked the Sys. 81 needles I have. I will stick to 135x17.

Pretty long stitch length for this machine class I´d say. It comes close to 6mm :blink:

EDIT:

Thread guide replaced - thanks for the hint. ;)

IMG_8635.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

Cleaned everything, removed all the gunk and dirt crust from the parts.... I washed off everything (inside and outside) with hot a washing soda solution - that worked very well. See first 3 pictures. Clean / fresh solution, then with the added parts after a few minutes and the last pic shows the dirty solution - thats just from the parts shown in the following post.

I filled the ugly big paint chip with epoxy (see pics in 1st post). Someone put an 2nd odd pin on the ridge and thats why the paint chipped there - its not lined up with he "original" pin to the right and I think its bubba'ed :wacko:.  For those who do not like my grayish silver paint jobs I decided to keep it black this time :lol: and I kept the original decal on the backside. Front decal was mainly worn off so not worth keeping the remains I think. Put some clear black paint coat on so it looks a bit more even now. I still have some original Singer decals so maybe I´ll try to add one of them on the front side....

IMG_8667.thumb.JPG.4d4cdc3fa71c33b84156f48f91979eac.JPGIMG_8668.thumb.JPG.7c0794581343e733e4cd63741df6fa2a.JPGIMG_8669.thumb.JPG.8b96565f4dcc7c370955b8f2c96c0bd1.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

Looking pretty, although some may find the pics of completely disassembled sewing machine "innards" somewhat traumatic..;)..Reminds me of some old VW air-cooled manual pages from the 60s and 70s. Or old Giles cartoons from the same period.
btw..looking at the 3rd pic your 1st post in that group..your machine's creatine levels may be a bit high ;)

Nothing at all against the grey..your grey machines look quite "distinguished"..drab green I would not be so keen on were you to "experiment", but then given what you sew..

Agree with dikman..you are definitely getting good at this :)

Edited by mikesc

50 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

Cleaned everything, removed all the gunk and dirt crust from the parts.... I washed off everything (inside and outside) with hot a washing soda solution - that worked very well. See first 3 pictures. Clean / fresh solution, then with the added parts after a few minutes and the last pic shows the dirty solution - thats just from the parts shown in the following post.

Very nice.  Looking good.       Do you mind sharing what the hot "washing soda solution" consists of?     It did a very nice job cleaning up some very gummed up parts.

Thanks

Thanks a lot! I know it´s not everybody cup of tea what I´m doing and how I doing it but my aim always is haveing a machine I like to look at and I like to work with. I do not like to look at and work with filthy looking machines.

30 minutes ago, Scoutmom103 said:

Very nice.  Looking good.       Do you mind sharing what the hot "washing soda solution" consists of?     It did a very nice job cleaning up some very gummed up parts.

Thanks

Well just 60°C water and some washing soda - nothing else. ;) I just pour in the washing soda "by feeling" (rather too much than too less). It really removes a lot of gunk! But be careful with the decals it may damage the decals. Different brushes are helpful and Scotch Brite scroub sponges and metal sponges will remove the very sticky gunk.

39 minutes ago, mikesc said:

Looking pretty, although some may find the pics of completely disassembled sewing machine "innards" somewhat traumatic..;)..Reminds me of some old VW air-cooled manual pages from the 60s and 70s. Or old Giles cartoons from the same period.
btw..looking at the 3rd pic your 1st post in that group..your machine's creatine levels may be a bit high ;)

Nothing at all against the grey..your grey machines look quite "distinguished"..drab green I would not be so keen on were you to "experiment", but then given what you sew..

Agree with dikman..you are definitely getting good at this :)

I do not take apart the machine copletely - always just as much as necessary. Especially when parts are pinned I do not touch them as long as they are not badly worn.

What you mean with creatine level?

