Frodo

metric to inches

Tons to tonnes depends on which ton..US tons are "short" UK ( and I think Aussie tons ) are "long"
USA ton = 0.907 tonnes
UK ton = 0.98421 tonnes
https://www.convertunits.com/from/tons/to/metric+tonnes ( requires javascript ..USA short tons )
https://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/long-tons-to-metric-tons.htm ( no scripting required UK long tons )

ps..If anyone is going to be converting metric..this site has apps.

https://www.metric-conversions.org/

"Looking at how many ml or fluid ounces left in my beer glass and laughing."

When it was full, was it full ( poured ) in ml or fl oz ?

At least it isn't empty..that would be sad.

if your pattern is in metric then use  metric tape if its in inches use a tape in inches. Don't try to figure out the stuff you don't need to its irrelevant and a waste of time.

Each millimeter is .03937 of an inch. But as others have stated just get a metric ruler or tape and have at it

This topic tickles me to tears. I was in the aerospace industry for about 35 years where the third and fourth decimal places mattered, but, hey, this is leather, not titanium.  If you need to worry about the third decimal place, you're way over-engineering.  Have you ever hear the phrase, "measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, and cut it with an axe"?  2.54 cm per inch and put it to bed!

Obviously the OP understands both systems as everyone should. Its an easy matter to measure directly in both systems given the tools. This is not rocket surgery. :)

I got off my lazy buttock and just reversed engendered the thing in numbers I understand

now i have a template 

All of my measuring tools have both inches and millimeters -- rulers, yard sticks and steel tapes. I didn't know that you could buy one that didn't.

nick

7 minutes ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

All of my measuring tools have both inches and millimeters -- rulers, yard sticks, cloth tapes and steel tapes. I did not know that you could buy one that did not have both.

oh, aye ye can. I have sewing tape measures just in metric or just imperial and some with both.  Some tape measures which have both have the two scales on opposite sides of the material ie, front & back and some have the measures on each edge. When it comes to rulers I dislike the ones which have the measures on each edge but starting at opposite ends.

5 hours ago, fredk said:

oh, aye ye can. I have sewing tape measures just in metric or just imperial and some with both.  Some tape measures which have both have the two scales on opposite sides of the material ie, front & back and some have the measures on each edge. When it comes to rulers I dislike the ones which have the measures on each edge but starting at opposite ends.

Okay, Fred... maybe on your side of the Pond. It seems like every time that I pick up my ruler, I have the wrong side up. If I need inches, its millimeters or vice versa. Ha!

I once had a girlfriend from Oxford. I asked her what was the best thing about living in the US? Her answer was -- flow-through tea bags! That was nearly 30 years ago. Maybe you have them over there now!

nick

I put both measurements on the price tags of my belts, both inches & centimetres.  I work in both,  for example, a 38" belt is 97 cm , 37" is  94 cm , and so on. A lot of my customers are either or neither and can't make their damn minds up !!! 

"You like potato and I like potahto
You like tomato and I like tomahto
Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto
Let's call the whole thing off " 

HS 

I have a metric crescent  wrench. 

I finally got of my rear end and made the template in inches from a metric system

the conversion was really very easy  using common sense and not over thinking

template   wood.jpg

42 minutes ago, Frodo said:

I have a metric crescent  wrench.

My crescent wrenches fit all measurement systems!  My pipe wrenches also!

Tom

^^^ What Tom said.

6 minutes ago, Northmount said:

My crescent wrenches fit all measurement systems!  My pipe wrenches also!

Tom

mine also..but it says ''metric'' which makes me laugh when i see it

1 minute ago, Frodo said:

mine also..but it says ''metric'' which makes me laugh when i see it

I have crescent wrench that has a mm scale on one side of the jaw, and fractional inches on the other side.  I guess that's to help pick the right box end wrench after you bust your knuckles.

Tom

There ya go with the differences in terminology.

I think what you guys are describing is known to me as an 'adjustable'

To me a 'crescent' spanner/wrench is C shaped with a small hook on the inside of the top curve, at the edge. Its used for loosening & tightening special nuts such as found on the handlebars head bearings and the pedal bearing box on bicycles and certain parts on vintage Austin 7 cars. The gap between the jaws of the C are measured to fit the special nut properly

13 minutes ago, fredk said:

There ya go with the differences in terminology.

I think what you guys are describing is known to me as an 'adjustable'

To me a 'crescent' spanner/wrench is C shaped with a small hook on the inside of the top curve, at the edge. Its used for loosening & tightening special nuts such as found on the handlebars head bearings and the pedal bearing box on bicycles and certain parts on vintage Austin 7 cars. The gap between the jaws of the C are measured to fit the special nut properly

different terminology

I was transferred to Colorado to get a job started,   I kept hearing guys talking about an ''excavator' that was on it's way to move dirt. thye way they talked this was one badazz machine. I had no idea what an ''excavator'' was, so I just kept my mouth shut and eyes open to see.

Truck pulled onto the job site with the ''excavator''

LOL  That is a ''TRACK HOE""   every one knows that.   

Edited by Frodo

5 hours ago, fredk said:

To me a 'crescent' spanner/wrench is C shaped

Here is a crescent wrench by most North American usage.  It is an adjustable wrench, I believe originally made by the Crescent Co.

Crescent wrench.jpg

Tom

22 minutes ago, Northmount said:

Here is a crescent wrench by most North American usage.  It is an adjustable wrench, I believe originally made by the Crescent Co.

Crescent wrench.jpg

Tom

an 'adjustable'

a C or crescent spanner

Image result for bicycle c spanner

9 minutes ago, Mark842 said:

spoil-sport   :lol:

7 hours ago, fredk said:

an 'adjustable'

a C or crescent spanner

Image result for bicycle c spanner

spoil-sport   :lol:

crescent wrench
[crescent wrench]

NOUN
NORTH AMERICAN
trademark
  1. an adjustable wrench designed to grip hexagonal nuts, with an adjusting screw fitted in the crescent-shaped head of the wrench.

adjustable wrench

Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
    ThesaurusAntonymsRelated WordsSynonymsLegend:
    Switch to new thesaurus
    Noun 1. adjustable wrench - an adjustable tool for gripping hexagonal nuts, with an adjustings crew in the head of the implementadjustable wrench - an adjustable tool for gripping hexagonal nuts, with an adjustings crew in the head of the implement
    monkey wrench, monkey-wrench - adjustable wrench that has one fixed and one adjustable jaw
    pipe wrench, tube wrench - adjustable wrench for gripping and turning a pipe; has two serrated jaws that are adjusted to grip the pipe
    screw wrench - adjustable wrench that has one jaw that can be adjusted by turning a screw
    spanner, wrench - a hand tool that is used to hold or twist a nut or bolt

14 hours ago, Frodo said:

different terminology

I was transferred to Colorado to get a job started,   I kept hearing guys talking about an ''excavator' that was on it's way to move dirt. thye way they talked this was one badazz machine. I had no idea what an ''excavator'' was, so I just kept my mouth shut and eyes open to see.

Truck pulled onto the job site with the ''excavator''

LOL  That is a ''TRACK HOE""   every one knows that.   

Might be a regional difference. Here in the SF Bay Area, you have backhoes (rubber tires, arm swings 90 degrees left or right) and excavators (tracks, house rotates 360 degrees). Backhoes are all similar in size (Kubotas don’t count) and excavators come in many sizes, from the little “Fisher-Price”-sized mini-ex to so big the tracks hang off both sides of the low-boy when they bring it on site.

The contractors I usually use for trenching prefer an excavator for digging and a bobcat (skid steer) for moving spoils and placing backfill.

Here in Oz, a 'crescent wrench  ', as you call it ,  or an adjustable  spanner, as we call it,  is also called an ' AFS'   " any f*&^ing size " . 

This is going a bit off topic , unless of course you're trying to use a 'crescent wrench'  or   an ' adjustable spanner' to open a  drum of dye ?  :)

HS 

4 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Here in Oz, a 'crescent wrench  ', as you call it ,  or an adjustable  spanner, as we call it,  is also called an ' AFS'   " any f*&^ing size " . 

This is going a bit off topic , unless of course you're trying to use a 'crescent wrench'  or   an ' adjustable spanner' to open a  drum of dye ?  :)

HS 

OH!! ... you mean a 'several sixteenths' wrench. :)

3 hours ago, TonyRV2 said:

OH!! ... you mean a 'several sixteenths' wrench. :)

8 hours ago, Handstitched said:

AKA "Swedish nut lathe" or "Chinese nut f***er", depending on the origin of your preferred fastener-rounding tool.

Your countryman Ron Edwards depicted a way of cutting the top off an oil drum using one of the old-fashioned F-shaped adjustable spanners and a hammer. "Crude, noisy and slow... but effective."

I spose, though, a chap could drive a punch, a stamp or a saddle nail with a stilly, or even the millwrong's favourite friend... 99JPaSgWMTxL6iKZkvKBwQ_store_logo_image?