The 3rd solution ( picture in that post ) looks like a "sample" from an animal with kidney problems : )..Hence "creatine levels may be a bit high"..

few more close up´s in it´s "natural environment" - I like the 1st picture with the nice SIMANCO stamps. Kinda starting to like this old sucker :wub:

IMG_8692.JPG

IMG_8698.JPG

IMG_8699.JPG

IMG_8700.JPG

IMG_8707.JPG

IMG_8717.thumb.JPG.0f80981f1207c7c4007af4063a44c1ee.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

5 hours ago, Constabulary said:

For those who do not like my grayish silver paint jobs I decided to keep it black this time

:whistle: Hey Folker, you do a very good job on your machines and even the silver ones look great!:lol::thumbsup: Anyway you will have to use up all that silver paint before it dries up...;)

Great job Folker, looks very very nice, and i would give that a 9/10 for a preservation/restoration job, you just need that decal for it to be a 10/10 :P:spoton:just kidding......10/10

Damn, that looks nice! Jimi's right, it definitely needs a decal of some sort on the front, now that it's all clean it looks a bit....bland.:lol:

That is now one pretty clean machine there..yep..another vote for the decal on the front.. :)

Edited by mikesc
syntax

it for sure will get a decal - who do you think I'am? :lol: NB thread guide is back on too - found a couple of NOS guides.

Did some testing yesterday - max. material thickness it can handle is 6.5mm - 7mm then the jump foot stops working but it still sews. But you cannot block the jump foot to stay static (as on Adler 4 / 5 machine) so practically this thickness is the max.. Maybe I can tweak it a bit more but I doubt!

Edited by Constabulary

12 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

it for sure will get a decal - who do you think I'am? :lol: NB thread guide is back on too - found a couple of NOS guides.

Did some testing yesterday - max. material thickness it can handle is 6.5mm - 7mm then the jump foot stops working but it still sews. But you cannot block the jump foot to stay static (as on Adler 4 / 5 machine) so practically this thickness is the max.. Maybe I can tweak it a bit more but I doubt!

I have a 1920s Singer 42-5  and no matter what I do it cannot sew more than 5/16 inch, which is about 8mm.

Great job as usual C!

glenn

Investigation went on B) and I figured some interesting details on this old work horse.

I´m not into domestic machines but the long beak shuttle hook seems to be the same as for the early Singer Class 15 machines. How do I know?

It happens thats I´m studying old manual parts lists and catalogues to find cross use of parts (if you know what I mean) and a while ago I found an old 1940´s parts catalogue from a German aftermarket parts mfg  and by the Lord - they have parts of this particular Class 16 jump foot machine in their catalogue :blink:  Now that really surprised me!

IMG_0821.JPG

IMG_0822.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

some more.

Interesting the hint "Bei Bestellung bitte Muster senden" - thats means:  "Send in the original parts when ordering spares".

So that makes me think that only a few of these parts (or 16KSV11 machines) were made but have not been mass produced - AND - I guess the company who is seeling these "special parts" probably made these parts for Singer and most likely only for the Singer factory in Witternberge, Germany. Remember - I found this machine approx 30km west of the former Singer factory in Wittenberge! I also guess this particular SV machine COULD have been produced or modified exclusively in the Singer Wittenberge factory. This of course is just my wild guess but it could well be. But I don´t know.

IMG_0826.thumb.JPG.d08cf2c2fe97ffb736f6be7d916027d4.JPG

IMG_0827.thumb.JPG.09bd73600eb162a3fd116fdd1cc21f67.JPGIMG_8692.JPG.fcc184e17d4676dd7f296563eeca7c92.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

A few month ago I applied one of the original Singer decals I discovered once. LW member EVO160K did this on his Singer 45K too and I tried this the first time. Turned out quite well. The glue (MICROSCLAE MI-8) remains do not look as bad as on the picture, the flash makes it look "not so nice" but in real life it looks better. I could scrape it off but I leave it as is.

IMG_0243.thumb.JPG.0d019849a759a056c7bdc3857b2ce02e.thumb.JPG.a905ad203ac75780ed00c70f1c3d6cca.JPG

IMG_0246.thumb.JPG.fcc31f32e4ff9af37708c046b83bb23a.thumb.JPG.5bc5c10d0ddd2a7877bc216262c99d47.JPGIMG_0248.thumb.JPG.4446e4fdd62871aa1ca31d035d8b4afc.thumb.JPG.a657fa95bcf9b71bb6ae449501257448.JPG

IMG_2046.JPG

IMG_2050.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

It’s always a pleasure to read (and reread) your machine building threads.  

I have some decals for a Singer 221 ( the featherweight/light? model) I have resurrected from an up cycler’s silver paint job, but I haven’t had the nerve to tackle the decals yet.:innocent:

I think I’d have to get round to dusting mine before posting any pictures.:blush: